• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Pugski.com's 2017 Steals & Deals

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.10.44 AM.png
Welcome to Steals & Deals for 2017! We put this list together for the monetarily deprived and the frugally committed. It has been compiled, constructed, deconstructed, and tweaked for months. A few of these skis might be tough to find, for reasons I will describe, but they are like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Some models are all new, and others are carryovers, updated with a dose of NGT (New Graphic Technology). Did we miss anything? Probably, but our testers all agree that this list is filled with great skis at value pricing.

Yes, reviewing gear is tough, with so many skis to test and such little time to do it. Traditional review platforms like magazines and even some online sites set up stringent categories for submitting skis, so not everything gets its time in the sun. Combined with the fact that manufacturers want to promote certain models, sometimes great skis just fall through the cracks. Some brands even state in their dealer catalogs which models are to be featured, which means 90% of stores will have the same skis on the wall. I have seen shop buyers sit down at shows and ask reps which skis they are sending the magazines because they think those are the only ones people will ask for. To me, that's shortchanging your customer. During some last-minute research for this list, I contacted a rep to clarify some dimensions, and he asked, “Why are you doing that ski? None of my shops even ordered it.” What a shame -- they are missing out on a great ski at a steal of a price.

Hard-Snow Frontside

K2 Charger
$749

Dimensions: 127-76-107
Radius: 17m@175cm
"The Charger goes back to K2’s heritage of making great frontside skis -- think of them as the modern-day 610 COMP." --Philpug
2017 K2 Charger.png
All new, and all good. K2 put on its big-boy pants and shimmied up to the grown-up table with this new Charger collection. The entry-level Charger comes out of the same 76mm mold as the Super Charger, the sleeper of its segment, but with a metal-less fir/aspen core and an M11 TC binding. It is that 8/10th of a hard-snow ski that will be a winner for all but the biggest and strongest skiers.

Head Super Joy
$699
Dimensions*: 128-75-108
Radius: 12.5m@163cm

"The Super Joy is a really amazing frontside ski that will definitely make her -- dare I say it? -- joyful when she's carving it up." --Tricia
2017 Head SuperJoy.png
The first return winner for us. Head has done the unheard-of with this segment: designed a ski collection for women completely from the ground up. The Super Joy is the flagship model; its lightness makes it hyper-quick from edge to edge, and the Graphene-infused construction makes it one of the best hard-snow skis at any price. *scaled sizing

All-Mountain Frontside
Atomic Vantage X W80 CTi
$799
(includes binding)
Dimensions*: 125-80-110
Radius: 15.2m@173cm

"Easy turn initiation and smooth transitions make this a great choice for women searching for some of the same fun they’ve had on the wider Vantage skis." --Tricia
2017 Atomic Vantage 80CTi W.png

Atomic Vantage X 80 CTi
$799
(includes binding)
Dimensions*: 122-80-102
Radius: 15.5m@159cm

"When demoing, try two sizes based on the turn shape desired." --Philpug
2017 Atomic Vantage X80CTi.png

The narrow half of a two-ski quiver is the segment that almost every manufacturer is going after; they are realizing that hard-snow performance needs a fine balance of ease and versatility. What separates the Vantage X 80 CTi from the rest of this highly contested class are two things: price and binding. A street price of $799 as a system makes the 80 CTi a stellar deal, and it's only another $50 to upgrade to the 83mm version. Second, many brands compromise on the binding, but Atomic ups the ante by integrating the very good Warden 13, the only binding in this range of a ski and price point that is 13 DIN and MNC (multi-norm certified, i.e., it will accommodate DIN, WTR, and AT soles. Doing some quick math, usually the Warden is a $279 binding; taking that from the $799 package price leaves $520. The Vantage 80 CTi is in no way a $520 ski; it is easily a $599 to $649 ski. Did Atomic mess up in pricing? Not sure, but if so, their mistake is your gain. The Vantage X 80 CTi is the steal of the 2017 Steals & Deals. *
scaled sizing

Volkl Yumi
$549

Dimensions: 125-83-103
Radius: 17.1m@161cm
"Watch out Aura and Kenja, your little sister has been stealing that attention that you've been accustomed to." --Tricia
2017 Volkl Yumi.png
Another return winner. Not much more can be said about a ski that a beginner, novice, intermediate, and even light expert can ski -- and enjoy. And, a Völkl for a bargain-basement price? No way ... yes way. Usually a ski like that comes at a cost; in this case, it's a low cost: $549. Völkl, would making a men’s version kill you?

