• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question for the fabric nerds

Blacklab

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’ve got an old Mamot soft shell that I’ve been using for winter yard work like it’s Carhartt. Thing is pretty indestructible. Stacking wood, clearing brush, shoveling dirt and snow, carpentry work, nothing has put so much as a snag in it. Problem is the zipper is now shot. I found out it is made of Schoeller WB-400 fabric. I cant seem to find this in any current jackets. Anyone know where I can or if it has been phased out for something new and improved?

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Shame there aren't any alteration/seamstress/tailor shops around you to just replace the zip...
As Mammut is Swiss like Schoeller you may want to head over to their website for a browse as they very probably still use a lot of Schoeller fabrics..

But Schoeller's website may help - if you click on the WB-400 and look at the bottom you'll see some keywords the OEMs may use to describe the fabric... I know Kjus have used Schoeller fabrics

Otherwise you may ned up having to trawl through clothing sites searching for Schoeller etc

This one looks good in a non-skier kind of way

or a hooded

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve got an old Mamot soft shell that I’ve been using for winter yard work like it’s Carhartt. Thing is pretty indestructible. Stacking wood, clearing brush, shoveling dirt and snow, carpentry work, nothing has put so much as a snag in it. Problem is the zipper is now shot. I found out it is made of Schoeller WB-400 fabric. I cant seem to find this in any current jackets. Anyone know where I can or if it has been phased out for something new and improved?
Marmot or Mammut? those are different companies. (Assuming Mammut since that's part of their line.)

You should be able to find a seamstress or repair shop (try dry cleaners).

Otherwise you can probably do a search on Ebay for a used replacement if that's an option to you. Search by Mammut and Salomon. Both used it. Insert WB-400 into your search. Also, once you identify the jackets on Ebay, research without WB-400 since a lot of sellers don't list material as part of the listing even though the jacket probably has it.

TS
B

Blacklab

Skier
Marmot or Mammut? those are different companies.

Whoops, I meant to type "Marmot" (accidentally dropped the "r"). It's an old jacket, maybe even 15 years old. Thing keeps going though. Ended up finding a place to replace the zipper.

Ryan Perham

Putting on skis
Skier
That's a material that never really took off. I'm guessing the raw material cost is on the high side.

There are some jackets with similar materials.

North Face Apex Bionic is a little burlier but not as breathable. Otherwise similar characteristics.

Patagonia R1 tech face and Outdoor Research Ferrosi Grid won't be as weather-resistant, but similar warmth and stretchiness and even better breathabilty. I have an uninsulated Ferrosi and it's very abrasion-resistant. It was meant for rock climbing.

TS
B

Blacklab

Skier
The Paty tech face isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'll check out the Bionic and the Ferrosi for the fun of it, but I'm hoping I'm good for another 15 years with the zipper repair.
For those interested, I did find a couple of off brands that use the material. Some gawdawful $1000 German number (https://acrnm.com/products/J90-SS_FW2122) and something called a Hindu-koh (https://www.hindu-koh.com/en/product/technical-jacket-soft-shell/). Since I got mine for like $30 on Steep n Cheap, I'll leave these to some other wb-400 lover.

Sponsor

Staff online