• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Think I might have overdone it a bit yesterday, both my knee and ankle (for those who don't know from Epic Ski my recovery has been slowed somewhat by the fact I broke my fibula at the same time as I trashed my knee, ankle is held together with a big lump of metal now!) are a bit sore and I'm going to need my brace by the time I head out for a bit of a crutch hike in an hour or so. Planning a little hike today all on good paths, will take the bus to the next town then have a hop home along the canal and disused railway back home, around 5 miles with about 700ft (all in one mile long hill on the railway, there was a huge steam engine at the top of hill to haul trains up it when it was a working railway between 1831 and 1967). Normally this segment would be part of a longer run (no bus!) and take under an hour, today it doesn't matter if it takes me all day but should be a fun time out in the fresh air on one of my favourite routes.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
That was a nice little crutch hike, 7 miles ish in the end done with one crutch and the knee brace, and part of what I love about living where I do of those 7 miles only around 800yds was on roads (and with a slight change of route I could have missed out about 500 of those road yards!), the rest was on footpaths, canal toe paths and an old railway line that is now a cycle, walking and horse riding route. Took my time as I was taking pictures for a photo essay I'm planning to write over the next few days but a good way to stretch the legs! https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1719881327
If any of you use Garmin Connect feel free to connect.

Last edited:

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
It it is very scary with no brace! I am looking at the ground for water and cracks or divots. Trying to get out in public without it but I get so nervous. My co worker thinks I have PTSD! I am 11 weeks post op and still have a fair amount of swelling. I'm back to icing every day. Anyone else still have swelling this far out?

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Swelling is finally going down a bit (but still here) for me at 13 weeks. Today was my first day in the gym, easiest gym session in history, 20 min (2x10) on the bike and the leg press, curl and extension all on minimum weight 15 reps on each but the toughest session I've ever done!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
I am 10 weeks and still have some swelling. PT measures it and says it has been lessening each week. They say the swelling contributes to difficulty in getting the ROM.

I thought I was the only one who scoured the ground looking for potential places to fall! I have two coworkers who have had this injury and they both say the fear goes away in time.

squatheavy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all, I figured I would join over here and continue to discuss and share my experiences!

More than a year later, I think I walk normally, but I'm still very aware of it. I don't even think I limp, but I'm conscious of it. I know it'll go away slowly, just takes time.

I still have swelling as well, and ice regularly. No pain, no weakness, just swelling. That too will go away eventually!

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hello all, I figured I would join over here and continue to discuss and share my experiences!

More than a year later, I think I walk normally, but I'm still very aware of it. I don't even think I limp, but I'm conscious of it. I know it'll go away slowly, just takes time.

I still have swelling as well, and ice regularly. No pain, no weakness, just swelling. That too will go away eventually!

Welcome Squat Heavy!!! Glad you found the new place!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
I am 10 weeks and still have some swelling. PT measures it and says it has been lessening each week. They say the swelling contributes to difficulty in getting the ROM.

I thought I was the only one who scoured the ground looking for potential places to fall! I have two coworkers who have had this injury and they both say the fear goes away in time.

I could draw you a map of every little crack, uneven or slippy surface, little pothole and trip hazard round the little town I live in!

Goober

Skier

Hey Squatheavy,
How have you been doing? Have not checked in for awhile. Ruptured my proximal biceps tendon 3 months ago so have been concentrating on that and have totally forgotten about my quad tendon. I'm surprised you still have swelling. Do you think it's from heavy lifting?

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
PT was a bear today. They are focused on the ROM....it is painful as they bend the knee. Only at 80 degrees and it is a fight for every degree! I am doing everything they have told me to do at home as well, boy is this slow....I was in tears today.....they say it's moving and the pain is the stretching of the shrunken muscles...

Anyone have helpful tips to do at home?

davkt

Booting up
Skier
PT was a bear today. They are focused on the ROM....it is painful as they bend the knee. Only at 80 degrees and it is a fight for every degree! I am doing everything they have told me to do at home as well, boy is this slow....I was in tears today.....they say it's moving and the pain is the stretching of the shrunken muscles...

Anyone have helpful tips to do at home?
Just keep at it! Knee bends and all the rest, I know I'm having it way easier than most on ROM but that is what I've been doing to get the last little bit of flex.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Almost job done on ROM! Doing some stretching earlier decided to see how far the trashed leg wanted to bend, without any trouble got it so my heel was within about an inch of touching my buttock. Still working on the stability of my knee, pretty much faceplanted into the front door going to open it earlier!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Almost job done on ROM! Doing some stretching earlier decided to see how far the trashed leg wanted to bend, without any trouble got it so my heel was within about an inch of touching my buttock. Still working on the stability of my knee, pretty much faceplanted into the front door going to open it earlier!
I love your optimism!....The bend is the toughest to get and you are ahead,...your strength will come with all of your effort...for me, when I look back to my limits right after the surgery...I have come a long way....but man a long way to go....

I can only go 80 degrees but my strength and stability are getting better...they have me going up the strairs in continuous motion and I am feeling stronger each time....they say I will have to fight for every degree and while I am slow gaining ROM it is moving....at home all day I do the squats, bends, weights, the bike and have added a dog leash to help increase the bend....

