• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question about second hand skis.

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
If you want, we can refer you to a good bootfitter when you come out here.

Can you refer me to someone in Chicago or suburbs by any chance?
Would like to get new gear and test it locally before going there + I know how seasonal shops may work :D The prices are premium there

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Not that it matters anyway at this point if your getting new gear but FWIW pretty sure those are ladies skis.

I skied the Rossi VC2 198 in jr high/high school. I remember the “C” meaning something about carbon, so thinking the L was the women’s model. I was going through the “upstairs ski closet that time forgot” at the family condo while I was back in PA just a few weeks ago and sure enough they were still in there!! I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away.

I’m going to date stamp them as 93-94 season..

Google photo of the ones I skied View attachment 122069

Hahaha
My luck is 101 today then :)

I can't find any info about those skis at all anywhere. Would read stuff just out of curiosity.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I think the rossignol smash ski is a great ski for a first ski. It is 91/92 at waist for some float to venture into the trees, not a lot of shape to learn putting a ski on edge skiing groomers. Solid beginner/intermediate ski you can use all over the mountain building confidence.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you refer me to someone in Chicago or suburbs by any chance?
Would like to get new gear and test it locally before going there + I know how seasonal shops may work :D The prices are premium there
Caveat: I lived in the Chicago area for 40+ years but have been in CO for the past 9 years. In the Chicago area Viking Ski Shop is the best known and probably oldest, most experienced shop. I never got my boots there since they have a 2 year fit guarantee. If you ski only a handful of days a year, after 2 years you might still be working out the kinks with your boots and I didn’t like that after 2 years you might have to pay for additional boot work. I’ve gotten boots from King Keyser in Hinsdale although that was probably 25 year ago. They’re a small, family owned shop that provided me with very good customer service. I’ve used to have my skis tuned at Williams Ski and Patio in Highland Park. They used to have a really good selection of equipment but I don’t have any experience with their boot fitting services. There many be more good boot fitters in Chicago and hopefully other Chi-town or Midwest Pugskiers, err SkiTalkers will reply (paging @vindibona1 and @Dwight). Expect to pay pretty close to full retail for good boot fitting and expect to be at the shop for a couple of hours. If there’s a boot on sale that fits well you might be able to save some money. However, fit should be the deciding factor and not cost. Consider getting a custom foot bed/insole as well especially if you have anything funky with your feet or legs or stance or balance. If you haven’t read this thread, you should: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/quick-and-dirty-boot-selection-guide.16132/. As has been said many times in the past, date your skis, marry your boots.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Viking is in Chicago area. I have no experience with them.

Pierce Skate and Ski in Twin Cities, is probably the best race type fitting of boots.

TS
D

dinz93

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all!

planning on going to Viking shop today to hopefully get everything I need

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@dinz Make sure you have a reservation and since you don’t have a boot fitter’s name, request their senior boot filter if he or she is available. Bring your ski socks (ideally very thin) with you and a pair of shorts. If you don’t have thin ski socks buy them while you’re at the shop. Happy boot shopping.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did you buy some boots and get fitted at Viking? What boot did you go with?
Did you buy skis as well?
I'm from Rockford originally, now living in the Pacific NorthWest.
Slemers

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I made same mistake as OP about 12 years ago then found Phil/Tricia and Epicski and got educated. Now I have five pairs of skis and two pairs of boots haha.