• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

QST 98, Ranger 102, Endurance 98, MB 99Ti , etc

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for a wider ski as part of a 2SQ for trips. No opportunity to demo. Previous wider skis I've had are DPS 106 185/178, DPS 112RP 184, BMX 105HP and non-HP 181, V-Werks Katana 177

The narrow ski would be a mid-80s All Mountain, like a Fischer 82/86 GT, Brahma 82, Experience 86ti, etc. Note that for my All-Mountain ski with minimal rocker, I am happy with the 175-177 length.

For the wider ski, I don't need anything too wide as let's face it, the big dump is usually a rarity. But I'd like to be prepared if it is snowing throughout the day, and there are inches accumulating. In Europe as they groom everything, one can get off the lift and jump into the terrain between the adjacent groomers and seek out some fresh in there, or find marked off-piste runs. This wide'ish ski must still be decent enough on groomers, and have some flexibility and shape for variable conditions as the day progresses. I'm thinking 98-102 width in a longer 182'ish length to account for rocker and taper.

A few that are on my radar are:

QST 98 183
Ranger 102 183 ( 2023 version )
Renoun E98 184 ( latest version )
Mindbender 99Ti 184 ( 2023 version )
And for a discussion of narrow/longer vs wider/shorter, let's thrown in the new Mindbender 108Ti in the shorter 179 length

I have a friend ( my size ) out west with the QST 98/183 which is his main touring/pow ski. He loves it and says it floats like a 105 because of its shape. I have eye-balled the QST 98 several times in the shop, and its shape/design looks very versatile, along with great reviews. This is availably locally for me to rent.

I'm sure the new Ranger 102/183 would be a good choice too, and I'm a bit of a Fischer fan-boy now. I know it's a departure from the previous Ranger series, and have read the recent reviews at Ski-Essentials and Blister.

Would the revised Renoun E98 in 184 be a bit of work in that length ? I've never skied it, but a local friend has the E98v2 in 178 that I can try out

The reviews on the previous MB 99Ti have it as a charger as it is heavier, and perhaps a bit of work in 184. Do you think the newest version would more manageable in 184, and would it be quick and/or floaty enough compared to the others ?

As a contrast in my above width & length parameters, what about going a bit wider and shorter with something like the new 2023 MB 108Ti 179 ? Or something like Kastle FX106Ti in 176 ? And FWIW I can get a good discount on K2 via a friend.

thanks ~ Andy

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looking for a wider ski as part of a 2SQ for trips. No opportunity to demo. Previous wider skis I've had are DPS 106 185/178, DPS 112RP 184, BMX 105HP and non-HP 181, V-Werks Katana 177

The narrow ski would be a mid-80s All Mountain, like a Fischer 82/86 GT, Brahma 82, Experience 86ti, etc. Note that for my All-Mountain ski with minimal rocker, I am happy with the 175-177 length.

For the wider ski, I don't need anything too wide as let's face it, the big dump is usually a rarity. But I'd like to be prepared if it is snowing throughout the day, and there are inches accumulating. In Europe as they groom everything, one can get off the lift and jump into the terrain between the adjacent groomers and seek out some fresh in there, or find marked off-piste runs. This wide'ish ski must still be decent enough on groomers, and have some flexibility and shape for variable conditions as the day progresses. I'm thinking 98-102 width in a longer 182'ish length to account for rocker and taper.

A few that are on my radar are:

QST 98 183
Ranger 102 183 ( 2023 version )
Renoun E98 184 ( latest version )
Mindbender 99Ti 184 ( 2023 version )
And for a discussion of narrow/longer vs wider/shorter, let's thrown in the new Mindbender 108Ti in the shorter 179 length

I have a friend ( my size ) out west with the QST 98/183 which is his main touring/pow ski. He loves it and says it floats like a 105 because of its shape. I have eye-balled the QST 98 several times in the shop, and its shape/design looks very versatile, along with great reviews. This is availably locally for me to rent.

I'm sure the new Ranger 102/183 would be a good choice too, and I'm a bit of a Fischer fan-boy now. I know it's a departure from the previous Ranger series, and have read the recent reviews at Ski-Essentials and Blister.

Would the revised Renoun E98 in 184 be a bit of work in that length ? I've never skied it, but a local friend has the E98v2 in 178 that I can try out

The reviews on the previous MB 99Ti have it as a charger as it is heavier, and perhaps a bit of work in 184. Do you think the newest version would more manageable in 184, and would it be quick and/or floaty enough compared to the others ?

As a contrast in my above width & length parameters, what about going a bit wider and shorter with something like the new 2023 MB 108Ti 179 ? Or something like Kastle FX106Ti in 176 ? And FWIW I can get a good discount on K2 via a friend.

thanks ~ Andy

I can recommend some skis but would be best to know your height, weight, ability and overall terrain preference.

