• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnG46

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Beginning a thread that was initially started in 2008 on EpicSki.com. The site is shutting down this week so hoping to continue the activity at PugSki.com. It has been a tremendous source of information and inspiration for the unlikely folks that have experienced Quad Tendon ruptures (and partial tears).

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Is there any way the EpicSki thread can be copied over to here, it is easily the single best resource for ruptured quads on the internet and it will be a tragedy if the more than 11000 posts are lost.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
The migration may be hard and the material may be copyrighted. It's a lot of information to lose. I suggest putting "epic ski quad tendon" at the bottom of each posts so search engines pick up the key words.

epic ski quad tendon

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Well they said save your favourite info so I now have the entire of the quads rupture topic safely on my hdd. Happy to pass it on if there is any way of getting it up on here or elsewhere round the net. Have messaged one of the admins here to see if they are willing/able to host it.

Last edited:

davkt

Booting up
Skier
OK the admins here are working out what they can legally host from the soon to be no more site.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
I - and my slowly-but-surely healing quad tendon - have made it over.

Hope to see everyone here.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
OK the admins here are working out what they can legally host from the soon to be no more site.

It will be interesting to see what the sites Terms of Service say as to who legally owns the material. I kind of mentally said "yeah, yeah I agree" and click.

epic ski quad tendon

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Have been following for several weeks but first time posting. Left leg QRT on 2/16 and surgery on 2/23. OS put me on non weight bearing for the next 4 weeks, although had VNA in for PT during this se 4 weeks. Began PT at week 5.

Progress is slow although the crutches are gone and I am walking (if you can call it that). PT is 2X per week and working on ROM only 60 but inching ahead.

The forum has been a great source of Information and inspiration.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Forgot to mention how I did this....I was walking my dog in front of my house on a level street during a snow storm. My leg slipped on some ice, I heard a popping sound and I was on the ground, unable to get up. Taken by rescue to local hospital. The ER doc toook a look at the divot in my leg and told me the quad was torn. The MRI confirmed and was scheduled to meet the ortho and was scheduled for surgery a few days later.

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Hello Everyone. I'm here 13 weeks out today I think lol and right now I quit focusing on the ROM and now am focused on getting the muscle back in my leg the hanging skin is driving me crazy. I get to start running next Wednesday I'm so excited. I'm starting to walk normal and going down the steps is getting easier. Going up the stairs is no problem. I still have a tendency to baby my leg but it's not as bad as it used to be

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Is there any way the EpicSki thread can be copied over to here, it is easily the single best resource for ruptured quads on the internet and it will be a tragedy if the more than 11000 posts are lost.

Forgot to mention how I did this....I was walking my dog in front of my house on a level street during a snow storm. My leg slipped on some ice, I heard a popping sound and I was on the ground, unable to get up. Taken by rescue to local hospital. The ER doc toook a look at the divot in my leg and told me the quad was torn. The MRI confirmed and was scheduled to meet the ortho and was scheduled for surgery a few days later.

Ice is the devil!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
12 weeks post op for me, another physiotherapy session today so feeling a bit sore but home with a load of new things to work into my 3 times a day training routine. Also got my mile on crutches PB down to 14:37 tonight though admittedly that was a bit of sprint, it is a lovely spring evening here and I was itching to go for a run so though screw it I will, on crutches! Stuck to the tarmac paths and set out on the flat (well flat for here, only about 50m of elevation change) known mile course I have from the front door, I'd guess around 30% of the normal load was going into the trashed leg, slower step rate than running but much longer steps with the help of the crutches. Rather fortunately a new pub, which is my current favourite, has opened recently about 100m from the end of the mile so treated myself to a beer as a reward for my first sub 15 min crutch hop mile! hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks I'll be off them but new target is to get a sub 10 min mile. Not bad when I think to when I first ventured out on the crutches only a couple of months ago, the half mile or so to the local shop and back and around 5 min in the shop took almost 45 min!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Oh and while I've agreed with the Admins on here not to post the Epic thread on here while they sort the legalities if any of you need it for personal research once Epic is gone just drop me a message with your email addy.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Glad you got yourself out to enjoy the weather and to test a new pub!

I noticed this injury really gives you a good knockout! My timing for everything is a bit off. Tried playing electric guitar today for the first time in 9 weeks and noticed it was awkward. My electrics are on the lower level of the house and I had been afraid to do the down the stair routine to get to them. But caution to the wind today. At the end of playing for an hour or so it was feeling more normal. The fact I have to sit down to play rather than stand may be a factor. It felt nice though...oh well.

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
12 weeks post op for me, another physiotherapy session today so feeling a bit sore but home with a load of new things to work into my 3 times a day training routine. Also got my mile on crutches PB down to 14:37 tonight though admittedly that was a bit of sprint, it is a lovely spring evening here and I was itching to go for a run so though screw it I will, on crutches! Stuck to the tarmac paths and set out on the flat (well flat for here, only about 50m of elevation change) known mile course I have from the front door, I'd guess around 30% of the normal load was going into the trashed leg, slower step rate than running but much longer steps with the help of the crutches. Rather fortunately a new pub, which is my current favourite, has opened recently about 100m from the end of the mile so treated myself to a beer as a reward for my first sub 15 min crutch hop mile! hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks I'll be off them but new target is to get a sub 10 min mile. Not bad when I think to when I first ventured out on the crutches only a couple of months ago, the half mile or so to the local shop and back and around 5 min in the shop took almost 45 min!
14min mile way to go.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Glad you got yourself out to enjoy the weather and to test a new pub!

I noticed this injury really gives you a good knockout! My timing for everything is a bit off. Tried playing electric guitar today for the first time in 9 weeks and noticed it was awkward. My electrics are on the lower level of the house and I had been afraid to do the down the stair routine to get to them. But caution to the wind today. At the end of playing for an hour or so it was feeling more normal. The fact I have to sit down to play rather than stand may be a factor. It felt nice though...oh well.
It certainly does. Even something as simple as making a mug of tea or coffee takes about twice as long.

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
I am so glad I found you!! I was under the name dtakhammer4 on the Epicski site.
Just returned from my first PT session. I am 10 weeks post op from ruptured quad tendon and 14 weeks post op from total knee replacement. I slipped on ice 4 weeks after the knee replacement and ruptured the quad. Two surgeries this winter but I am slowly making it back. My delayed PT was because of the knee replacement issues. I am brace free! I still use the crutch when going out of the house. Today I was at 110 ROM. Extension was good too. My PT and I are taking it slow per the OS orders. I am riding the bike and doing the basic leg lifts, etc. Will only do PT 2 times a week for the first two weeks and then we will amp it up a bit. I am excited to get this quad stronger. Not sure I will play tennis or do yoga anytime soon but hopefully it will be in my future. It's been a long winter and one I don't want to repeat anytime soon. Gave me lots of time to think about my future! Hope you are all progressing nicely. Have a great weekend. Spring is here in Michigan!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
When does walking with the brace on get easier? I feel like Frankenstein or someone who has ridden a horse for too long. It is tiring. It seems that I had more speed and stamina using the crutches.

Also does anyone's feet feel "squishy" after being on them for a while and does that go away?

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
When does walking with the brace on get easier? I feel like Frankenstein or someone who has ridden a horse for too long. It is tiring. It seems that I had more speed and stamina using the crutches.

Also does anyone's feet feel "squishy" after being on them for a while and does that go away?

I was struggling to walk normally until one day at the park I was walking up a slight slope and realized i wasn't limping. I figured out that when we walk we do so in a slight crouch so I focused on walking with my knees slightly bent and the limp disappeared.

Sponsor

Staff online