There is a guy in PT for a neck issue....he looked at me and said...."torn quad?". I told him it was and he told me he did his 5 years ago when he slipped on wet grass while golfing. He told me I would get back to normal but it took him a full year to feel himself. Now he does not even think about it.....until he sees wet grass.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Yep, at 4 months post accident it is still pretty early days, the physiotherapist is still shocked by my ROM, says it simply should not be possible this soon after a full quad tendon rupture but agrees with me it must simply be down to the hypermobility that is just how my body works. I'm doing all the squats, static bike, leg machines at the gym and all the rest, slowly the reliance on the brace is lessening.

TS
JohnG46

JohnG46

Skier
6 weeks 2 days Post-Op

How quickly time goes by when you are doing exercises practically every hour of the day for 30-45 minutes. I've been tasked to do 7 sets of exercises each non PT visit day. My goal was to reach 80 ROM by this past Friday and I only got to 75 with some major stretching. PT had me walk without a brace on Friday, first with two crutches, then one then none. Definitely was very anxious doing this but it felt good to bend the leg a bit while "walking." Brace open to 60 when seated and sleeping. Also, was advised to unlock while walking in the house but need to use one crutch.

I met with the surgeon last Thursday and he was content with the progress thus far. He advised me to get things moving as he wants me off the brace in 2 weeks. I'm not sure that will happen but I happy that I can push things a lot more with limited fear of damaging the leg. I asked about pool therapy and the OS said sure good idea - g. He also cleared me to test driving - getting in the car, driving around the block. I'll probably wait a few more weeks until I drive on the major roads.

Letting the leg merely hang doesn't seem to do anything anymore since I can let it hang for an hour plus without any discomfort. The surgeon said to apply pressure while it is hanging and continue to increase it. As of today, I am working on the ROM (outside of all my other exercise assignments) by sitting with my brace unlocked with my foot (bad leg) on the ground and then pushing slightly forward until I feel the stretch.

The ROM thing is no joke.I'm looking to push things as hard as I can and am hopeful gains will come.

Congrats to all with your forward progress!! Your messages continue to advise and inspire.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
On the driving my physio said basically I am good to go once my knee is strong enough to stamp on the brake like an emergency stop with the knee giving way at all, just about there now!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
6 weeks 2 days Post-Op

How quickly time goes by when you are doing exercises practically every hour of the day for 30-45 minutes. I've been tasked to do 7 sets of exercises each non PT visit day. My goal was to reach 80 ROM by this past Friday and I only got to 75 with some major stretching. PT had me walk without a brace on Friday, first with two crutches, then one then none. Definitely was very anxious doing this but it felt good to bend the leg a bit while "walking." Brace open to 60 when seated and sleeping. Also, was advised to unlock while walking in the house but need to use one crutch.

I met with the surgeon last Thursday and he was content with the progress thus far. He advised me to get things moving as he wants me off the brace in 2 weeks. I'm not sure that will happen but I happy that I can push things a lot more with limited fear of damaging the leg. I asked about pool therapy and the OS said sure good idea - g. He also cleared me to test driving - getting in the car, driving around the block. I'll probably wait a few more weeks until I drive on the major roads.

Letting the leg merely hang doesn't seem to do anything anymore since I can let it hang for an hour plus without any discomfort. The surgeon said to apply pressure while it is hanging and continue to increase it. As of today, I am working on the ROM (outside of all my other exercise assignments) by sitting with my brace unlocked with my foot (bad leg) on the ground and then pushing slightly forward until I feel the stretch.

The ROM thing is no joke.I'm looking to push things as hard as I can and am hopeful gains will come.

Congrats to all with your forward progress!! Your messages continue to advise and inspire.
Great news. You are really moving..I am about 4 weeks ahead of you and at 80 ROM. So probably a little behind your ROM. I do the exercises all day as well, but the main push is increasing the ROM. It is painful and a fight to get each degree. No free lunch with this injury! I have added a dog leash to my routine where once I bend to my max I can give a tug and hold. No less pain...I still hang my leg but I added ankle weights which are helpful. I am on the exercise bike twice each day and I can see progress. Use every opportunity for a bend or stretch!

Lastly , I don't think the fear of reinjuring the quad goes away easily.

Keep up the good work!

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Great news. You are really moving..I am about 4 weeks ahead of you and at 80 ROM. So probably a little behind your ROM. I do the exercises all day as well, but the main push is increasing the ROM. It is painful and a fight to get each degree. No free lunch with this injury! I have added a dog leash to my routine where once I bend to my max I can give a tug and hold. No less pain...I still hang my leg but I added ankle weights which are helpful. I am on the exercise bike twice each day and I can see progress. Use every opportunity for a bend or stretch!

Lastly , I don't think the fear of reinjuring the quad goes away easily.

Keep up the good work!

Good idea on the dog leash. I wish I thought about that. No, the fear doesn't' go away. I still look at wet steps and think "be vewy, vewy careful".

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
12 weeks post op and I'm at 115 ROM. No brace, no crutch and no cane! Woo hoo! PT is going great. Ready for summer and booked a vacation. Was supposed to go to Europe but waiting until I'm fully recovered. Using my Fitbit and shooting for 4,000 steps a day. Hope you are all doing well!

Sponsor

Staff online