• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is really tough, is having a injured child as a patient when you are a patroller and having to search for parents. The kids are usually ok to deal with but we need the parents to help with info, consent, and transport home etc. One problem is we do not have cell coverage.
I've often thought about this.
Most helmet manufacturers have a small sticker in the box with the helmet that has emergency contact information to fill out and stick inside the helmet. I wonder how many people use those stickers. I know I don't but probably should.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a good thread. While it was still fresh in my head, I've just added to my iPhone the respective phone numbers for Taos and Jackson Hole ski patrols -- since those are two places where I know I'll be skiing this season. In case anyone wants them, they are:

Taos: 575-776-2291 ext. 2211

Jackson Hole: 307-739-2650​

I took the numbers from the previous-season trail maps (2018-19 for Taos; 2016-17 for JH). Just in case either resort's ski patrol numbers have recently changed, it might be good to double-check before skiing at either place.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is a good thread. While it was still fresh in my head, I've just added to my iPhone the respective phone numbers for Taos and Jackson Hole ski patrols -- since those are two places where I know I'll be skiing this season. In case anyone wants them, they are:

Taos: 575-776-2291 ext. 2211

Jackson Hole: 307-739-2650​

I took the numbers from the previous-season trail maps (2018-19 for Taos; 2016-17 for JH). Just in case either resort's ski patrol numbers have recently changed, it might be good to double-check before skiing at either place.
My wife thought it was weird that I have the # for Ski Patrol pre-programmed in my phone. But I've used it twice over the years. Neither time for myself or anybody in my group.

Last time was a snowboarder with broken ribs and possible internal bleeding (I caught up w/ of of the patrollers later). All of his buddies were standing around debating what to do when I skidded up. I observed for about ten seconds and whipped out my phone. After that, i convinced my wife and daughter to program it into their phones.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I always have that number in my phone. Unfortunately, cell service is iffy here and in the back you can get repeatedly disconnected. So, patrol is asking questions, the party you are trying to assist is talking at the same time and you can't hear patrol questions and you're getting disconnected repeatedly. You're telling the party to shut up and you're redialing for the fourth time and you finally say to the friends, "You climb up here (where there's service) and you call it in." And you leave and hope they've dispatched someone.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
Some of you might know that I'm a Supervisor for Clear Creek 9-1-1 in Georgetown. This is stuff I think about A LOT.

A few tips for people trying to reach emergency services:

As mentioned, cell service is spotty at many resorts, Loveland is actually one of the best in the front range, but there are still dead spots. If you're unable to place a call to 9-1-1, try texting. Text doesn't require as strong a signal as a call, so may go through in low signal areas.

Be prepared to provide:
  • Age, sex, conscious/breathing status, chief complaint/injury.
  • What trail are they on (if unknown, what lift did they take, then what?)
  • How many in group? (if multiples, send someone to contact patrol or liftie)
  • Do you know CPR?
  • GPS coordinates (do you know how to quickly obtain these from a smartphone?)
  • Clothing description
  • Anything else you think will help patrol/responders find you
We can use technology to obtain location information, but it's far from foolproof, and whenever possible we will verify what we're seeing with what someone on scene shows on a smart phone. One program derives location information from triangulation between two cell towers and your device based on signal strength, which is probably the least accurate. This same system may be able to derive location from the chipset in the handset, but this varies widely depending on carrier and other factors. We've recently started using another program which is based on the same technology Uber uses. This is probably the most accurate when it works (the caveat with all this technology), and gives realtime updates with a breadcrumb trail. A lot of times we have to go back to basics, what do you drive? Where did you park? What trail/direction did you take? How long/far did you walk/skin? (more of a BC question)

The whole nation is currently undergoing a major transformation in the way 9-1-1 calls are delivered to PSAP's (Public Service Answering Points). Twisted pair and selective routers are being replace with network based IP. The promise is greater caller location accuracy, and a more robust delivery system, capable of handling not only voice, but subscriber information, vehicle descriptions, and real-time crash data, including location, number of occupants in vehicle, airbag deployment, speed at time of crash, etc. Smartwatches are already delivering some of this data (often while the owner is oblivious) to providers who then contact the local PSAP. With next-gen, all of this data will be available directly to the closest PSAP for appropriate dispatch.