All-Mountain Backside
Armada Victa 87Ti
$599
Dimensions*: 126-86-118
Radius: 16.5m@163cm

"I was blown away by this ski. It turns quickly, holds an edge on hardpack, and rips through the moguls without a second thought. This Armada for grown-ups made me feel like a kid again." --Tricia
2017 Armada Victa.png

Armada Invicta 89Ti
$599
Dimensions*: 130-88-120
Radius: 17.5m@179cm

"If you want a Kästle FX85 HP but balk at the price, buy this instead." --SBrown
2017 Armada Invictus.png
The Invicta 89Ti is a return winner for men; this year, it is accompanied by the Victa 87, one of the favorites of our women testers -- particularly @Tricia and @SkiNurse, who is ready to buy her own pair. Armada is no longer a kids' brand; it is going mainstream and doing it with not only competitive pricing but also a fantastically finished product. Armada does not have its own facilities to build skis, instead using a couple of well-established European operations that build to its specifications -- but these are not “badge engineered” skis; they are Armadas through and through. *scaled sizing

Blizzard Black Pearl
$599

Dimensions: 123-88-108
Radius: 17m@166cm

"The overwhelming consensus is that they're lighter, a bit quicker, and more responsive than the previous versions without sacrificing what's made them such popular skis" --SkiEssentials
2017 Blizzard Black Pearl.png
This perennial winner returns for 2017. The Black Pearl has become the ski that all other women’s skis are compared to, not just skis in its own category. The 2017 is lighter with a bit more snap due to a carbon infusion, but it did not lose its much-loved playful demeanor. The Black Pearl might not satisfy everyone, but very, very few leave unhappy.

Soul Rider 87
$499
Dimensions: 124-87-114
Radius: 16.7m@177cm

"Our employees who like to split their time between park skiing and all-mountain shredding are psyched about the new Soul Rider 87." --SkiEssentials

2017 Nordica SR87.png
The Soul Rider 87 is the younger, upstart version of the Soul Rider ... if there could be one. This is the ski for the cool kid that doesn’t know he is cool yet.

The 98th Percentile

Blizzard Samba
$649

Dimensions: 131-98-116
Radius: 19m@166cm

"The 2017 Samba comes with a fresh new look and updated construction, and now a ski I’ve loved for 4 years is even better. This new build makes the Samba perfect for women who want a nimble ski that can still charge the mountain." --Tricia
2017 Blizzard Samba.png
Blizzard lightened up the Samba for 2017, and now this repeat winner is even better. Carbon makes the Samba even more nimble, and for those who say looks don’t matter, you're wrong: the new matte finish that Blizzard brought last year is also quieter on the snow. All these things add up to the reason we brought the Samba back to the winner's circle.

Nordica Soul Rider
$599

Dimensions: 134-97-124
Radius: 16.5m@177cm

"The Soul Rider returns for 2017 with a new look but the same playfulness that has created a loyal following." --Philpug
2017 Nordica SR.png
OK, I give up, I have ignored the Soul Rider long enough. The Soul Rider should be on the periodic table, the damn thing has a half life. It just returns every year with a loyal and well-deserved following. I really thought the ski would die without people noticing that we had snubbed it. But I am admitting that I MISSED THIS SKI AND WAS WRONG AND FOR THAT, I AM SORRY. How good is the design? So good, it has spawned an 87mm variant -- why not, it is old enough to legally reproduce.

Salomon QST 99
$599
Dimensions*: 138-99-120
Radius: 19.4m@181cm

"I found myself hucking off small jumps in places I would normally hesitate due to the tracked-out crud below." --UGASkiDawg
2017 Salomon QST99.png
The QST’s predecessor, the Quest 98, was a winner in years past, but this new QST collection shows that Salomon is back to making skis for skiers, not just for people who ski. The QST keeps the playfulness of the Quests, but when pushed, exhibits some of the design philosophy of the Q-Lab. How Salomon is selling the QST 99 for $599 is beyond me when almost every other ski in the class is $50 to $100 more. Whatever they lose on each ski in profit, I am sure they are hoping to make up in volume. *scaled sizing

Völkl 90Eight W
$649

Dimensions: 133-98-116
Radius: 15.9m@163cm

"What a surprise! This ski lives for the manky, chopped-up snow but then is able to hit the groomers with finesse." --SkiNurse
2017 Volkl 90Eight W.png

Völkl 90Eight
$649
Dimensions: 133-98-116
Radius: 20.1m@177cm

"WOW! Völkl is not the first ski I think of for my skiing, but maybe it should be." --Ron
2017 Volkl 90Eight.png
A big "thank you" goes to the designers at Völkl for returning camber to all of the adult skis under 100 mm wide; it is nice to know they have been listening. The men's and women’s 90Eights are worthy as the spiritual successors to the first-generation Aura and Mantra, skis ballads were written about. Both the men's and women's versions are light and playful and do whatever you ask them to. If want the smoothness of a Völkl but not the weight, these are the skis you have been looking for.

