• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Pugs off to Alaska

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, what shoes are you wearing? How’s the foot feeling?
Hoka Toa and also the tour company provided micro spikes for walking on the glacier.
tempImageIsdQuZ.png

As far as the feet, they feel fine, no issues there. No issues to start with either.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tricia said:
This has been a very relaxing trip, which is something we didn't know we needed until we got here.
Ah, that’s the point , you don’t realize how much you need it until you reach that other ” state”...I think any view of Denali is a good one- hoping to lay my own eyes on it someday

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today we spent some time at the Iditarod Museum and with some of the dogs that actually have done the race.

tempImagehU6GZS.png tempImageCvELDR.png tempImageeEZ7FP.png tempImagea5P7C2.png tempImagedlRZmq.png tempImagewDQJxE.png tempImage1KZ14E.png tempImagenYcOHF.png 3D6E46A0-5DB3-4A5F-8832-1A47030061E8.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Guess it wasn’t a big thing!!
It was at the time. Seriously, I completely forgot about it.

Heading to Seward and Girwood today and tomorrow.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to Seward and Girwood today and tomorrow.

Fun facts as you watch the sea otters in the bay:
- Sea otters have the thickest fur of any mammal, approximately 1 million hairs per square inch. Their thick hairs trap air next to their body to keep them warm. Their skin never gets wet.
- They float on their back with their feet out of the water to keep them warm.
- Sea otters hold hands when they sleep so they don't float away from each other.
- They are known as the "dirty old men of the sea" to locals in Seward (not sure how far this term travels).

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s the color I wanted but they didn’t have if available for my enormous cranium. …although I think I could have gotten by with a size smaller since they seem to run a bit large.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s the color I wanted but they didn’t have if available for my enormous cranium. …although I think I could have gotten by with a size smaller since they seem to run a bit large.
They do tend to run a bit large at least in my limited experience. I tried on a large in the ski helmet I got and it was like a tent. For $99 you could try it and sell it if it doesn't work.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While you're in Seward look for my daughter Anne. Not sure how you'll recognize her, but pretty sure she's there.
Tell her to look for us. We are wearing our SkiTalk jackets .
And my hair is a mess ! :) B8FE4B1C-C494-42FF-BF40-21A6E199C5AD.JPG

BBACE95A-3BDB-4953-88C4-9580EB87C199.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Checking in:
We were awoken by a phone alert that we were in an area that was at risk for a tsunami.
With in a few minutes we were alerted by local alarms that said a major earthquake was detected off the coast and that we needed to move to higher ground immediately.
We quickly packed our stuff and loaded it in the car. We are headed back to our family's house and are bailing on all of the activities we planned on for Thursday before our flight.

I guess this is a "I'm safe" check in.

Details will follow.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

United States

Huge quake of magnitude 8.2 on Alaska Peninsula triggers tsunami alert
Reuters

July 29 (Reuters) - A shallow earthquake of magnitude 8.2 struck the Alaska Peninsula late on Wednesday, prompting tsunami warnings in the region, authorities said.
There were no immediate reports on loss of property or life.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake, which struck at 10:15 p.m. local time (0615 GMT Thursday), was at a depth of 35 km.
In Alaska, the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC) issued warnings for southern parts, the Peninsula, and Pacific coastal areas from Hinchinbrook Entrance to Unimak Pass. It also issued a "tsunami watch" for the U.S. state of Hawaii.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) said the possibility of a tsunami threat to the U.S. state of Hawaii and the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam was being investigated.
Japan's Meteorological Agency was investigating whether there was a possibility of a tsunami hitting Japan, the public broadcaster NHK said.
Authorities in New Zealand also said they were assessing if there was any danger to coastal regions.
The U.S. NTWC said it was evaluating the level of tsunami danger for other U.S. and Canadian Pacific coastal areas.

The tremor struck about 91 km east-southeast of Perryville in Alaska. It was about 800 km (500 miles) from Anchorage, Alaska's biggest city. It was followed by seven aftershocks, two of them above magnitude 6.0, according to USGS.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Checking in:
We were awoken by a phone alert that we were in an area that was at risk for a tsunami.
With in a few minutes we were alerted by local alarms that said a major earthquake was detected off the coast and that we needed to move to higher ground immediately.
We quickly packed our stuff and loaded it in the car. We are headed back to our family's house and are bailing on all of the activities we planned on for Thursday before our flight.

Details will follow.
2:00 AM we are safe back in Wasilla.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Instead of heading to the safe zones where the masses were parked waiting for news to return, we headed back to the family's home in Wasilla and are going to try to get some sleep before our flight tomorrow.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Checking in:
Withing a few minutes we were alerted by local alarms that said a major earthquake was detected off the coast and that we needed to move to higher ground immediately.
We quickly paxked our stuff and loaded it in the car. We are headed back to our family's house and are bailing on all of the activities we planned on for Thursday before our flight.

Details will follow.
Thanks for checking in. I woke to read news of a tsunami warning being called off for an 8.2 and came here to check. Glad to hear everyone's safe.

Sponsor