I've done some modest BC touring around the county and have pretty much come to the conclusion that people need to go in with the mindset that they're traveling off grid. You might be able to get a call out, and we might be able to pinpoint your exact location immediately, and it could still be 2+ hours before the first responder arrives on scene with the victim. However long it took the victim to get from their vehicle to where they were injured, is approximately how long it will take to get a responder to you, plus the travel time just for the responder to reach your starting point. Air rescue is sometimes an option, but choppers don't fly in bad weather, and there are other variable including temperature, patient weight, elevation, terrain, etc. that may make chopper rescue impossible. I feel like in most BC accident scenarios, your best chance for survival is the other individuals in your party, especially in avalanche burials. Powder Addiction had their photog extricated in minutes, and provided him the best chance of survival. The first avy response I dispatched was in Dead Dog Coulior on Torrey's Peak. I think it took the reporting party an hour just to get into cell service, then probably another 2-3 hours before responders made contact. The patient was still alive when they got there, but passed shortly after they got him packaged. Speaking with the Coroner a few days later, seems the party has extensive internal injuries which were likely not survivable, even if the accident occurred right outside an ER. Somehow that didn't make it any better.

On a personal note, in 12 years in this field I've absorbed my share of vicarious trauma. We hope and pray for positive outcomes, and feel time move in slow-motion as we're trying to reach injured parties before it's too late. We're able to help far more folks than we're not, but seems like it's always the shitty calls that make the deepest impression/we carry around the longest. Thank God for the buffer of phones and radios, and hats off to the professionals carrying out these rescue missions. I've rendered CPR once on a friend because I knew I/we were his best chance of survival. Probably 20 close friends on a mountain bike ride, one who never finished. I remember the bunch of us walking around numb afterwards, reeling from the experience, riddled with shock and disbelief. I think it's experiences like that which keep me focused on the task at hand while dealing with hysterical callers and attempting to sound confident and optimistic when I probably know better. It's what I would want for myself/family member/loved one/friend in their time of need.

/blog

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot of important advice here. I hope no one is intimidated in how much information is expected. Mainly, get help. Phone if you have the number, or one person stay with the injured person and another ski for help. You really need a very good idea of the location. Every lift tower has a number--if you know the name or number of the lift and the number of the nearest tower, that's a huge help. "The cliffs under Fuzzy Bunny lift tower #13," or, "About halfway down Yellow Duckling moguls," whatever is a help. If you can give a description of the injury and person, so much the better, but getting help is always #1. The place I usually ski often sends a patroller with a first aid kit out to find the wreck then to request the equipment they need (this place has been known to run out of sleds on a busy day). A sled on the wrong run or way downhill from the person is no help. Try to keep everyone safe by directing other skiers away...the usual crossed skis in the snow is great if possible; if not possible try to position someone uphill from the wreck to direct traffic. The last time I took a Red Cross first aid class they had really simplified it, maybe too simple, it was mainly to keep them breathing and not bled out until the ambulance came. Look for an outdoor sports first aid class if possible.

stan51

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you can tell us: Skier/Boarder down (one victim or multiple victims), general status (conscious/moving, unconscious/not moving) and most importantly, LOCATION!, as noted above, we can take it from there. Anything other information is gravy... useful but not usually essential. That said, if there is someone to safeguard the scene by warning away other skiers (especially if the injury is on the blind side of a roll-over or jump) and to guide us to the injured party, or to provide basic first aid (CPR, bleed control), that can be very helpful. If there was a collision between skiers or with resort infrastructure, or equipment and you are a witness, we really need to find out what you saw, so please don't just disappear.

Our patrol will usually send a single patroller with their on-person first aid kit to investigate and provide intial assessment and treatment. The first patroller will then request additional resources as needed... toboggan(s) (with backboard, basic splinting supplies, blankets and bandages), trauma pack(s) (O2, airways, traction splint, backboard straps), vacuum splint and additional patrollers, and determine whether EMS (ground ambulance) should be called or a helicopter evacuation should be requested.

As Henry noted, however, none of this can happen if we don't know where the possible victim is located.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
From an ER nurse perspective: Please until an injured person is medically cleared, DO NOT FEED THE PATIENT OR OFFER THEM WATER!!!!! I know from a comfort standpoint good samaritans do this often, but it can greatly delay medical care if the person is transported and will require anesthesia for internal injury/bleeding, setting of a fracture, laceration repair, or reduction of a dislocation.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You ski to have fun, so you don't often think about when things go wrong for someone and they need help. Whether someone has an injury, illness, is over-terrained, or just tired and needs help from the patrol consider these points.