One Oh Somethings

Völkl 100Eight W
$699

Dimensions: 141-108-124
Radius: 16.7m@165cm

"Who is this ski for? Me! Me-me-me-me-me …. (Yeah, there is already a pair sitting in my ski room.)" --SBrown
2017 Volkl 100Eight W.png

Völkl 100Eight
$699

Dimensions: 141-108-124
Radius: 22m@181cm

"Skis narrower on the groomed and wider in powder. How'd they do that?" --Drahtguy Kevin
2017 Volkl 100Eight.png

The 100Eights are the new reference ski in the One Oh Something category, the skis all others are measured against, and on both the power and finesse sides. This is quite an accomplishment in any segment, particularly this one. The 100Eights have zero camber, but you'd never know it on firm snow; they really pop. Even with very little sidecut, they are still quick. They are skis that bely everything -- including a high price tag. We call that a winner.

Powder

DPS Yvette 112RP2 Foundation
$799

Dimensions: 142-112-128
Radius: 15m@178cm

"Yvette gets me ... well, let's just say, Yvette and I get along real well." --Tricia

Yvette 112.png

DPS Wailer 112RP2 Foundation

$799
Dimensions: 142-112-128
Radius: 15m@178cm

"Wailer 112s are still the reference to what all other powder skis are compared against." --Philpug

Wailer 112.png

DPS is not a company that rests on its laurels, and the new Wailer/Yvette design is the proof. The original Wailer redefined the "all-mountain powder ski," and now the RP2 has moved it ahead of the curve. The combination of the RP2 and the Foundation construction brings DPS's innovative powder ski to a price point even the average consumer can afford -- which is what "Steals & Deals" is all about.

Premium

Kästle FX85
$849

Dimensions: 119-85-108
Radius: 17m@173cm

"After testing the new Kästle FX85 last SIA, I told Mr. Davenport, 'It’s like cheating!' — so quick and easy to ski, super fun in bumps yet handled both groomed and light crud with ease." --SBrown
kastlefx85 (1).jpg

At $849, this Kästle may not sound like a steal, but it's a hell of a deal! The non-metal FX85 for some reason isn't as prevalent as the FX85 HP (the same can be said for the FX95), but it is an all-mountain weapon that is plenty of ski for the vast majority of skiers. Where it gives up some cruise-missile stability at high speed, it gains maneuverability, nimbleness, and ease in the bumps.

DPS Foundation Collection
$799

Foundation_Lineup.png

It is easier for a manufacturer to come down market than it is to move up. DPS succeeded in this transition by bringing its proven and successful collection of shapes to an obtainable price point. The Foundation collection ranges from the hard-snow-specific Cassiar 82 and Uschi 82 to the surfboard-sized Lotus 124, with the Wailers and sisters Nina, Zelda, and Yvette falling in between. In addition to being beautifully crafted skis, the Foundation series has arguably the best graphics theme throughout a collection.

*Scaled sizing: Some manufacturers go the extra distance in their designs by “scaling” their sizing, which makes the different sizes of skis proportionate. We will discuss this more on a future talk show.

Example:

scaled.png

Boots

Lange RX/RS/XT/SX/XT Freetour
$399 and up

Disclaimer: Yes, we know, boots should NOT be bought on the basis of price.

"On-snow feel is very natural. Lange’s modern upright stance is perfect, and not a bit of the energy that you bring to the ski is lost." --Philpug

langelogo.jpg

Lange has a collection that, up to this year, covered (almost) every alpine need, from soft entry-level boots for narrow feet to 130-flex boots for cinder blocks, from junior models to World Cup plug molds with lace-up liners. Truly, Lange offers everything in this proven shell design. For 2017, Lange completes its boot model domination by adding a serious contender to the AT world with the XT Freetour. In true Lange fashion, the Freetour is available in a multitude of flexes and widths. And there is more: Lange will offer WTR as an option on most of its boots, backwards compatible to many of its previous boots as well. The true measure of a boot deal is not price but fit, and there is a very good chance that Lange has a boot that fits you.

Bindings

Atomic/Salomon Warden 11
$179
Salomon/Atomic is going for the jugular of the top-selling binding in the segment with the new transverse-spring Warden 11. What separates the Warden from the class is the beefy toe shared with its big brother, the Warden 13 (less the multi-norm compatibility) combined with a heel with a huge adjustment range that is very easy to click into.

