• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dru

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
7 weeks post op for me. Full weight, just knee brace, around 110 degrees. Able to go all the way around on a bike. PT twice a week. Going up stairs with railing is easy, but I’m nervous about trying down. Anybody have suggestions?

peter826

Skier
I'm at 17 weeks and stairs are a struggle. I never tried them with the brace on, so I can't say for sure what the impact of that might be. I lean heavily on the railing going up and going down is more like a controlled fall. My PT wants me doing leg presses to build the quad strength, but he didn't add those until I was about 12-14 weeks. My repaired quad is about 1/3 the strength of the good one. At 7 weeks you seem well ahead of the curve.

dru

Skier
I'm at 17 weeks and stairs are a struggle. I never tried them with the brace on, so I can't say for sure what the impact of that might be. I lean heavily on the railing going up and going down is more like a controlled fall. My PT wants me doing leg presses to build the quad strength, but he didn't add those until I was about 12-14 weeks. My repaired quad is about 1/3 the strength of the good one. At 7 weeks you seem well ahead of the curve.
Thanks. It’s a long flat curve, that’s for sure. I’m thinking about having a second railing put in so that I can hold onto both sides.

50+ Year Skier

Loving Loveland - 50+ yrs
Skier
Welcome, unfortunately to the newest members of the quad club. It is a LONG haul but just keep at it. One thing for sure, everyone recovers a little differently. I had a bilateral quad rupture and had no weight bearing at all for six weeks - fun being in a rehab facility and seeing other folks weight bearing. Since then, lots of PT but seemed like it'd be forever before I could sit or stand without major assistance. As far as going down stairs early on in recovery, do one step at a time to limit the range over which you are stressing the quad - normal stair action will happen but let it come when it comes.

Still, here I am one year post-injury and Doc says I'm good to go with whatever I want to do, but I'm still a little cautious. Oh the heck with it, in celebration, we did 23 miles (Breckenridge-Frisco-Breckenridge) by bike and no pain! Stairs are still "fun" in the morning but generally okay. Also dId a "short" two-mile hike up to St Mary's Glacier with the family---let's just say hiking poles are definitely my new best friends, especially going down over uneven terrain. Really looking forward to skiing as that will be the real test of recovery. Like many have commented here, coming back from such a serious injury is a long term prospect and it requires patience and dedication to doing PT. You all will recover at your own pace and will get back to most if not all of the things you love, just hang in there.

---postscript --- just for "fun", and using that term VERY loosely, I figured why not the arms too....ruptured both distal bicep tendons in February so two more surgeries during the pandemic, collectively 12 weeks in braces, etc, etc, etc..... All is well but I now have two "pin" arms to remind me of the "pin" legs after the quad rupture, so here we go with PT again......it can always be worse!

Ski1462

Skier
7 weeks post op for me. Full weight, just knee brace, around 110 degrees. Able to go all the way around on a bike. PT twice a week. Going up stairs with railing is easy, but I’m nervous about trying down. Anybody have suggestions?
I’m also 7 weeks post op. I was in a straight legged brace for 6 weeks after surgery. I couldn’t do a leg raise until week 4 post op. Just started PT this week. My tendon was also “shredded” as the doctor put it. So he had me at zero degrees to let the tendon heal. They were not able to use anchors because my bones were too dense and were breaking the anchors. The first week of PT was just passive ROM and I’m at 80 degrees after two sessions. I just started putting some weight on the leg and I can’t wait to start strengthening the quads! It seems like your recovery is going really well. Good luck!

Ski1462

Skier
So the unthinkable happened, we had snow on 4/2 and our north facing front steps got icy, took the garbage out that night and despite being careful I slipped, L leg went up, R leg deep bend as I contracted and felt the dreadful tear again, laid there at bottom of stairs in total shock, seriously thought life was over, knew I was starting over. Melissa dragged me in and we called the surgeon, who has become a friend, and he said get MRI and see him the next day, MRI confirmed repeat R quad tendon tear and a huge effusion, set up surgery which I had on my 54th birthday, 4/6. Surgeon said it torn clean off patella again and he fixed it the exact same way, said it came together nicely. Pain has been well controlled, I did have a femoral nerve block which really helped. Missed another week of work lying in bed and hobbling around. Had my staples out 3 days ago, he said it looks good and to stay in straight leg brace and follow up in 3 weeks. My gym/pool is closed so no early water therapy this time. Hard to express my devastation with tearing the quad tendon again, that first few days was misery, mental more than physical. Thank goodness for Melissa, my kids and my work colleagues, plus this forum. I wanted to just hide from everyone and I did for the first few days, but time tends to heal all wounds and I’m rebounding. So I’m now 13 days post-op repeat R quad tendon rupture and repair, starting over exactly 3 months after initial tear and 9 years after L quad tendon repair (luckily that one healed up well and is strong). I’ll get thru this one too, as will we all. Praying for all of us. Stay safe everyone, Andy.
That is my worst nightmare! Man, try to keep your spirits up! I know it would be very difficult for me. I’m 7 weeks post op and just started PT. My tear was not clean. The tendon actually was shredded. They couldn’t use anchors either. So my rehab is going to be a slow process. I hope your recovery goes well!