When you see someone that requires patrol’s help, it is crucially important to gather and report the following information, which will probably require that you stop for a minute:
- nature of the injury/incident. Patrol has equipment for trauma, airway, cardiac (probably), and meds (depending on the local qualifications). If they have an idea of what the problem is they can respond with the proper stuff, saving tons of time.
- person's condition. Walking, standing, sitting, lying down. Talking, screaming, moaning, silent.
- where exactly the problem is. “Hey, there’s someone hurt on Molly Hogan” isn’t near enough info. Where: run’s name, top, middle, bottom, skier’s left or skier’s right, in the trees, nearby features, lift tower number, etc.
- male/female, approximate age, skier or snowboarder, clothing/helmet description, whether someone is with them.

Make sure that the person you report it to gets all that info, and if it’s a busy lifty you may be asked to wait until all the info can be passed. If you witnessed the accident, wait for a patroller.

Too many people reporting accidents blow by without knowing what the problem is, or exactly where it is, or how to identify the person needing help. “I was in the trees, I don’t know the name of the run, but I saw someone hurt,” and then they split. Which sucks for patrol deciding what to bring, where to bring it, and who to bring it to.

It takes a little time (and fun) out of the ski day, but it will be a huge help to the person that needs help, and someday it might be you.
Since this thread was started I’ve now placed 5 calls to Alta Ski Patrol with the latest being on Tuesday when someone went down and slid into a padded sign post. I must have been the 4th person that stopped with 2 others starting to ski away for help and one staying behind.
To all that have posted helpful info and to @pais alto , thank you.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the additional information added to this thread, I feel as though we need to make it an article and have it featured on the home page as a reference.

Thrilled to know that its making a difference.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I would like to recommend that everyone put the ski patrol dispatch phone number where you are skiing in your contact list on your phone. This saves time if you need to call for help. 911 works but usually takes more time to get the info to patrol. Thank you for helping!
This.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
THIS! for some reason I see this here too. I think part of it is kids skiing off from their parents rather than the other way around but yeah, I have come across little ones down and crying with no adults nearby. Parents, make sure your kids have your cell # in their phones and maybe even go old school and have it written down so they can give it to someone who is trying to help. I have experienced little ones who are so rattled, they cant really communicate their own names let alone, their parents name (beyond Mommy and daddy). And lastly, everyone, Please be careful watchful and considerate when on major cat track traverses. They are no place for tricks or skiing erratically
Last year someone on a snowboard ran over my wife from behind at a major trail crossing. The boarder didn’t even stop to see if she was ok. I was livid.

10 years ago my wife would have needed to pick me up from Clear Creek County SO after an incident like that. Guy was lucky I was more concerned with checking on her than following him down.

Please be careful, and if you mess up, stick around and try to help. Don’t be a discourteous jag.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some of you might know that I'm a Supervisor for Clear Creek 9-1-1 in Georgetown. This is stuff I think about A LOT.

A few tips for people trying to reach emergency services:

As mentioned, cell service is spotty at many resorts, Loveland is actually one of the best in the front range, but there are still dead spots. If you're unable to place a call to 9-1-1, try texting. Text doesn't require as strong a signal as a call, so may go through in low signal areas.

Be prepared to provide:
  • Age, sex, conscious/breathing status, chief complaint/injury.
  • What trail are they on (if unknown, what lift did they take, then what?)
  • How many in group? (if multiples, send someone to contact patrol or liftie)
  • Do you know CPR?
  • GPS coordinates (do you know how to quickly obtain these from a smartphone?)
  • Clothing description
  • Anything else you think will help patrol/responders find you
We can use technology to obtain location information, but it's far from foolproof, and whenever possible we will verify what we're seeing with what someone on scene shows on a smart phone. One program derives location information from triangulation between two cell towers and your device based on signal strength, which is probably the least accurate. This same system may be able to derive location from the chipset in the handset, but this varies widely depending on carrier and other factors. We've recently started using another program which is based on the same technology Uber uses. This is probably the most accurate when it works (the caveat with all this technology), and gives realtime updates with a breadcrumb trail. A lot of times we have to go back to basics, what do you drive? Where did you park? What trail/direction did you take? How long/far did you walk/skin? (more of a BC question)

The whole nation is currently undergoing a major transformation in the way 9-1-1 calls are delivered to PSAP's (Public Service Answering Points). Twisted pair and selective routers are being replace with network based IP. The promise is greater caller location accuracy, and a more robust delivery system, capable of handling not only voice, but subscriber information, vehicle descriptions, and real-time crash data, including location, number of occupants in vehicle, airbag deployment, speed at time of crash, etc. Smartwatches are already delivering some of this data (often while the owner is oblivious) to providers who then contact the local PSAP. With next-gen, all of this data will be available directly to the closest PSAP for appropriate dispatch.