I am 6'-2" 200 lbs and just got a pair of 2022 Head Kore 99 in 184cm and they are awesome skis if you like to rail groomers fast and dabble into bumps, off trail and powder. They are quiet and damp with a smooth snow feel. If you like poppy, active and lively these are not your skis. Same can be said of the K2 MB 99's.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My sig has my H/W -> 55 yo , 5'8" ,m 160 lbs , can ski most anything, but not a speed demon.

Your comments on the MB 99Ti re-enforce what I have read and I'd probably rule that out. I don't want anything too stiff or damp, along the lines of the Kore. I'd like something a bit lively, active, maneuverable.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
You're looking for the same ski as I am, let me know when you find it!

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Considering you have a K2 discount.. I’ll vouch for the Mindbender 108ti as a soft snow ski especially if your bringing along a 80-90mm waist ski. It’s really versatile. I find it prettty easy to drive and the tail releases really well for slash and pivot. Also floats well for it’s width. It does reward a forward stance. It has what I would call a plush suspension, not alot of rebound. That said, if you want something that’s poppy look elsewhere.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can just say which one I would get, and of that list it would be to choose between the QST 98 and the Ranger 102.

O’ve skied the Q98, QST 99 and QLab, and I think Salomon makes an excellent off piste shape. The QST98 looks to take that off piste focus another level. Based on your preferences it would be hard to look past that, for my experience and tastes. If it was entirely me though, and in a 2 ski quiver with this the soft snow ski, I’d be sorely tempted to go the QST 106 instead.

I’ve loved the look and description of the Fischer 102, past and present versions. I’m predisposed to get this sort of more moderate width soft snow preferencing ski in that 100-105mm range. It would be pretty much “next cab off the rank” for me if I was buying for myself (along with 5 others I love the look of!). But like you say it looks like the QST98 will ski like a much wider ski off piste, meaning to some degree the precise underfoot numbers are superfluous.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The QST 98 is HEAVILY tapered with shorter turning radius so much more soft snow biased and much less proficient on groomers compared to even the QST 99. Agree with @BMC that the QST 106(not the 23 version) would be a better bet for stability, float and crud performance.

The 179cm Enforcer 104 would also be an excellent bet for a good all around performer that is a blast off piste and in bumps. Nice uniform flex pattern, easy to release tail and solid weight that won’t be tossed around in afternoon crud or tracked snow.

Mindbender 108ti would be the better bet vs the 99Ti for your use but not quite as easy off piste as the Enforcer 104 with it’s flatter tail and a bit more traditional mount. Hear the 23 version is going to have more tail rocker so it’s easier off piste. Still more soft snow biased so not great grip on piste but stable at speed and good in crud.

@Fuller You are a base grind and tune from already owning the ski that will outperform all of these skis. Know your tune is off by your descriptions. You will be floored after a re-tune!

If you can find a pair of 21 CT 3.0 they would out carve, out grip, be more stable and yet just as fun off piste as any of these. Ski narrower than their 112mm and feel more like 106mm ish

Owned the previous Fisher 102 and was a very good ski that’s a great carver but a little too light for my tastes and not as forgiving off piste as the Enforcer. The new one looks more forgiving tip/tail and quieter but still too light and don’t like it’s increased taper.

If you sacrifice a bit of float for groomer performance, the 21 CT 2.0 will embarrass any of the above on a groomer yet is very similar to the Enforcer 104 off piste and in moguls. Flex is in-between the Enforcer 104 and old Fisher 102 but with a longer turn radius than either, more dampening and a bit more weight. Sold the Fisher and Enforcer when I got them.
Was on mine today on fresh groomers that turned rough later and in the trees and still surprise me how great they are.

Reactions: BMC

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@GregK Not to impose on @ARL67's thread but since my ski limit is what I can pack in the roof box, my quota is a 4 ski quiver and 2 for the wife. I ski one mountain every day so it makes sense to have a 100mm ski to slot in between my Exp 88ti and the 112mm CT 3.0's. I'll be retiring the Sky 7's in favor of a soft snow biased ski, we have a lot of trees up here and I might as well ski 'em. So for me I'm thinking about the Fisher FR102, QST98 or perhaps a Bent Chetler 100.

We spent money like drunken sailors this year already so I'm just waiting for a killer deal to pop up - like the Factions.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
i have the Fischer 102FR (previous version) after skiing them a couple of days I gave my Mindbender 108s to one of my sons. You can definitely ski the 108s without much thought whereas the 102FR is not that kind of ski. But if you are on your game I find the 102FR better in every way other than say 12" of freshies. Can't comment on the new 102 as I haven't skied it.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought a qst 98 for touring, but its a decent resort soft snow or pow ski. Intuitive in bumps. Very versatile. Also good for soft groomers for a soft snow ski. If you like a metal free ski, this one is very fun ski. Given your experience with dps, I think the qst 98 will translate.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My sig has my H/W -> 55 yo , 5'8" ,m 160 lbs , can ski most anything, but not a speed demon.

Your comments on the MB 99Ti re-enforce what I have read and I'd probably rule that out. I don't want anything too stiff or damp, along the lines of the Kore. I'd like something a bit lively, active, maneuverable.