peter826

Skier
I’m also 7 weeks post op. I was in a straight legged brace for 6 weeks after surgery. I couldn’t do a leg raise until week 4 post op. Just started PT this week. My tendon was also “shredded” as the doctor put it. So he had me at zero degrees to let the tendon heal. They were not able to use anchors because my bones were too dense and were breaking the anchors.

Out of curiosity, how do they re-attach the tendon if they can't anchor it to the kneecap?

My tear was sort of L-shaped, according to the surgeon. It wasn't completely separated, about 85% torn but then went up into the muscle.

Ski1462

Skier
Out of curiosity, how do they re-attach the tendon if they can't anchor it to the kneecap?

My tear was sort of L-shaped, according to the surgeon. It wasn't completely separated, about 85% torn but then went up into the muscle.
They drillEs holes through the patella and ran sutures through the holes.

nighthiker

Skier
Hello all of you fellow quad tendon tear/rupture guys. I hope you are all recovering well. I am doing fine at 7 months post op (ruptured right quad tendon 12/29/2019). Walking 3-6 miles every day. Trying to consistently do strength exercises at home. I've even done a few strenuous hikes. Stairs are tough at times. Ibuprofen is my friend. I have a 1 year follow up with the surgeon in January. I still cannot jog/run. It is still just too tender with that motion. I'm glad I can walk/hike again. I have a few backpacking trips planned for the fall. Take care fellas.

peter826

Skier
5 months post op. Walking fine with no problems. Range of motion, I am within an inch of being able to pull my heel to my butt when standing up. Probably will be there in another week or so. Life is pretty normal -- walks with the wife, mowing the grass again. Stairs continue to be a work in progress. I've given up on elevators and also do "sets" of stairs at home as practice. Improvement with this seems to be slow -- the knee never hurts, that's not its thing. It just doesn't feel quite right. Sort of weak and unsure. I'm doing leg weights 3x a week to build the quad back up, but progress has been slower with this than in other areas of my recovery (like normal walking). My doc told me it would be six months minimum until most things felt normal, so there's that. Good luck to everyone else..

Andy53

Skier
Checking in. About 4 1/2 months since my repeat R quad tendon rupture repair Apr 6th. Slow but steady recovery. Working it hard daily. Started jogging a couple weeks ago. Ran 1.75 miles at 10:30 min/mile pace this am. Rode bike up and down hills 12 miles hard yesterday, 39 minutes. Working stairs daily. Ok going up but knee stiff and kind of crunches, just makes me nervous. I go down only when really holding onto rail, just very weak. Doing leg presses every other day, can do 100 lbs with R leg going about 90 degrees flexion. Walking well, working on skipping, jump rope, jumping jacks. Swimming laps every Thursday with no leg kicking limitations. ROM good, when I’m loosened up it’s full, heel to glute. Mentally much better. Been riding my dirt bike and catching up on yard work at home and the office. So it’s coming along. Praying for your recoveries! Andy.

dru

Skier
Hello all. I’m 10 weeks out now and seem to be pretty much on schedule. I appreciate all of the encouraging stories. Seems like 6 months at least until things feel “normal” but as long as I can get to Montana for fly fishing next spring, summer and fall, all the work will be worth it. Looking forward to ramping up the leg work as the Doc and PT allow. Stairs are difficult, especially going down. My PT recommended getting bannisters on both sides so I can hold on with both hands, so I’m doing that.
Are folks using a knee brace of some sort after getting out of the straight leg brace? What type? Thanks!

