• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question on Norrona bib

Dudeabides

Booting up
Skier
So after hundreds of days in my beloved Trewth bib, it's time to retire them and I'm considering the Norrona Tamok bib as a replacement. Can anyone comment on the durability of the pant cuff reinforcement? I ski with my skis too close together and tend to shred my pants... the Trewth reinforcement there is burly af, and if that can't be confirmed with the Norrona I might just stick with Trew... the main issue I have with my old trew bib is the fit wasn't just right and I think the Tamok would be better.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, I'd say go with the Norrona, if it fits better. Durabilty might be sufficient, might not, but you can always add another cuff patch easily enough. Poor fit is annoying every minute you are out there.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I've worn TREWth bibs for about 10 years. I have two pairs. The older ones c.2010 are very "roomy" compared to the ones I bought in 2018, both are mediums. If yours are older, you should try the newer ones on, they have a more conventional fit but are not constricting.

The chest area of the Norrona bibs looks like it rides kind of below the chest, not sure I'd like that.

I've been thinking of trying the Flylow Baker Bib, it looks more up my alley but I haven't tried a pair on.

TS
Dudeabides

Dudeabides

Booting up
Skier
The Trewth I have seems to have a particularly billowy midsection that I don't love- I think mine are 2016, so maybe they addressed that... I'll get in touch with them and ask. If the fit were a little better there would be no question as in all other ways the bib is spectacular.

Unfortunately there aren't any Norrona dealers around me I'm aware of so I haven't been able to try one on, so my assumption that it will fit better is mostly from looking at the specs/hunch. The Baker is also a strong option and fits well but the oh-so-important cuff reinforcement seems less durable than the trewth.

Edit: I spoke with someone at Trew and it turns out they have indeed updated the bib in ways I was hoping for, so it looks like I'm back in the trews :)

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dudeabides I would say, try on all contenders. Fit and comfort is so important in a ski pant, since you will (most likely) be wering it almost all the time. The only way to know what fits well is to try them on.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a Norrona fan-boy. Norrona is very slim fit across the waist. I've had/have 2 sets of medium Lofoten Bibs over the last 5 years. I'm a 32 waist and have trouble keeping the snaps from popping with a mid-layer on. I've removed the bib portion and wear then as a pant instead. They are burly and a bit heavy because A) they are burly and B) have lots of useful pockets. I also have some older Arcteryx Theta SV bibs, which are very lightweight and feels like I'm wearing nothing, but they have very limited pockets / storage.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
I have bought and received the Tamok, size 'M' last week. So I can say anything useful about durability in general or more specific, the 'sliceproofness' of the cuffs. However I can say something about feel and the fit. I have a 32"/32" jeans size. The waist is thanks to Corona and ankle-injury nowadays more a 33" (hopefully temporarily) and 32" inseam is relatively short. I'am about 5'11 and 190lbs to give you an idea.
The Tamok in 'M' fits nicely. It's not a technical fit nor a baggy one. I've tried it on with a shirt and thick cardigan. The legs are a tad long for me but in skiboots it will be good. Also, around the legs is enough room and my thighs have a circumference of about 30".
Perhaps this helps in terms of fit.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Trew changed their warranty recently. It went from good to pretty weak. It is now 3 years and only good if you buy direct at full price.

Sponsor

Staff online