In that case I would strongly suggest the Atomic Bent Chetler 100 mounted well rear of center. Super versatile, fun and easy ski but still very capable specially for lighter weight skiers. The Elan Ripstick 96 is even easier and lighter but IMHO a bit too light for resort skiing. The new QST 98 looks like an awesome option as well. Havent skied it though. The enforcers are a bit too heavy and dull imho. Awesome skis with a wide performance envelope but on the heavier end of the scale.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya the Bent 100 has always been on my brain too for many years, and the new top sheets are stellar IMO, and they are always priced nice too.

I rode the lift the other day with a former Nordica rep with the 104 Unlimited on his feet. He was saying it was very easy to ski in its 186 length. The Enforcer in 179 seems kinda short. But heck what do I know as I mentioned the K2 108Ti 179 as a consideration.

I should probably rent that QST 98 183 locally just to get that either firmly off or on the brain. I’ll have to wait for the next snowfall forecast to get the best assessment of it.

Bottom Line: there seems to be so many great skis in the 100’ish category, which makes a decision difficult.

art1437

Face first into a rock
Skier
I’ll tell you my experience. This post seriously caught my eye.

I’m an advanced-expert skier, main mountain is Mammoth, but I spent the last 3 weeks skiing across Austria (Kitzbuhel, St Anton, Lech, Damuls), and it seems like you’re from Europe so this is directed right at you.

I started off on the Endurance 98 (170 cm), and after that broke on me, I bought a pair of Fischer Ranger 102s in a shop in Lech. Both in the years you’re specifying.

The Endurance first. I fucking loved that thing. It absolutely RIPS. My only real issue with it had been bumps because I tend to plow through them, and because of the whole HDT technology, it doesn’t really like that, so I had to learn to take it a bit slower and be really precise with my turns. Not a bad thing.

Also, at speed, thing’s a beast. Lay into it. Lay those big GS carves. Skis like a champ. Better than the Atlas 80 too, I thought, which I had before them. Powder, floats, pretty well. This is where the Ranger comes in.

Extra 4 mm, SO MUCH DIFFERENCE. The Ranger is a fucking powder ski. Absolutely rips it too. Loved every second turning on that thing. Definitely more geared toward short turns, Endurance I would just lay it and go, Ranger I feel like I have to put more drive and oomph into it to make it work for me. Endurance is an absolute automatic cruiser, whereas the Ranger’s more like your jittery manual stick shift you need to tame. Love it to death though. It’s definitely more robust than the Endurance, and way more versatile.

All in all, powder and general mountain the Ranger wins in my eyes. Definitely needs a better skier on it as it really rewards you when you stay on top of it. The Endurance is your friend, it’ll do the work for you, and you’ll love every second of it. Obviously, you still gotta bend your knees and know how to ski though. Jumps on the Ranger are also much more pleasant. Carving though, Endurance by miles. Fucking rips groomers all day and still has that power to go off piste. Hit my top speed on it too on some black run in Kitzbuhel just fucking gunning it ass to the ground edging. Definitely felt like the whole mountain felt my screaming and hollering at the end — first time I’ve broken the CA Freeway speed limit on skis. Here’s a pic of what they looked like before I trashed em and the Rangers to compare.

Edit: Oh yeah also, I’m 5’9 170 lbs 19M. Not fat, just lean so I have mass. Surf, yoga, ski. Just thought I’d mention this as you were looking for specific lengths and this might help you. Exact models: E98 (newest) 170 cm Pivot 14s, Ranger 102 2023 169 cm Attack 13s.

If it were me, I’d have them both. Endurance for when I feel like staying on piste more.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 0AAB84FD-E533-4B53-B49B-C9478F79F09E.jpeg
    0AAB84FD-E533-4B53-B49B-C9478F79F09E.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 72

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So much is taste. Demos are always good.

I spent half a day on the QST 98 at Snowmass before the Gathering Saturday, while waiting for the airline to find my ski bag. It didn't speak to me. I think I just don't relate to the Salomon snow feel. Also, I know it's not a groomer ski but it has zero carving chops. Otherwise very friendly and predictable.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I spent half a day on the QST 98 at Snowmass before the Gathering Saturday, while waiting for the airline to find my ski bag. It didn't speak to me. I think I just don't relate to the Salomon snow feel. Also, I know it's not a groomer ski but it has zero carving chops. Otherwise very friendly and predictable.
Could it have been a length issue, maybe too short, what length did you ski it in?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Im not surprised.

A lot of the skis in that width range are chargers and/or great on hard snow but the QST 98 is 90% a powder / soft snow ski. It is designed that way since Salomon offers the Stance 96. Its really a narrowish powder ski in today's standards which is not that common anymore.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Im not surprised.

A lot of the skis in that width range are chargers and/or great on hard snow but the QST 98 is 90% a powder / soft snow ski. It is designed that way since Salomon offers the Stance 96. Its really a narrowish powder ski in today's standards which is not that common anymore.
I think it depends on what your comparing it to. Comparing it to other 9x skis makes sense in a way, but probably doesn't tell even half the story.