Marker M11.0 TC EPS
$149

Marker returns with the M11.0 at the very competitive $149 price point. This over-engineered TC heel is basically the same one Marker has used on its race bindings for years; it was used on heels up to 14 DIN, so you know it is substantially built. If you need a very good binding for a 90mm ski or less, this is a great way to save some money.

Tyrolia Attack 12
$179

For the ladies. This is basically the same as the 13DIN Attack 13, but in a white/mint color motif. Not that bindings can tell if there is a guy or girl clicked in, but this is a killer deal for the ladies.

Pricing disclaimer: Please note, prices shown are MAP (minimum advertised price); some shops might offer these products at MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). Brands vary as to how they advertise these prices, so we have not included the specific .00, .95, .99 endings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What everyone has been waiting for...Our 2017 Steals & Deals!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
You have finally seen the light on the SoulRider.... :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Its a great article. Others missing? The K2 Pinnacle 88 at $599.00 what a great ski. Thanks for including the FX85. Its really a remarkable ski that warrants this award.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You have finally seen the light on the SoulRider.... :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Its a great article. Others missing? not sure of the MSRP on the K2 Pinnacle 88 but what a great ski. Thanks for including the FX85. Its really a remarkable ski that warrants this award.
Pinnacle 88 is $599 MAP IIRC. Great ski for sure.

michael

Skier
/slobber

Glad to see the QST 99s on the list! (I am leaning towards the 92s, though, for where I'm at on the learning curve.)

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Victa 87 or BP for my wife. Which one is better in crud and chop. Looking for better stability and a bit mor dampness than what she has in the Wild Belle today.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Victa 87 or BP for my wife. Which one is better in crud and chop. Looking for better stability and a bit mor dampness than what she has in the Wild Belle today.
The Black Pearl is pretty amazing at doing it all pretty darn well, which is why you hear so much about it.

That being said, I felt that the Victa 87Ti was better in spring crud this past spring than nearly any other ski in its category. Perhaps its the Ti that gives it the extra crud busting power.
I'm betting @SkiNurse has something to say about this.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
/slobber

Glad to see the QST 99s on the list! (I am leaning towards the 92s, though, for where I'm at on the learning curve.)

its more of what do you want it for. The QST 99 would make a good moderate powder, leftover and soft bump ski. Its easy to ski but has broad appeal to a wide skill range.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
its more of what do you want it for. The QST 99 would make a good moderate powder, leftover and soft bump ski. Its easy to ski but has broad appeal to a wide skill range.

Agreed. Don't be scared of the QST 99. It's really easy to ski. @Ron's totally correct in saying it has broad appeal to a wide skill range.

@Philpug & @Tricia this is a great list!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Nordica Nrgy 80

Well done on the list! Glad you finally saw the light on the Soul Rider. :)

Last edited:

michael

Skier
Agreed. Don't be scared of the QST 99. It's really easy to ski. @Ron's totally correct in saying it has broad appeal to a wide skill range.

@Philpug & @Tricia this is a great list!

Solid advice. It's not a fear thing - well, mostly not. I'm still learning and stuff and feel the QST 92 will help me more for the amount of off-piste skiing I envision doing. Also, I have a pair of ON3P Kartel 98s for when I want to do the full crazy. :)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Solid advice. It's not a fear thing - well, mostly not. I'm still learning and stuff and feel the QST 92 will help me more for the amount of off-piste skiing I envision doing. Also, I have a pair of ON3P Kartel 98s for when I want to do the full crazy. :)

good decision then. I am on the FX85 as my dedicated off-piste ski. its a great width to work on. I went to even narrower for groomers to even some soft loose stuff with the Volkl Code Red . Which could be another steals and deals recipient. I saw that in the Volkl catalog, it appears to be available in the US this season. @SkiEssentials may have more info on this .

12snap

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can anybody compare and contrast the Soul Rider 87 with the Armada Invictus 89 Ti? How similar do they ski and is one better or worse than the other in certain conditions/situations? Thanks.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

Sounds like you're on the right track for sure! The 99 wouldn't make sense really when you already have your Kartel 98s.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Black Pearl is pretty amazing at doing it all pretty darn well, which is why you hear so much about it.

That being said, I felt that the Victa 87Ti was better in spring crud this past spring than nearly any other ski in its category. Perhaps its the Ti that gives it the extra crud busting power.
I'm betting @SkiNurse has something to say about this.
The Victa KILLED it in all sorts of Colorado spring conditions: groomers, hard pack, light powder/heavy powder (up to 7 inches), inch thick breakable crust and slush bumps. I am really looking forward to seeing what this can do in our winter conditions..especially the trees and *real* bumps.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid