• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Question: Re: BD toe shim for Dynafit TLT Radical FT 2.0

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have been working with a fitter on my fore aft and while my AT boot set up is actually "good" as many know the delta of the pin bindings can be quite high.
I currently run the 2018 Dynafit TLT Radical FT 2.0 and would like to get the the delta difference between toe and heel down to about 2-3mm per fitters recommendation.
Specks say the difference in toe/heel hight for this binding is anywhere from 13 to15mm difference. I measured what I thought was the difference when my boot was in in the binding and got 8mm difference. But I'm not an engineer and I need to find DH's calipers.... or at least a better ruler and understand exactly where I should be measuring.

Questions:

1. Is there a proper way to measure the toe / heel hight with the boot in the pin bindings so I make sure that I am understanding the true difference in heel/ toe height?
I realize there is a measured difference but that Doesn't necessarily take into consideration where the boot is actually sitting when in the binding.

2. BD makes shims (yeah!) for the these bindings and I have several options. I am assuming that I can play around with different thickness shims (6.4 / 4.7 / 3.2mm) before screwing them in but just thinking down the line..........how many times can I put another screw in the binding hole?

Skimo has these in stock along with the proper screws

Thanks!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pin height delta is not sole height delta.

But, it’s easy to figure out what you like:
  1. put skis on level floor
  2. click into the bindings wearing your boots
  3. flex and extend like you would skiing
repeat, but now with various thicknesses shims (wood, plastic anything) underneath your ski under the toe.
Then buy whichever shim (or none) thickness feels best to you. Where you don’t feel out of balance, or like you need to use a lot of strength to hold yourself up or down.

Or, get a talking Clinometer app (good for slope measurements too) an set up both your AT and resort gear, boots clicked in skis, measure boot sole angle inside the boot. Then shim your AT to match your resort set up.

TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Slim I just tried this experiment and the 6.4 shim I ordered seems like it will help a lot -- not at the final place where I need to be but a huge step in the right direction. I have Clinometer app (I'll have to check if it's 'talking') but Alpine boots are a work in progress so nothing to compare. AT boots actually set up more correctly for "me" it's just the binding delta that's coming into play.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid