• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pulling outside foot back

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi all,

I watched this video (someone posted it on a dorsiflexion thread). This idea of pulling the foot back makes sense to me mechanically. Especially because it emphasizes positive control and not passive control by tilting forward.

Is this just another way to get a person to think about getting positive control and weight on the outside ski for turn initiation or is there more (or less) to it?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d be careful taking advice from someone on BBRs :roflmao::roflmao:

Jus kiddin, check Deb Armstrong’s YT channel, in one of the vids she explains similar concept and does it much better.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love this concept and use it all the time. Helps to pull back that uphill tip lead, get the weight early onto the new downhill ski and get your upper body flowing downhill in-time with the skis and prevents you from falling back with your upper body.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi all,

I watched this video (someone posted it on a dorsiflexion thread). This idea of pulling the foot back makes sense to me mechanically. Especially because it emphasizes positive control and not passive control by tilting forward.

Is this just another way to get a person to think about getting positive control and weight on the outside ski for turn initiation or is there more (or less) to it?

None of these turns impress me much.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Rob Butler is an old L4 CSIA. That video is old for sure. He was sponsored by Salomon back then. I had this guy as my examiner on my L2. Taken many seminars with him. He has a classic smooth way of skiing and usually looks a lot better than this video. I can say I never liked those BBR's.

That said....interesting idea. Have to try it as I'm teaching a strong intermediate next weekend. But first I've got to get him edging.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Pulling the new outside foot back is just another type of extension initiation. It means there's no lessens the possibility of the torso and all its weight being aft at turn entry.

Rob Butler's 2 minute ski tips from way back then are fun to watch.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Notice how as he pulls the foot back, the hip goes up, while the other one doesn't. Long leg vs short leg? Inclining into the new turn. The narrative seems to be implying that putting that foot behind you makes you turn. The cause of the turn couldn't possibly have anything to do with tipping and weighting the outside ski, could it? I suppose it's one way to tip and weight the outside ski, but I don't like obfuscation, and half explanations.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Notice how as he pulls the foot back, the hip goes up, while the other one doesn't. Long leg vs short leg? Inclining into the new turn. The narrative seems to be implying that putting that foot behind you makes you turn. The cause of the turn couldn't possibly have anything to do with tipping and weighting the outside ski, could it? I suppose it's one way to tip and weight the outside ski, but I don't like obfuscation, and half explanations.
Yeah I can understand that position. But it does translate well to an intermediate like myself. I realize the 'dont worry about why' angle isn't the best approach and at some point the student needs to pay attention to the important part of the physics, but that and the dorsiflexion video from Deb A. did help unstick some of my brain to leg issues.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
...The cause of the turn couldn't possibly have anything to do with tipping and weighting the outside ski, could it? I suppose it's one way to tip and weight the outside ski, but I don't like obfuscation, and half explanations.
Pulling that foot back does indeed tip and weight the new outside ski.

This video and the others in this series are "quick ski tips" targeting hotel guests at the resort who are most likely infrequent skiers on vacation. It is a whopping 1:02 minutes long.

A resort guest watching might want to go out and try this since it looks so easy, and it might make their day more enjoyable. They might even want to book a lesson. Deeper explanation is not necessary if this is the purpose of the video.

We, on the other hand, want more. But hey, we're figuring out this "more" business on our own. That's fun.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Pulling that foot back does indeed tip and weight the new outside ski.

This video and the others in this series are "quick ski tips" targeting hotel guests at the resort who are most likely infrequent skiers on vacation. It is a whopping 1:02 minutes long.

A resort guest watching might want to go out and try this since it looks so easy, and it might make their day more enjoyable. They might even want to book a lesson. Deeper explanation is not necessary if this is the purpose of the video.

We, on the other hand, want more. But hey, we're figuring out this "more" business on our own. That's fun.
Yeah and I'm finding that it's really just transitioning with weight more than pulling. The thing that helps the most is it forces the dorsiflexion commit to memory and eventually muscle memory. I tried it last and the only thing that really changed is I ended up being more cogzniant of keeping tension with the foot and leg which ended up increasing fore/aft ratio (from 30s to high 40s) in the Carv app... So I guess it worked. "Pulling the leg" almost means stopping it from moving forward in my case.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Pulling the new outside foot back is just another type of extension initiation. It means there's no lessens the possibility of the torso and all its weight being aft at turn entry.

Rob Butler's 2 minute ski tips from way back then are fun to watch.
Agree with the emphasis on ANOTHER

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
giphy.gif

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
This video is sloppy just in talking about the uphill foot. Much better, more clear, to talk about the new outside foot. I tend to agree with some of the comments about how this is a quick-n-dirty way to get some infrequent skiers doing better on a smooth shallow run. I'd like to know the date of the video...how many years out of date is it? I remember instructors 20+ years ago telling students to push the inside foot forward--never knew why. Anyway, I'd consign this video to the antique curiosity bin.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
This video is sloppy just in talking about the uphill foot. Much better, more clear, to talk about the new outside foot. I tend to agree with some of the comments about how this is a quick-n-dirty way to get some infrequent skiers doing better on a smooth shallow run. I'd like to know the date of the video...how many years out of date is it? I remember instructors 20+ years ago telling students to push the inside foot forward--never knew why. Anyway, I'd consign this video to the antique curiosity bin.
Yeah it seems gimmicky but it did help a little, albeit probably not in the way the instructor intended it to.