• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Proven Gear Winners

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
While there is always a lot of buzz about new gear, and for purposes of this thread lets include both hard and soft goods, but, there are many products still in use that have stood the test of time and continue to be top shelf. Let's identify some and the reasons why.

I start by nominating Smith I/O & I/O X goggles for flat light conditions. I first found out them 6 years ago while in Jackson Hole during a foggy, snowy week, and, my goggles just did not cut it. Really, why struggle in bad light when you are 1500 miles from home on an expensive ski week at a great mountain? Philpug had a pair of I/O and just gushed about they were the best in flat light. Since then, I bought the I/O X and have to agree that they work far better than any traditional lens I ever had in flat light. For me, they also work well in brighter light conditions, so, they are my daily driver so lens change-out is minimal. I know the competition has introduced lenses that get compared favorably, but, personally, I've no reason to change. Smith has always been at the cutting edge of lens technology, and, it's their core business...I like that.

Quick disclaimer, these goggles fit/seal my face pretty well and the larger I/O X gives far more surface area for viewing. They also work well with my helmet. We all know that goggle fit/function is an individual thing.

So, what are your nominations?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Which lens as I suspect that is a primary driver of performance? I'm an IO/X owner but need something with better low light vis.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
So do I. The photochromic red sensor lens doesn't seem any better than the rd sensor mirror.
If you find a good lens for flat light, please let me know.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Edit of my OP, my review was using my Smith Red Sensor lens. Smith does have lenses that let more light in, so, these are not Smith's best for light transmission. Check out the Smith site for the full spectrum on their lenses.

BTW, I hope this thread does not turn into an extended discussion of any one product.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will let @Alexzn and @Bill Talbot talk about their favorite proven winners. Me? There are a few, one is my Smith Sensor's but I prefer the blue over the red. For airplane travel, I love the Transpack Sidekick Pro. It is a backpack that you can carry your boots on. There is a spot for the laptop and of all the backpack designs, it is by far the most comfortable to wear when rushing through a busy airport. It also is one one the easiest to get into the overhead compartment.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Find me a jacket zipper that lasts more than two seasons and then take my money.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'll nominate two obvious suspects:

Look Pivot / Rossi FKS bindings -- one of the most beloved and proven designs out there. I believe they were discontinued for a bit until a consumer uproar brought them back. People love them because they work like you expect bindings to work, keeping you in when you're supposed to, letting go when you need them to. Many claim they're able to run a smaller DIN without pre-release compared to other clamps. Whether you buy the 12, 14 or 18 DIN version, you get the same, uber-durable all-metal heel piece. Unfortunately only they 18 comes with the metal, single-pivot toe piece that many love--which is why some also horde the discontinued DIN15 version that was all metal with a more reasonable DIN range for most skiers.

Salomon STH(2) / Atomic FFG bindings with Driver toe -- the evolution of the long-live 9xx series design with a few modern touches. Consistent release. Nice clunk on entry. Easy to source and replace brake widths. Reliable, last as long as anything out there when you get the steel toe and heel piece models. Manual boot toe wing adjustment is nice for worn out boot soles.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I will let @Alexzn and @Bill Talbot talk about their favorite proven winners. Me? There are a few, one is my Smith Sensor's but I prefer the blue over the red. For airplane travel, I love the Transpack Sidekick Pro. It is a backpack that you can carry your boots on. There is a spot for the laptop and of all the backpack designs, it is by far the most comfortable to wear when rushing through a busy airport. It also is one one the easiest to get into the overhead compartment.

The Transpack line of boot bags is fantastic! I have the TRV Pro, and I absolutely love it!

The back pack feature is very functional and comfortable, with (storable) padded shoulder straps, a waist belt, and sternum strap.
It frees my hands for skis, poles, and coffee in the morning, and for skis, poles, and a beer in the afternoon.
I coudl not recommend it more highly. And now they have heated models.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anon M1 Goggles have been great , interchanging the lenses is a snap. The heated boot bag by Hot Gear is a game changer when putting on boots on a cold day.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
LEKI Powder Baskets- 5 inches of powder-floating surface, tilts to match slope angle both when skiing and touring, tilts for packing (packs flat in ski bag), fits all pencil poles thinner than 11mm. Best $20 upgrade for a powder pole ever.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
Cat Tracks. Brought to you by a former NFL player. When I don't use them in the parking lot, I sometimes find myself suddenly and inexplicably on the ground. I also use them hiking. I tried SkiSkootys but they wore through at the heel and take up more room.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Insignificant but important: SkiGee. Think of another piece of ski gear you can buy for two bucks that's of any value at all. Or think of any other piece of ski gear you can buy for two bucks..............................

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cat Tracks. Brought to you by a former NFL player. When I don't use them in the parking lot, I sometimes find myself suddenly and inexplicably on the ground. I also use them hiking. I tried SkiSkootys but they wore through at the heel and take up more room.

Referee, actually. He is now the CBS analyst on replays and that sort of thing.

(NFL referee should fall under "Proven Most Excellent Job Opportunity." What a gig.)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Insignificant but important: SkiGee. Think of another piece of ski gear you can buy for two bucks that's of any value at all. Or think of any other piece of ski gear you can buy for two bucks..............................

Have you put yours on one of those self-rewinding pass holder thingies yet and clipped it to your coat?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, the Yaktrax are some of the best.

yaktrax-skitrax-ski-boot-protection-13.gif

The stay on better than the Cat Tracks and are rockered like the Skootys without that nub on the back

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Dry Guy boot heater/dryers without the fan (or equivalent) -- cheap, quiet, easy to pack on a trip, and if used with an inverter, can warm your boots on the way to the mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online