• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pros and cons of bib pants?

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm shopping for a new pair of full-side zip pants, they are hard to find!
Patagonia Triolet is full zip. It may be more Alpine oriented than skiing.

Spyder Tarantula are full side zip

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Patagonia Triolet is full zip. It may be more Alpine oriented than skiing.

Spyder Tarantula are full side zip

Betting he wants insulation. And to fit over a race suit. Tarantula is a good call! Lot of paces stock them. Race-Place for one. Holmer family are great people.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Watch for @ScotsSkier's closet sale. Or contact him. I'd also look at SideLineswap.com, and keep watching. Many USST athletes unload things on there.

What size are you??

Good luck.

Whatever size corresponds to ~6'1" and 180 lbs.

Betting he wants insulation. And to fit over a race suit. Tarantula is a good call! Lot of paces stock them. Race-Place for one. Holmer family are great people.
Yes to insulation for over my DH suit! I will check out the RP site, the Tarantula are nice, but I'm trying to get away from black pants to add a little spice to my life. :)

These look promising:
as do these:

Neither have suspenders, but that's an easy fix.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

Yes to insulation for over my DH suit! I will check out the RP site, the Tarantula are nice, but I'm trying to get away from black pants to add a little spice to my life. :)

These look promising:
as do these:

arctica's pants come with suspenders

I have like 8 pairs of arctica suspenders in a closet somewhere, because I don't use them.

1634508975224.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Saw a Descente Canuk pant in a store. Insulated, full side zip. But if you want color, probably Arctica.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have Burton Snowboarder Gortex bibs with 7 pockets, inner thigh vent zippers, mesh lined hip zip pockets for venting. But the best feature is an elastic pull cord loop about 8" from the cuff hem on the back of the pant leg; pull on the loop and it raises the bottom of the cuff at the heel. This is so snowboard bros can wear their pants bibs low slung without stepping on the cuff's hem. However for skiers this raised up cuff at the heel eliminates any chance of catching the cuff in the binding heel piece. Especially important for those with short legs and long pant legs.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

These look promising:
as do these:

@bbbradley
I think the length of ,most of what I have will be on the short side unfortunately. I'm shrinking as I get old and new hunt for short length when i can find them. Most of the time I am wearing my coaches bibs these days so my other pants only see use on race days. I have had good luck with Arctica in the past, they are pretty hard wearing. However the insulation in them is pretty light compared to most of my spyder ones.

@Muleski . Excellent reminder of the ANNUAL SCOTSSKIER CLOSTE SALE which is coming VERY soon!. been too busy with work to get it up earlier BUT the closet seems to be overflowing even more than usual!. Lots of skis both race (GS, SG and Sl) and free ski (liberty and DPS), several back protectors, bindings new spyder pants, etc.... . Feel free to send radvance requesteequests, i may well have it!!!

Also soem cheaper race skis, still in good shape available for local pick up only . Watch this space!!!

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
No one wants to mention it, but bibs are the ticket if you have any kind of belly and no butt or hips. My pants are always falling off my butt, and I end up cinching the belt REALLY tight. Bibs solve that problem and then have a little room to let your stomach breathe.
Dislike bibs, probably because I have no butt, no hips and no belly so beltline of bibs ends up around my eyes.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm late to the discussion but wanted to add that I am a bib convert. Stio Environ bib won me over a few seasons ago and have since had/used Stio Objective, Houdini Rollercoaster and now Norrona Tamok bibs. I've been super happy with all of them and will not go back to traditional ski pants for my everyday gear. Comfort level is up and they have a certain steeze factor. Only downside in my mind is spring skiing on those really hot, mogul focused days but I'd be sweating regardless and you can always go with the Carhart and no shirt look if you are daring enough.

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
An older post, but just saw this posted by truberski...im looking at bibs and the amok and rollercoaster were recommended as a possibly slimmer option for those skinny folks. Quick question, did you find the high waist of either to be cumbersome? I see a lot o bibs with a stretch upper which seems to be more logical.....ala drew capos, strafe etc....any thoughts apprised...and the objective looks nice too...i prefer something almost stretchy and quiet and want to forget iim wearing anything...thanks

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My current pants start out tight and are loose by end of day so require some adjusting as I sweat and ski and stretch them out. This can be annoying, especially if I have to stop mid run. Will bib pants help with this? Is it annoying to have shoulder straps under your jacket all day? Can you still easily pee? What does the board think? I had bibs for snowplay when I was a kid but have never skied in them.

pros? Everything

cons? Potty breaks and heat

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
pros? Everything

cons? Potty breaks and heat

I appreciate all the advice in this thread. I did get some bibs and I love them so far. The potty break is the only negative I've experienced. My backside has been nice and toasty this season.

SS350

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bringing this up to the top... I've got a pair of Medium (short 30" inseam) Flylow Baker Bibs - I normally wear a size 33W 30L or 34W 30L. I probably should have been in a Large b/c when I sit down (charilift/lunch/driving) the bib portion is pulling on my gut way more then I'd like and making any sweat in my baselayers just get clammy. Everyone says Bib's are more comfortable I THINK because they followed the size chart right and they float over the body. I'm tempted to go back to pants - since I LIKE the feeling of a belt around my hips.

But if i follow the size chart correctly maybe the Stio Environ bib with the half heigh and full front zip would work and float correctly? https://www.stio.com/products/mens-environ-bib

cheers

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Behold the magnificence of my new bibs:

One of the absolute best purchases E-VER!