• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question about second hand skis.

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Hello Fellas,

Hope to get an advise about the 2nd hand skis.

While I am still learning I decided to buy my first second hand skis.
For a second hand boots (great condition and those fit amazing) and a pair of skis (in sharp and good condition) I paid only $80.
But Now I have a concern about the skis itself. The skis I got are Rossignol V2CL with Salomon bindings (I am 6'2" and skis are 183cm).
Just like the pictures attached.

Question is - will those be difficult to "ride" in an average green-blue mountains for beginners?
The front tip on the ski is sharp and not too wide. Should I consider something else?

Any advise on "style" for skis?

Thanks!

Attachments

• rossignol-v2cl-173-downhill-skis_1_de64fae2d4331d194c063df95f0694ac.jpg
    rossignol-v2cl-173-downhill-skis_1_de64fae2d4331d194c063df95f0694ac.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 129606953_10100614078326037_3475083901945149420_o.jpg
    129606953_10100614078326037_3475083901945149420_o.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 84

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The skis are from about 1990, unfortunately you paid about $80 too much for them. The bindings are not indemnified which means no ski shop will touch them to make sure they will function properly for settings. Plus them not being indemnified, plastic from that generation was not very good and are very prone to breakage. I would nto suggest skiing them at all.

As far as what you will ant, something more modern that will come up to your nose. The ski will ahve more shape. Dimensions will be about 120mm in the tip, 80mm in the waist and 110mm in the tail, +/-mm with these numbers. These numbers will be printed on the skis.

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
The skis are from about 1990, unfortunately you paid about $80 too much for them. The bindings are not indemnified which means no ski shop will touch them to make sure they will function properly for settings. Plus them not being indemnified, plastic from that generation was not very good and are very prone to breakage. I would nto suggest skiing them at all.

As far as what you will ant, something more modern that will come up to your nose. The ski will ahve more shape. Dimensions will be about 120mm in the tip, 80mm in the waist and 110mm in the tail, +/-mm with these numbers. These numbers will be printed on the skis.

Glad I asked! $80 mistake won't kill me lol.

Thank you for your response!
Will be on a lookout for a new skis with the dimensions you suggested.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are the boots as old as the skis? Please post picture here.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I seen a guy last week wearing the old Raichle free flex boots. The black with purple and green buckles. Probably were bought same time as these skis as a set.

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Are the boots as old as the skis? Please post picture here.

Don't mind missing heel pad, buddy of mine is getting me a new ones (old ones cracked a little on the edge)

Attaching pictures with bindings and boots.

Attachments

• IMG_7389.jpeg
    IMG_7389.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7391.jpeg
    IMG_7391.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7390.jpeg
    IMG_7390.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 62

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just as an example there are early year end deals to be had (COVID) which would be about 3 to 4 times the price you you paid for new skis. This is from a chain (brick and mortar) in Canada and its about US$360.00

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...-333350917.html#333350917[color]=333350917_49

I’m sure there are better deals and skis that can recommended.

Boots on the other hand buy in person and get fitted (even though a few of us on the site buy on line, it is not recommended inless you really know what you are doing).

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That boot is from the same era and honestly I wouldn't trust them.

p93s_nordica_broken_ski_boot.jpg

Sadly, there is little or no warning signs when the are going to break. Kinds like a light bulb going bad. It works...then doesn't.

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
That boot is from the same era and honestly I wouldn't trust them.

p93s_nordica_broken_ski_boot.jpg

Sadly, there is little or no warning signs when the are going to break. Kinds like a light bulb going bad. It works...then doesn't.

WHOAH!
For sure I am not riding those now.
Thanks for heads up!

I think I will go "ski shopping" tomorrow.

Any not overly expensive brand you guys would recommend for a beginner?
For skis and for the boots

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sidebar: this is a frustrating example of what I see a lot of on Craigslist, etc. Folks who paid a couple hundred dollars for something 20-30 years ago think it's still worth that all these years later. I sold a few things via CL this summer, and, looking at the ads, I was often stunned by how much folks thought their old bikes, tennis racquets, skis, Nordic Traks, or even desktop computers were worth. The frustrating part is that too many naifs believe the price must be justified, and with Covid scarcity in force, were willing to pay.
That equipment is the ski equivalent of a 1980's Plymouth Volare.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WHOAH!
Thanks for heads up!

Will your first skiing be in Tahoe or will it be more local by you? Boots first. Invest in them with a good fitter and they will last you a couple of seasons. Unfortunately, they are not a purchase to be made online, you need to go into a ski shop...not a sporting goods store.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
WHOAH!
Thanks for heads up!

Any ski from the last model year or two, 75-85mm underfoot, and about chin to nose height will work great for you as a developing skier.

Find a boot fitter that's recommended from here, and/or ask who fits the patrollers, ski instructors, and racers from your preferred skiing venue.

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Sidebar: this is a frustrating example of what I see a lot of on Craigslist, etc. Folks who paid a couple hundred dollars for something 20-30 years ago think it's still worth that all these years later. I sold a few things via CL this summer, and, looking at the ads, I was often stunned by how much folks thought their old bikes, tennis racquets, skis, Nordic Traks, or even desktop computers were worth. The frustrating part is that too many naifs believe the price must be justified, and with Covid scarcity in force, were willing to pay.
That equipment is the ski equivalent of a 1960's Plymouth station wagon.

Hahaha! Right on point!
I really felt like I was getting a really good starter deal so I can practice skiing in Alpine Valley WI for a few weekends and after buy a proper equipment for my trip to Lake Tahoe.

Lesson learned, and I guess I will have those stored for another 50 years to sell them for a million later as a vintage lol

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Will your first skiing be in Tahoe or will it be more local by you? Boots first. Invest in them with a good fitter and they will last you a couple of seasons. Unfortunately, they are not a purchase to be made online, you need to go into a ski shop...not a sporting goods store.

I went to Alpine Valley few times so I feel comfortable on the skis already (not falling, turning and stopping).
Planning on going there another 5-6 times before we go to Lake Tahoe (that is already booked for the end of February)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went to Alpine Valley few times so I feel comfortable on the skis already (not falling, turning and stopping).
Planning on going there another 5-6 times before we go to Lake Tahoe (that is already booked for the end of February)
Where in Tahoe are you going, North lake or South?

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Where in Tahoe are you going, North lake or South?

South

Sierra for 3 days and after Heavenly for another 3 days

Friends from your town Reno picking us up from the airport and then 1 week adventure haha

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Not that it matters anyway at this point if your getting new gear but FWIW pretty sure those are ladies skis.

I skied the Rossi VC2 198 in jr high/high school. I remember the “C” meaning something about carbon, so thinking the L was the women’s model. I was going through the “upstairs ski closet that time forgot” at the family condo while I was back in PA just a few weeks ago and sure enough they were still in there!! I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away.

I’m going to date stamp them as 93-94 season..

Google photo of the ones I skied
20738D6C-DB7A-4903-AF1B-14690271C679.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January