• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ptex Gun

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So I finally got tired of trying to use a candle to ptex my skis. I tend to get mixed to good results with ptex candles, but always use to much ptex and make a bit of a mess. So I finally caved and bought a Ski Mender RP105 Base Repair Pistol on sale along with a couple sticks of ptex. Curious if you can get actual base material inserts to use in one of these as opposed to ptex. Really looking at this for minor repairs in between proper tunes

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I think you use a different type of P-Tex stick with the gun vs P-Tex drip candle. These days shops will cut a piece of base material and glue it in place if the damage area is huge, Otherwise they use Metalgrip for normal sized core shots or to fill gouges near an edge.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I think you use a different type of P-Tex stick with the gun vs P-Tex drip candle. These days shops will cut a piece of base material and glue it in place if the damage area is huge, Otherwise they use Metalgrip for normal sized core shots or to fill gouges near an edge.
True but I was actually hoping to find sticks of actual base material. This gun has a heated tips that gets up to 200 C so it gets hot enough to do a proper base weld, thought it might be interesting to fill everything with a material that can actually absorb wax vs. P-Tex. And yes the P=Tex sticks for this gun are thicker and longer than the candles. Bottom line is that I like the idea of being able to do small repairs and fills on my own, but candles are a pain in the .... well you know what I mean :cool:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
True but I was actually hoping to find sticks of actual base material. This gun has a heated tips that gets up to 200 C so it gets hot enough to do a proper base weld, thought it might be interesting to fill everything with a material that can actually absorb wax vs. P-Tex. And yes the P=Tex sticks for this gun are thicker and longer than the candles. Bottom line is that I like the idea of being able to do small repairs and fills on my own, but candles are a pain in the .... well you know what I mean :cool:
Oh boy, can of worms time. This'll reopen the "pores in the base material" debate.

But to the best of my non-chemist understanding, the high end sintered bases absorb wax because they are made from granules of high-molecular weight plastic that only partially melt together. A lower-end extruded base is made from slightly-lower molecular weight plastic that gets melts to flowy enough consistency to extrude through a die. And since it completely melts there are no voids left to absorb wax.

A ptex gun is extruding plastic, so it has to have plastic that can be extruded.

It's possible, just possible, that you might be able to semi-melt sintered material using a welding iron. I am under no illusion that it is happening with the standard ribbon or thread of ptex used with irons, however.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
No matter what you use, a repaired area will never take wax again.
Only repair damage that NEEDS to be repaired.
Don't ever sweat small scratches etc. Even a good majority of larger, deeper scratches, gouges just don't need to be filled.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
As we say, "if it isn't a core shot, it's just structure."
Yes, as long as it goes the right direction, and does not interfere with the base-edge interface!
Sometimes a gouge can be deep, yet not a core shot. Sometimes repair is warranted.
Some folks sweat when there is no need to.
Here is one that need it. See here: SUPER LONG VIDEO

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No matter what you use, a repaired area will never take wax again.
Only repair damage that NEEDS to be repaired.
Don't ever sweat small scratches etc. Even a good majority of larger, deeper scratches, gouges just don't need to be filled.
^^^This..as usual ur advice is spot on....

I usually just drip some cold temp wax in the small stuff, just to make it feel like I’m “filling it in”....lol.

Sponsor