• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Pugs off to Alaska

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Next trip: The Pugs go to Nebraska and have to evacuate due to a tornado warning!
Do the Pugs have family in NB? The magnitude seems to be more severe when extended family is around.
You joke, but that almost happened on a trip back home after visiting family in Michigan.
We arrived at our hotel in Nebraska we were given instructions on how to find the tornado shelter at the facility because the area was under tornado warnings and it was pretty stormy.
That trip there was a tornado touch down about 20 miles away.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
United States
Huge quake of magnitude 8.2 on Alaska Peninsula triggers tsunami alert
Reuters

July 29 (Reuters) - A shallow earthquake of magnitude 8.2 struck the Alaska Peninsula late on Wednesday, prompting tsunami warnings in the region, authorities said.
There were no immediate reports on loss of property or life.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake, which struck at 10:15 p.m. local time (0615 GMT Thursday), was at a depth of 35 km.
In Alaska, the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC) issued warnings for southern parts, the Peninsula, and Pacific coastal areas from Hinchinbrook Entrance to Unimak Pass. It also issued a "tsunami watch" for the U.S. state of Hawaii.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) said the possibility of a tsunami threat to the U.S. state of Hawaii and the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam was being investigated.
Japan's Meteorological Agency was investigating whether there was a possibility of a tsunami hitting Japan, the public broadcaster NHK said.
Authorities in New Zealand also said they were assessing if there was any danger to coastal regions.
The U.S. NTWC said it was evaluating the level of tsunami danger for other U.S. and Canadian Pacific coastal areas.

The tremor struck about 91 km east-southeast of Perryville in Alaska. It was about 800 km (500 miles) from Anchorage, Alaska's biggest city. It was followed by seven aftershocks, two of them above magnitude 6.0, according to USGS.
Now that I'm awake and had some coffee, some images from last night. Notice the time on the two screen shots from my phone.

The first one is from my phone when we got the emergency alert via the cell phone towers.

Phil was fast asleep and I took a screen shot in disbelief.
I thought..."Is this really happening?"
"Should I wake him up or is this just something that happens in places like this?"
"Wait, did I read that right?"

But I wanted a screen shot of it, just in case it disappeared and I needed to read it thoroughly.
Within a few minutes there was an actual alarm sound outside with a booming voice saying that we needed to get to higher ground.
I woke @Philpug up and I'm not quite sure if he believed me at first.
E041857D-A9F4-43AE-BA32-156B44B1F78B.JPG

Then we were in a conga line leaving Seward. The only cars coming toward us were emergency service vehicles.

E6845DBC-774E-48DB-9CF0-4C2F7E5B685F.JPG

Then I started getting updates via my NOAA app. By this time we were packed up and headed to @Lil Georg 's house and just kept going.
Some of the things we wanted to do in Seward were not going to happen anyway because it conflicted with us getting to the airport in a timely manner, so we're just chilling and making our way to Anchorage later today to get ready to go home.
159E0961-5884-48C6-86EA-6A63806912A9.JPG

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, and I still haven't seen Denali!
This is the view of the Chugach this morning from Lil's deck. :(
A05C9486-98F5-4DEB-A3D8-D464B3E84060.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was hopeful for both when I was in Alaska and also saw neither. I had to go to Steamboat to see a moose!

Did you see any whales?
We were looking into a day cruise to see sealife today but with our flight schedule we didn't feel we could do it with any comfortable time to get to the airport. Most day cruises were 6 or 8 hrs.
Next time!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, here’s how you compare to the other half-
Seward- 60.1 North latitude
Wasilla- 61.6

Helsinki- 60.2
Levi- 67.8
Stockholm - 59.3
Are - 60.1
Oslo - 59.9
Bergen - 60.4
Edinburgh - 56.0
Reykjavík - 64.1
Nanortalik- 60.1 southern tip of Greenland
Cape Chidley- 60.4 northern tip of Labrador

Interesting U-Boat story near Cape Chidley

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Before going to the airport, we visited SkiAK ski shop.
Pretty cool shop with some great history.

222873390_10159272347951138_252714811245008358_n.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online