• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
NG, thanks for your suggestion. I had an MRI a few months ago to diagnose a small tear in my medial meniscus in the same knee, so I presume a bone spur or some such issue would have shown up on that. My doc said that scar tissue would not be visible on there, so there's no telling where it might be, or if it's even really the problem. On a positive note, the MRI showed a good joint space and little if any arthritis in my knee after 42 years of running and over 100,000 miles, so I'm happy about that. Plus, the meniscus tear has not been an issue since it flared up a few months ago.

So I have much to be thankful for, and I continue to stretch my knee, while coming to realize that my slightly limited ROM is mostly not holding me back very much.

Hope everyone is continuing to do well. Please post your progress reports.

Don379

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Saw Doctor today for my 6 month check. He likes the tendon progress. Strength and muscle not same as good leg yet. He said I could try running (on treadmill) which has not felt right to try just yet.
Not doing PT, I find swimming, elliptical, stair master and weights to be better. I do notice some back pain probably from the strength gap etc.
Range of motion is ok, but I still am not confident down stairs or carrying heavy stuff around.
But definitely better than 3 months ago. Plus now I have learned to swim!

Don379

Skier
Even with almost full range of motion, I am not able to do much at all running. The quad strength is not there and it has been very awkward. Hopefully running will be in the cards. The bad leg is maybe 60% strength.

peter826

Skier
Today, at nearly 20 months, I finally did a nice leg extension with 20 pounds on the machine. Yes, doesn't sound like much, but that is a serious achievement for me. Actually, I did six reps. Next time, I'll try for ten.

I've often said I'm the poster child for long recovery -- but my life has been pretty normal for a long time now. I just couldn't do a leg extension with anything other than 2-5 pounds of ankle weights. With that barrier finally broken, I will keep on working. I can do 80 pounds with my good leg, so I have some catching up to do. And despite how different they are on the machine, I still see no difference in day-to-day life. I walk normally, do the elliptical, ride the bike, whatever. Maybe if I was playing soccer or making a kicking motion I would notice it (except my repaired leg is my left leg, which isn't the dominant one anyway).

Last edited:

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
Don, so glad to hear you are coming along. Interesting that both you and Peter note that strength is lagging in your injured leg. I feel that the strength of my repair is good, but I continue to whine about my slightly limited ROM. As I've noted, I'm fortunate that I've been able to run since my four month mark, but as I close in on 12 months (in a couple of weeks), I still have not been on a treadmill. I don't feel comfortable with the relentless pace of the belt. I do most of my running on softer surfaces, like grass and smooth dirt paths. I started out walking, then mixed in some intermittent running, and within a few weeks I was able to run for a few miles at a time, at a relatively slow pace. I must say that I'm a bit envious that you have learned to swim! I can splash around a bit to keep from drowning, and am able to swim short distances. But being able to do laps remains on my list of long-term goals.

Peter, your issues with strength remind me of my ROM concerns, namely that while they are slightly limiting, they really don't interfere in everyday life most of the time. I keep stretching on my own, but it just doesn't feel like I'm making any further progress.

Keep at it gentlemen. We remain works in progress. Talk with everyone soon.

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
Today marks the one year anniversary of my injury. All things considered, I'm quite happy to be where I am today. Just got back from a 50 minute run on some nice local trails, followed by a 30 minute sandbag strength training workout.

BTW, I should have concluded my last note with, "Keep at it gentlemen and lady."

peter826

Skier
Nothing new to report here, but a belated Happy Holidays to everyone. I hope the lack of traffic on this thread means few people have had this devastating injury. Snow and ice season is upon us in the north, so watch your step and be careful out there!

Don379

Skier
Happy Holidays everyone. Its been 7 months since my 2nd operation. Strength is about 60% of good leg. Have trouble with running. Cant heel strike with bad leg which really throws off my stride. I am swimming and biking. Some weights but nothing too serious as I am not schooled up on all that. I wonder if some PT sessions for running exercises would help. I am ok to wait it out but would like to treadmill at 8-830 mile pace.
Hoping for some snow to XC ski soon!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know this thread is about quadriceps rupture, but I have thought a bit about Achilles rupture after talking to a relative about his Achilles rupture and the onset of tight ankle issue as I get older.
This Instagram post has piqued my interest. Any input is appreciated.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Last week was 5 years since I snapped my right quads tendon, have finally conceded my right knee (probably as much down to 57 years of use and abuse as the the injury) is not up to the skiing I want to do, not complaing, since the injury said knee has run ultras, cycled Eroicas and done skiing but guess age catches us all. So time to learn to snowboarding as lots of folks tell me that is easier on dodgy knees!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I know this thread is about quadriceps rupture, but I have thought a bit about Achilles rupture after talking to a relative about his Achilles rupture and the onset of tight ankle issue as I get older.
This Instagram post has piqued my interest. Any input is appreciated.

