• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question about Possible new skis

spenlo1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,
I am an advanced snowboarder and looking to start skiing so I could do either one.
I don’t think the learning curve will be steep, but I also don’t want to buy something way out of my element. I was going to rent skis a few times this season but, also wanted to see what was available on Craigslist. I found a set of Rossignol B2 Skis with “Look” Bindings. The skis are my size based on my sizing I had done today. I am 6’0” and the skis are 165. I was told at my sizing to go 160-167.

The listing says the edges are sharp and no marks on the skis. He’s selling after only using them once and can’t ski anymore due to knee problems.

I wanted to get some advice to see if these would be good to buy and what’s a good price point if so. The guy just said to make an offer if interested. Thank you!! I’m attaching a picture for reference.

1674447473266.jpeg

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
The B2 is roughly a 15 year old ski. If the bindings are original, they are likely no longer on the indemnified list and if will be difficult to get someone to touch them. I would suggest looking for newer skis.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Pretty sure that is a 2007 ski, and as mentioned above the bindings won’t make the indemnified cut unless they have been swapped out for something far newer.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I recall the B2 as an easy-going forgiving ski. It should work OK, although you won't be pulling any 3g turns on hardpack.
As has been said, the bindings are most likely no longer "indemnified" which means that a shop will no longer work on them for you and might not even work on the skis. Binding companies put out lists of indemnified bindings and cover the ski shop who use their certified technicians from liability if the shop gets sued due to bindings failing. Being old plastic, they might just fall apart at the most inconveinient time when your skiing. Do you like to live dangerously?

You could always buy some new bindings to go with them, but who wants to take the trouble to do that?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Too bad you don't have a bigger pic, that looks like it might be a demo binding.

Deffo walk away. Yes I know a demo binding would be easy to adjust to your boot, but that demo binding is ... :nono::geek::nono:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's your weight and how fast to you see yourself skiing. Both of these relate more to ski length than just your height. In any ski line the longest are the stiffest made for the fastest, strongest skiers, and the shortest are the softest made for the featherweights and slow pokes. You need a ski stiff enough, but not too stiff, to respond to the inputs you give it. I agree, 165 is likely a size or two too short for you.

"Look" is a top brand of ski bindings owned by Rossignol. Any modern Look is fine. Binding makers indemnify ski shops in case of a claim if they work on bindings on the indemnification list. After a certain number of years the binding makers drop older bindings off the list. Most shops won't touch a binding that isn't on the list.

We all agree that suitable, well fitted ski boots are the most important piece of gear. Get boots that work very well for you, then consider skis. All of us would ski better with our boots and garage sale skis than vice versa. Rent boots to get the feel of the sport, but expect the rental boots to be a sloppy fit that doesn't do a good job of transfering leg movements to the skis. Well fitted boots are snug and comfy, something of an exoskeleton like a crab's shell. NO slop between the boot and your foot. Rule of thumb: if the boots are comfy in the shop, they're too big. Expect to make return visits to the shop you buy boots from to get tight spots heated and pressed out to suit your unique feet.

Sponsor