• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

QST 98, Ranger 102, Endurance 98, MB 99Ti , etc

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So much is taste. Demos are always good.

I spent half a day on the QST 98 at Snowmass before the Gathering Saturday, while waiting for the airline to find my ski bag. It didn't speak to me. I think I just don't relate to the Salomon snow feel. Also, I know it's not a groomer ski but it has zero carving chops. Otherwise very friendly and predictable.
I agree the feel of them is weird. On a groomed run, it feels like I am placing the ski on edge and then it grips at a certain point. I think weather it works as a resort ski really depends on the skier and the resort. It's a ski for hunting pow stashes and hanging in the trees.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the comments guys, and I loved @art1437 enthusiastic reply ! Though @art1437 is nearly my H/W but his lengths are 2 size shorter than what I'm considering. We each have our preferences.

With the comments on the QST overnight, I really need to rent that one and see how it is on my groomers, as if it is too much of a slippery fish, it is off my list.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 179cm Enforcer 104 really is your best all around bet for your use. Much more effective edge than even the longer lengths of all the other skis mentioned, but enough rocker and tail splay to be easy to pivot and the most uniform tip to tail flex making it very forgiving off trail.

Remember, weight is your friend at the resort in crud and the Enforcer doesn’t ski heavy at all and is only a bit heavier than the QST 98. Shockingly easy to ski. One of my favourite off piste and mogul skis.
There’s a reason why all the lightweight skis like the Ripstick and Head Kores all finish bottom of class when it comes to suspension and crud performance.

Another option I forgot about which would be in-between the QST 98 and Enforcer 104 would be the MFree 98. SUPER playful yet not too light that it gets pushed around in variable snow. Very surfy off piste but carve better than a QST 98 on piste.
The 185cm is actually 181.5cm so you could easily handle it. Corbetts will have them on for $450 CAN too in a few weeks on their Spring Sales.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Greg, I'll check out the 104, I assume the 104 Free, not the Unlimited. The good thing is one can get Nordicas everywhere and will be on sale soon too. M-Free topsheets are reeeally not my cup of tea, enough to be a deal breaker.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Unlimited would be too light so you’d be into the same crud performance issues as those lighter skis. The regular 179cm 104 Free would be perfect size for you. And if you see a previous years topsheet of the 104 Free you like better, go for it as it hasn’t changed since introduction.

Enforcers are one of the few skis Corbetts didn’t get lots of stock on this year but other places will have them on I’m sure.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Considering you have a K2 discount.. I’ll vouch for the Mindbender 108ti as a soft snow ski especially if your bringing along a 80-90mm waist ski. It’s really versatile. I find it pretty easy to drive and the tail releases really well for slash and pivot. Also floats well for it’s width. It does reward a forward stance. It has what I would call a plush suspension, not alot of rebound. That said, if you want something that’s poppy look elsewhere.

Agree 100%. I just verified the MB 108s bandwidth today, with conditions ranging from pretty good new snow up top, to semi-treacherous grabby at mid-mountain, to rain-softened groomers down low.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This is a pretty good round up of the genre (2022). I like the way they organized it by overall flex.

Best ski reviews. They are awesome. Must watch really if you are in the market.

I want to demo more skis in that width range. I have gravitated to skis on the right side of their wall. (I own and love the Head Kore 99 184cm, my most recent addition)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree the feel of them is weird. On a groomed run, it feels like I am placing the ski on edge and then it grips at a certain point. I think weather it works as a resort ski really depends on the skier and the resort. It's a ski for hunting pow stashes and hanging in the trees.
Thx, @Tony S. IIRC you're about my size 1.5" taller, I'm 5'6.5". I was looking at a new in wrapper '22 QST98 for $340 in 169cm length and was thinking it may be too short. I did like what @SkiEssentials said about the ski, but not really liking what you and @tromano are saying wrt carving on the groom. I think I'll pass on it, stick with my Volkl 90eight for now, doesn't sound like QST98 would be much of an improvement in the catagory if at all.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a pretty good round up of the genre (2022). I like the way they organized it by overall flex.

My pick this year has been the one second from the right. With lots of messed up snow days this season, I've come back to the car and swapped in my Bonafides more than any other ski this year and my day always dramatically improves because of it.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thx, @Tony S. IIRC you're about my size 1.5" taller, I'm 5'6.5". I was looking at a new in wrapper '22 QST98 for $340 in 169cm length and was thinking it may be too short. I did like what @SkiEssentials said about the ski, but not really liking what you and @tromano are saying wrt carving on the groom. I think I'll pass on it, stick with my Volkl 90eight for now, doesn't sound like QST98 would be much of an improvement in the catagory if at all.
$340 is bloody inexpensive. Even viewing it as an experiment nothing much could go wrong. You’d sell it second hand for that.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
$340 is bloody inexpensive. Even viewing it as an experiment nothing much could go wrong. You’d sell it second hand for that.

That ski also isn't going to change for at least another 2 seasons. New graphics, sure, but shape and construction will stay consistent until (I would guess) the 24/25 ski season.

Reactions: BMC

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Random question that doesn't likely deserve its own thread--are there significant differences between the 2016 QST 99 and the present QST98?

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Yes. Completely different skis.

Thanks, wasn't difficult to the blister comparison between the two either. Google could have been my friend :) Sounds like a surfier version for soft snow off piste!