I've done some modest BC touring around the county and have pretty much come to the conclusion that people need to go in with the mindset that they're traveling off grid. You might be able to get a call out, and we might be able to pinpoint your exact location immediately, and it could still be 2+ hours before the first responder arrives on scene with the victim. However long it took the victim to get from their vehicle to where they were injured, is approximately how long it will take to get a responder to you, plus the travel time just for the responder to reach your starting point. Air rescue is sometimes an option, but choppers don't fly in bad weather, and there are other variable including temperature, patient weight, elevation, terrain, etc. that may make chopper rescue impossible. I feel like in most BC accident scenarios, your best chance for survival is the other individuals in your party, especially in avalanche burials. Powder Addiction had their photog extricated in minutes, and provided him the best chance of survival. The first avy response I dispatched was in Dead Dog Coulior on Torrey's Peak. I think it took the reporting party an hour just to get into cell service, then probably another 2-3 hours before responders made contact. The patient was still alive when they got there, but passed shortly after they got him packaged. Speaking with the Coroner a few days later, seems the party has extensive internal injuries which were likely not survivable, even if the accident occurred right outside an ER. Somehow that didn't make it any better.

On a personal note, in 12 years in this field I've absorbed my share of vicarious trauma. We hope and pray for positive outcomes, and feel time move in slow-motion as we're trying to reach injured parties before it's too late. We're able to help far more folks than we're not, but seems like it's always the shitty calls that make the deepest impression/we carry around the longest. Thank God for the buffer of phones and radios, and hats off to the professionals carrying out these rescue missions. I've rendered CPR once on a friend because I knew I/we were his best chance of survival. Probably 20 close friends on a mountain bike ride, one who never finished. I remember the bunch of us walking around numb afterwards, reeling from the experience, riddled with shock and disbelief. I think it's experiences like that which keep me focused on the task at hand while dealing with hysterical callers and attempting to sound confident and optimistic when I probably know better. It's what I would want for myself/family member/loved one/friend in their time of need.

/blog
Maybe we will see you at LL this year, this will be our 2nd year up there. Once the kids are all gone to college (only 2 left at home) my wife and I will probably put in for the patrol at LL. Would be nice to volunteer and give back a bit.

Chipped K2

Booting up
Skier
As a rule I stop and check on nearly every crashed skier. I did that my entire time as an instructor even when I was not in a lesson. I don't see that changing.

Once I saw a crash from a stopped chair lift. It was such an insane, over-the-top "explosion" of ski gear in every direction, I was convinced the guy was toast. I went through the resort's outside call line to get to ski patrol and right when they had the location info, the guy comes to, gets up, gets his gear back together, and skis off. I had to call them again to cancel.

Lift was stopped the whole time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a scary moment at Mammoth last week when this thread came to mind. #475
Someone we just met at Mammoth, friend of @Rainbow Jenny, and bootfitter from the LA area, caught an edge on early morning groomer ruts and fell hard, knocked unconscious and suffered 5 fractured ribs.
Thanks to @pais alto for starting this topic.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
One problem is we do not have cell coverage.
I've noticed at places with poor or non existent cell coverage that the patrol often monitors a particular personal radio channel. I've seen it posted, often near the ticket window and sometimes at the loading area for the lifts.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a scary moment at Mammoth last week when this thread came to mind. #475
Someone we just met at Mammoth, friend of @Rainbow Jenny, and bootfitter from the LA area, caught an edge on early morning groomer ruts and fell hard, knocked unconscious and suffered 5 fractured ribs.
Thanks to @pais alto for starting this topic.
Once again I’m reminded of the importance of thorough secondary physical assessment. The focus was solely on concussion until he complained of chest rib pain at the ED. So the rib fracture was a real surprise to me.

The day before we also came across someone who fell while trying to get in lift line and just couldn’t get back up from painful hip. That warranted an ambulance ride given his most complicated medical history.

I just added Mammoth dispatch/ski patrol number to my phone although I have Pali Alpine numbers already.

This week I also learned to never minimize a fall for anyone over a certain age. A friend mentioned an ankle sprain on Friday which turned out to be a tib/fib fracture when seen the next day.

Pequenita said she’s staying far away from me, I’m definitely feeling like a total black cloud.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This week I also learned to never minimize a fall for anyone over a certain age. A friend mentioned an ankle sprain on Friday which turned out to be a tib/fib fracture when seen the next day.
Oh no!