• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is always good to see new terrain opened up. Thinks it is great for blue and green above timberline runs to be developed. As stated in the article that is not something that many places offer for a beginners or intermediates. This sport is going to need all the cookies it can bake to keep growing in numbers for the future.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
TS
P

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for those maps Nathanvg. Better picture than the one in the article. I assume those are from their Master plan. They have started the permitting process for this expansion and lift, so they are moving forward, but it's going to be some time before it opens. The upgrade of the Peru quad to a 6-pack is being pushed back a year. They are also planning to replace the old double out of the Mountain House area with a detachable going to the summit. I would guess this new expansion is after those two projects.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Nice to see some more difficult lift-served terrain included in this. That is one thing I feel Keystone needs badly. In my recent experience skiing there, there is not much difficult terrain to ski. I feel this becomes a safety issue, since the advanced ski and board crowd instead starts to bomb the blue runs to get their thrills. And many of those runs have blind rollers... maybe this will entertain that crowd?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see some more difficult lift-served terrain included in this. That is one thing I feel Keystone needs badly. In my recent experience skiing there, there is not much difficult terrain to ski. I feel this becomes a safety issue, since the advanced ski and board crowd instead starts to bomb the blue runs to get their thrills. And many of those runs have blind rollers... maybe this will entertain that crowd?
I haven’t skied the terrain in Independence, Bergman or Erickson Bowls but it doesn’t look very steep. I would not classify any of the North or South Bowls terrain as steep either. While it’ll be a nice addition I don’t think there’s any in bounds or hike to terrain at Keystone which is much more difficult than what’s already easily accessible. Unless I’m mistaken about the new terrain, Keystone will always be a beginner and intermediate paradise with long, low angled black mogul terrain and nice tree terrain if you know where to look.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven’t skied the terrain in Independence, Bergman or Erickson Bowls but it doesn’t look very steep. I would not classify any of the North or South Bowls terrain as steep either. While it’ll be a nice addition I don’t think there’s any in bounds or hike to terrain at Keystone which is much more difficult than what’s already easily accessible. Unless I’m mistaken about the new terrain, Keystone will always be a beginner and intermediate paradise with long, low angled black mogul terrain and nice tree terrain if you know where to look.
I'd tend to agree. Keystone's run rating are easier than most ski areas with high concentrations of easy blues and easy blacks. This expansion wont change that but it will add some additional areas for advanced skiers to explore. The general rule of thumb is that blacks have sustained pitches between 24-34 and double blacks from 35+. The below image shows that the only significant area of true blacks are in the windows and a few runs on north peak. Ericson bowl (labeled stray horse on the map) and independence bowl add some additional advanced terrain with the only the former in the 1st phase of alpine expansion.

Keystone advanced terrain: (red is 24-35 degrees, yellow 35+)
1588729146034.png

Interactive link: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39....=t&n=0.25&a=sc_s24-34cFF0000,sc_s35-45cF0F000

TS
P

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I see this proposed expansion as somewhat similar to the Breck Peak 6 expansion. Gives intermediates the experience of being in the above treeline high alpine terrain. Makes sense for the Keystone clientele.

I have a somewhat better view of Keystone compared to many CO locals. Some of the best long fairly challenging blue runs in Summit County and nice selection of bumps and trees for more advanced skiers. Powder can be found in Outback runs like Bushwacker long after the locals have trashed the good stuff at Breck.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is a lot to be said for the idea of keeping Keystones personality and predominant terrain to the mellow side. Not everywhere needs to be high on the gnar scale, a lot of us might appreciate that, but the majority of skiers whose spending keep the lifts spinning aren't such big fans. There are 3 other playgrounds in Summit County where we can find something steep enough to kickstart the endorphins, let Keystone have all of the crowd pleasing terrain they want.

A place for everything and everything in its' place.

Sponsor

Staff online