There is a very simple, and effect PT protocol for Achilles tendonitis. Everyone should be doing it. Book a session with a PT that has completed their fellowship.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Last week was 5 years since I snapped my right quads tendon, have finally conceded my right knee (probably as much down to 57 years of use and abuse as the the injury) is not up to the skiing I want to do, not complaing, since the injury said knee has run ultras, cycled Eroicas and done skiing but guess age catches us all. So time to learn to snowboarding as lots of folks tell me that is easier on dodgy knees!

13 months out from full rupture. Just skied hard for five consecutive days. My life is back to normal, but with more gym time - instead of focusing on cycling, skate skiing, etc - to prep for two weeks of heli in Iceland. It is a simple process. It is just not easy.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
13 months out from full rupture. Just skied hard for five consecutive days. My life is back to normal, but with more gym time - instead of focusing on cycling, skate skiing, etc - to prep for two weeks of heli in Iceland. It is a simple process. It is just not easy.
Yeah, that worked for me for 4 years, as I say its as much the abuse my knees have picked up over the decades as the injury that has finally caught up.

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
Yeah, that worked for me for 4 years, as I say its as much the abuse my knees have picked up over the decades as the injury that has finally caught up.
Davkt, not sure what you mean by that. Did you have a re-injury? Care to elaborate?

Martyg, I believe our injuries were only about a week apart. Glad to hear you're doing well. Like you, I seem to be fully recovered, and back to a full range of activities, although I still wish my ROM were just a little better. Not sure if it's my imagination, but as I continue to stretch it, I seem to note some slight improvement.

Don379

Skier
I am one year in from initial rupture (complete) and the second repair was done in May. I am with full range of motion, been XC skiing, biking (trainer), swimming, elliptical and stair master. I have trouble running so really don't do much. The running problem is the lower leg and ankle are not landing heel first. That throws off my stride and almost feels like I have to limp to run. So I don't do much running sadly. Mind you, have been a life long runner. Hopefully I will get the last bit of coordination/strength to allow a my running stride to work.
Would say life is back to nearly normal except for the running part.
Glad to hear everyone checking in!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Davkt, not sure what you mean by that. Did you have a re-injury? Care to elaborate?

Martyg, I believe our injuries were only about a week apart. Glad to hear you're doing well. Like you, I seem to be fully recovered, and back to a full range of activities, although I still wish my ROM were just a little better. Not sure if it's my imagination, but as I continue to stretch it, I seem to note some slight improvement.
Nope no new injury just wear and tear from 57 years of use of said knee.

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
Hey Don, glad to hear you're coming along. As one lifelong runner to another, I feel your pain of not being able to pursue our favorite activity. Might I suggest that this could be a good time to ditch your heel strike and develop a mid-foot landing. I made the change around 20 years ago, after 20+ years as a heel striker. It transformed my running, eliminating hamstring and glute pain. Check www.chirunning.com for more info. Please note that I have no financial interest or any other affiliation with them, other than that I have found the info quite helpful. Hope you do as well.

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
As we have fallen off the first page, thought I would post something here to move us back to the top. It's been almost two months since my last post, so I hope that means everyone is doing well, and no one has sustained this injury recently. I am 16 months post-op today, and happy to report that I am doing fine. Despite stretching my injured leg every day, I am still a bit short of full ROM, but I am quite functional, and am able to run every day and do some strenuous workouts. I've even tried some golf, and my legs seem to be fine with that.

Hope everyone is continuing to progress nicely.

peter826

Skier
I am well past two years now, and everything is pretty normal for me and has been for quite some time. I did realize earlier this year that I couldn't run, or hadn't tried, and that probably I should do that. So I tried it -- ugh! It was like I was running on a peg leg at first. My body just hasn't done something like that in forever. Realized all my workouts are low impact, and the knee hadn't had any pounding. So I've been running a bit and that has gone ok, getting smoother, and actually I feel like that has had some minor positive impact on things....maybe better balance, or less reluctance to lead with the repaired knee, or something like that.

Took a trip to the Amalfi coast and stayed in a place that was 250 steps up a hill each way. I was climbing a couple thousand a day - no problems!

One thing that still bedevils me is leg extensions. I simply can't seem to move past very light (10-20 pounds) on that repaired knee when lifting with just the repaired leg. It shakes and quivers and it's intensely hard. And if I stop doing them for a week or two I seem to quickly lose whatever progress I've made. This weakness seems to have zero impact on my day-to-day life, though. So I'm not sure if I should keep beating myself up over this or just accept it's not going to be the same. I can leg press the same with the repaired side, no problem. It's just the extensions that are so hard for me.

Don379

Skier
I am just past 2nd surgery to repair (May 27 2021) and things are improving. I can run but find walking to be as beneficial. My running pace is roughly 9-10 minute miles. That is up from 6-8 minute pace. My back actually hurts more than leg in running. I can do leg extensions but 20-30 pounds. The bad leg is maybe 70-80% strong as the good leg and although still improving I am not too worried about strength imbalances. Range of motion also feels fine. So nothing is holding me back except me! Focus is to keep moving, biking, walking, running and swimming with some weights and stretching (yoga and PT related)
Glad to see everyone posting and improving.

Sponsor