• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pros and cons of bib pants?

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am bib fan and will never go back. No more wind in my back, can sit in the snow without problems... I run warm and never found them too warm (they are just shell gore Tex / futurelight). For spring skiing I just wear a light merino t-shirt under and that’s perfect.

If you don’t want to buy a full bib, some brands such as flylow have « high waist » pants (Tannen) or bib tha can be transformed in pants (compound).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Suspenders lead to bibs.

Bibs lead to onesies.

Onesies lead to @Jacques :D
1634352882331.png

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find true bibs don’t work for me warmth wise: I often don’t want an extra layer on my torso.

I love my “semi-bibs” basically old fashioned dress pants style: high rise (almost belly bottom in front, even a bit higher in back), suspenders, some elastic in the side, but losser fit than pants/belt would be.

They keep snow/wind out, aren’t too warm, and on cold days reduce the number of elastic waistbands digging into my hips by 1, and allow me to tuck even bulky upper body layers into them, without being to tight.

And I since they have a regular fly, bathroom breaks for a pee are no more difficult (actually easier, since there is no belt buckle to deal with, and I don’t worry about dropping them on the floor, even if the pockets are loaded with stuff)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Suspenders lead to bibs.

Bibs lead to onesies.

Onesies lead to @Jacques :D

This evolution thing ain't kicking in. I've been stuck on the suspender plateau for couple decades.

Wait. I started with bibs in the 70's. Transitioned to onesies in '83. Part of the 90's too. Now I find myself marooned on the never ending suspender plateau. Yikes! I must be caught in the time warp induced devolution track instead.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wait. I started with bibs in the 70's. Transitioned to onesies in '83. Part of the 90's too. Now I find myself marooned on the never ending suspender plateau. Yikes! I must be caught in the time warp induced devolution track instead.

Cross training works wonders. I'm bringing my onesie for the bike ride today.

Just no drilling of trees. :eek: :crossfingers:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I have 2 pants, 1 thin &1 thick, and a bib.

The thin pants is for warm days. the thick pants for colder days. But it often failed me with winds up my back. So for truly cold days, the bib it is.

Oddly, I don't use the shoulder strap. I just let it hang down on my side. It's not long enough go outside the jacket anyway. By playing with the zipper (low, middle, full up), I can adjust the tightness of the big to account for changing waist during the day (after lunch)

For the OP's issue, I'd say bib it is.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have and use both, the bibs on the coldest days, pants with a belt on others. It was difficult to find the pants with belt loops, I have some pants with out belt loops and just a side Velcro adjustment on each side. Also some shell pants with just elastic waist band. These probably could use some suspenders but I haven't used the suspenders in a while. BTW they are all a PIA when using the restroom.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always wore suspenders....I can tell when one "pops" after a mogul run, the pants start sagging down my butt LOL. I hate having ski pants cinched tight around my waist

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My current pants start out tight and are loose by end of day so require some adjusting as I sweat and ski and stretch them out. This can be annoying, especially if I have to stop mid run. Will bib pants help with this? Is it annoying to have shoulder straps under your jacket all day? Can you still easily pee? What does the board think? I had bibs for snowplay when I was a kid but have never skied in them.

Cons? Not many, going to the bathroom takes 2 more seconds and maybe they can be a tad warm some days. If you find a good pair of bibs get em.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
No one wants to mention it, but bibs are the ticket if you have any kind of belly and no butt or hips. My pants are always falling off my butt, and I end up cinching the belt REALLY tight. Bibs solve that problem and then have a little room to let your stomach breathe.

Maybe it's just an old man problem....

I have zero butt so I have that issue :roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Arcteryx top of the line Bib pants. No downside.

Absolutely no stretch whatsoever. That's the one downside I can think of. Otherwise Theta bibs-Da Bomb.Full zip-YUGE plus.
Another one is the fit. As with every other Arcteryx, the bibs fit is athletic-close to the body. This might not be to the liking of some of the more snowboardy persuasion who like their pants as if they stole them from their older brother-Andre The Giant.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'm shopping for a new pair of full-side zip pants, they are hard to find!

They are. If you're part of a program as a coach or athlete, the stuff is still available and ordered in the spring. But retailers, including the online race-focused places {Artech, Race Weeks, RRS} seem to be stocking far less clothing.

I'd check with the Holmers at Race-Place. you can speak to Eric, or Scott. They sell a lot of Artica, which is decent stuff, but fits small. Not for my fit. They would know what Spyder makes. It's been cut way back, I believe.

SYNC Performance is another good source. Nice stuff.

My brother has a couple of pairs made by Marker. Full zip, lots of pockets. Decent pants.

NONE of it compares with the quality of team issue stuff made by the "usual suspects" who outfit the National Teams. For example, Spyder sells none of that to the "general public." On the secondary new or used market.....good stuff.

Watch for @ScotsSkier's closet sale. Or contact him. I'd also look at SideLineswap.com, and keep watching. Many USST athletes unload things on there.

What size are you??

Good luck.

Sponsor