• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski.com's shop is coming together for the 20/21 season, thanks to our partnership with Toko

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Oh, for shaping the bottoms of them. You gotta' be a fitter! Have fun with that.

On another note, I had my first time with a pair of Devation skis. Darn sidewalls are some kind of exotic wood. Almost impossible to plane with files.
Never again! Pretty sidewall, but harder than a whore's heart!
Any experience with those?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Deviation is the guys that do purple heart. Watch yourself filing or sanding that stuff -wear a mask- it is a strong allergen.
"Workability: Working with Purpleheart can present some unique challenges: if the wood is heated with dull tools, or if cutter speeds are too high, Purpleheart will exude a gummy resin that can clog tools and complicate the machining process. Depending on the grain orientation, can be difficult to plane without tearout. Purpleheart also has a moderate dulling effect on cutters. "

"Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Purpleheart has been reported as a sensitizer. Usually most common reactions simply include eye and skin irritation. Purpleheart has also been reported to cause nausea. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information. "

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Little side note since @Jacques brought it up. Clean resin from tools. The resin destroys the carbide and cutting edges. Use a specific cleaner for cleaning resin from tools at a big $ cost or be thrifty and use the yellow can of oven cleaner, workers better and faster. Just be sure to rinse blades well with water and dry properly to prevent rust. Pennies vs dollars per clean.

Wish my shop was as empty.....

Led

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Not 100%. Per Toko, you still want to do a regular hot was to get the wax into the base, but that is now only every 4-5 times, the rest of the time the Liquid Paraffin will do the job.
Phil... I just read up on Toko liquid wax... aerosol spray... UGH!!!... can you spell "climate change?" C'mon... set a good example for us all!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on the doggie door!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Phil... I just read up on Toko liquid wax... aerosol spray... UGH!!!... can you spell "climate change?" C'mon... set a good example for us all!
How you do know the propellent contains CFC's?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

tread drift but makers have moved from PFAS in their wax which is another item not desired due to environmental factors, sometime as byproducts from the manufacturing of wax. Often it's simply not knowing something is bad for the environment until after the fact, sometimes a bit of push or regulatory drivers involved.

Sponsor