• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pros/Cons to heating Atomic Hawx 110 Ultra

Edd

Booting up
Skier
Recently purchased my second pair of these after a successful 5 year (150 ski days) run with the first pair. After 6 days or so, I’m still messing with buckles before and after lift rides, as keeping them tight causes one or both feet to get numb. Very similar to the first pair. Performance is good when boots are tight.

But one of the boots is slightly slower to turn than the other. This is my smaller calf/foot, which I have to tighten more than the other.

I didn’t have the boots cooked when purchased. I’m wondering if having them cooked will address this issue I’m having. Is there a downside to cooking them?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Frankly i do not see how heat molding the shell would solve the issue at hand…

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it wouldn’t solve that, what’d be the purpose of having the shell be moldable?

To solve cases with extremely hot spots where molding the liner is not enough for instance. Molding the shell is a nuclear option and as such should be left for last resort when everything else is proven insufficient.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
To solve cases with extremely hot spots where molding the liner is not enough for instance. Molding the shell is a nuclear option and as such should be left for last resort when everything else is proven insufficient.

This....yet the liner can be molded around 5X. Get the liner heated.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree with Tony and Jilly .Mold the liner first -usually the liner will conform to the foot within the confines of the shell.
if it doesn’t, there are numerous ways to manipulate the shell and liner if it’s really needed. Unless your feet and calves are radically different, shell molding shouldn’t be needed

Last edited:

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Nope, nothing. Is there a reason to heat the liner and not the shell?
Reason to heat the shell --> you need to make more space. Shell heating is all about creating more room. Don't want more room? Don't do this.

Reason to heat the liner --> the shell is the correct shape for your foot and you want to optimize the shape of the liner to your foot/shell combo.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quote: Reason to heat the shell --> you need to make more space. Shell heating is all about creating more room. Don't want more room? Don't do this.

This aligns with my experience. I tried a pair on, they fit really nice. The salesman did the heating process, the boot felt like I was in a 5 gallon "Homer bucket". They had to order in a new pair for me.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I always get the liner done first. Punching and grinding are final, so should be done as a last resort.

New boots this year....heated the liners, moved the tongue. Skied a few days so I could map out the problems. Couple of small punches instead of heating the shell. Good to go.

Sponsor