peter826

Skier
Had a six month follow up with my surgeon a few days ago. He said everything looks good -- "go out and enjoy your life". I walk with no problems. I'm never in any pain. After warming up, I can pull my foot to my glute, so I'm at or near 100% ROM. I'm going to keep working on that anyway, don't want to lose any flexibility. Stairs continue to be a work in progress, but much better than a month ago. I can go up without a handrail, but still use it on the way down. I'm doing leg presses and extensions now, and increasing weight regularly. I will get there -- I anticipate a 100% recovery at this point. I don't see any reason why not.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Might be a stupid question, how does one tear a quad? Hammy, I got that one covered.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Might be a stupid question, how does one tear a quad? Hammy, I got that one covered.
There are very few tales of heroism or near death experiences. Usually, it's an awkward slip something else you wouldn't have thought could do it. I slipped on ice walking down two steps. My right leg went out, my left leg staying planted, and my rear end landed on my left heal with all of my weight and BAM!

Andy53

Skier
I’ve done it 3 times. 1. While gunning a big snowmobile out of a snow hole I pushed hard and jumped as it popped out, extreme left quad contraction and muscle stronger than tendon and it ruptured off patella. 2. 9 years later while riding snowmobile took right hand off grip to look back at group, hit bump and was thrown back and feet were locked under frame causing rapid eccentric quad contraction as upper body went back, popped right quad off patella. 3. 3 months later took garbage out, slipped on ice and left leg went out while weak recovering right leg did a deep knee bend and quad tore off again (one of the saddest moments of my life as I knew instantly I was headed back to the OR and starting over). Andy.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Hello All -

I tore my right quad tendon in October 2016, so I'm almost 4 years post op. I migrated over from the old EpicSki forum and checked back in here after a long hiatus. Was really interesting (and a bit nostalgic) reading the posts from those who recently endured the dreaded QTR. I feel for you.

Just a note of encouragement that as bleak and painful as it is in the immediate weeks after the injury, it DOES get back to normal and you will reach a point where you go about your routine without thinking about it. I have skied, hiked, biked and done all the stuff I was doing before. Yeah, it's a little stiff after skiing and while it feels . . . different from the other knee, there no ambient pain.

For me, the breakthrough was stationary biking. Once I managed to do a complete revolution on the bike, the rehab took off. I've recently joined a local Row House and do rowing classes 3-4 times a week. Incredible for flexing the QT without any impact. Good for the quads too.

Hang in there folks. It sucks. But it gets a lot better.

Last edited:

nighthiker

Skier
Hey all-
I hope you guys are recovering well. 10 months post op. I've been doing some day-hiking this fall. Sometimes 10-13 miles at a time. Stiff and sore most of the time but manageable. Going up/down steps still hurts. At this time backpacking with 30-35 pounds is tough. 5 miles is my limit. I'm sure next year I can up that mileage. I think the pain I sometimes get (especially on steps) is joint pain. Hopefully that will get better too.

n0ragrace

On the slopes once again
Skier
Hey folks,

I want to say how thankful I am for this thread. I had a quads tendon rupture after a nasty spill while skiing in February of 2019, surgery a month later when I realized something was wrong and couldn't just be fixed with stitches. I was 19 and devastated. I'm about 20 months post-op now but I think back to the months after my accident and surgery when I found this site and found so much reassurance in all of your posts. Your routines, tips, and words of encouragement really helped get me through when I felt like no one around me really got it.

I did about 4 months of PT before going off on my own, regained almost full ROM within 4 weeks. I'm a big runner and started jogging again about 3 months post-op, but cycling is what definitely got my regular strength and endurance back. It took a pretty long time to feel normal and secure while descending on stairs. Since then, I've gotten real, regular hiking in (10-20 miles treks), some days without even realizing my poor knee's past. Hiking poles to distribute my weight and keep my balance have definitely been a huge savior, and I recommend investing in them. The real thing that holds me back is fear - I want to mountain bike but am afraid of falling, I can't run in slippery conditions, kneeling positions in yoga are still a no-go for me. Hopefully I'll commit myself to pushing myself a little more in these things over the next few months... maybe even trying a few bunny slopes if we get snow on the East Coast. I tried cross country skiing in March and loved it - still adapting to these different activities.

Anyone else struggle with stiffness and some pain with sharp weather changes? That's another problem I am pretty worried about if I decide to pick up downhill skiing again.

Sponsor

Staff online