• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you have ever read any of David MacPhail's posts on his blog The Skier's Manifesto, note that his latest post states that he will delete the entire site in the next few days. While I haven't always agreed with everything David has posted, he has explored some very interesting areas of gear setup when it comes to stance alignment. There is some valuable stuff buried in that site that I'm sure I haven't even read yet.

Of course, the Way Back Machine will probably make it possible to reference much of the site for some time, but I have also used WinHTTrack to copy the entire site before it goes bye bye.

James

Out There
Instructor
A few days? I remember when he announced one year. Very unfortunate. The site is a mess to navigate, but lots of unique and very good info.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s a shame, did he state why?
Edit: Never mind, I’m reading it now.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like he is reconsidering. If you're interested in a deeper understanding of the bio-mechanics of the human foot ( and really the whole kinetic chain) in skiing, you might want to join in on the conversation. David has been exploring this subject for decades and he's been attempting to apply science to the issue of how we can best use ( or unlock the power of ) our wonderfully complex evolved foot locked up in a hard plastic boot. Well, that's at least my take on his research.

THE SKIER’S MANIFESTO: REBOOT OR DELETE?

Thank you for all who have commented. I listen and I hear you.
I started this blog as a manifesto for skiers to interact and contribute to the betterment of this great sport. I view knowledge as dynamic. Positions on issues should change in response to new and better information. Without this process learning cannot happen.
A significant challenge to making the Manifesto serve this purpose is that it has been difficult for me to know the nature of the information my readers are seeking and whether my posts are providing this information or even resonating with my readers. When put up a post I need to get feedback, suggestions and yes, criticism. If you don’t agree with my position on an issue please tell me. As a critical thinker (self-critical) I always entertain the posssibility that my position on issue is wrong. At the very least my explanations may not be clear. If this is the case, I need to know.
If you want me to post on a certain subject, please let me know. Without this information I could be wasting my time.
The uncertainty as to the nature of the information my readers are seeking or subjects that will be found in search engines has resulted in post threads that are disjointed as expressed by the comment below from a follower:
While the blog might be improved by some minor rearranging of the sequence of blogs, the important thing is that the information is in there. You have, in fact, suggested sequences for the practical application of several principles, boot fitting for example.
An easy way for me to address this issue is to repost existing posts in a sequence that will group them together according to the subject. After I respost the older post I can edit it in response to comments. So instead of deleting the blog I am proposing culling some posts and reposting and collating existing posts. But I can’t do it without your input and especially your suggestions.
I believe a good starting point is a discussion of how our hard-wired mechanism for walking applies to skiing and especially what is called steering. Does everyone agree? If not please suggest a subject.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Whew! That's a lot.
Some aspects must put the hairs up on some.
Like the foot bed position. Un needed?

tomgellie

Putting on skis
Instructor
If you have ever read any of David MacPhail's posts on his blog The Skier's Manifesto, note that his latest post states that he will delete the entire site in the next few days. While I haven't always agreed with everything David has posted, he has explored some very interesting areas of gear setup when it comes to stance alignment. There is some valuable stuff buried in that site that I'm sure I haven't even read yet.

Of course, the Way Back Machine will probably make it possible to reference much of the site for some time, but I have also used WinHTTrack to copy the entire site before it goes bye bye.
Did you end up getting a copy of his site? I’d like to revisit some of his posts if possible. I feel like I can better understand and translate his intentions now.
Thanks

Treeskier

Booting up
Skier
Hi All! I'm new here, was old on the Manifesto. So, I somehow missed the opportunity to copy the PDF from the link David posted on his site and was hoping that someone here might have one that I could copy. I realized how much I missed when I printed the list of posts from the website.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All! I'm new here, was old on the Manifesto. So, I somehow missed the opportunity to copy the PDF from the link David posted on his site and was hoping that someone here might have one that I could copy. I realized how much I missed when I printed the list of posts from the website.
Paging @Deadslow

Treeskier

Booting up
Skier
I don't know how many posts are included in the PDF, but there are over 250 listed in the List of Blog Posts David published. That list is incomplete by my estimation as I have printouts of some blogs which are not listed.

Sponsor

Staff online