• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question re: Head Raptor 140RS Booster strap

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
So I've been skiing the Head Raptor for about 5 years now. It's my favorite boot. I love this boot so much that I purchased it again this year, even though I don't need a new set yet. I just don't want to take the chance that Head screws these boots up with the new iteration. So... my question is this: when I use the booster strap, does the bottom part go inside the shell and over the tongue, with the top velcro over the boots? Or does the whole thing go over the shell? I've never figured out what is the correct way, but I've always done version A. Thoughts?

Bill

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I've been skiing the Head Raptor for about 5 years now. It's my favorite boot. I love this boot so much that I purchased it again this year, even though I don't need a new set yet. I just don't want to take the chance that Head screws these boots up with the new iteration. So... my question is this: when I use the booster strap, does the bottom part go inside the shell and over the tongue, with the top velcro over the boots? Or does the whole thing go over the shell? I've never figured out what is the correct way, but I've always done version A. Thoughts?

Bill
I've always done it over the shell. There isn't enough drop on the side of the shell to tuck it under the shell. Red goes through black or grey/silver then strap through that and back to velcro.
20210124_132046.jpg

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks. It's always interesting to get other people's perspective on how they do things.

Bill

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. It's always interesting to get other people's perspective on how they do things.

Bill
You're welcome. I tried it under the shell but it A) didn't fit and B) wouldn't stay if I managed to get it under there. I know some boots allow the option, though.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I owned these boots, and Andy has it right.

GREAT boots. The only reason I moved on was difficulty getting my old, apparently slightly brittle, ankle tendons out of them in the parking lot on cold days.

The booster straps are now happily residing on my Lange RX 130s.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Yeah. I LOVE these boots.
I've been skiing them the past 21days and I really like the shell, still working on the liner. As @Tom K. mentioned removing when cold can be a struggle! Curious how much Liquid Fit you had pumped into your liners? I'm upto around 5-6 cartridges between both feet.

-Chris

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you
I've been skiing them the past 21days and I really like the shell, still working on the liner. As @Tom K. mentioned removing when cold can be a struggle! Curious how much Liquid Fit you had pumped into your liners? I'm upto around 5-6 cartridges between both feet.

-Chris

If you need that much liquid fit juice, the wcr might have been a better choice.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm upto around 5-6 cartridges between both feet.
Mine are pre-goo but that sounds like a lot. I'm a little familiar with the process as my wife has Head boots with that process but hasn't needed to use it. @Philpug, have you squeezed that much in any Raptors?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mine are pre-goo but that sounds like a lot. I'm a little familiar with the process as my wife has Head boots with that process but hasn't needed to use it. @Philpug, have you squeezed that much in any Raptors?
Not more than one cartridge, but I only did one pair of Raptors.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I go under the shell.
How do you do that? Did you trim the cuff down? Mine would be going up from the back to get over the cuff. I couldn't get it to stay like that.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
If you need that much liquid fit juice, the wcr might have been a better choice.

I assume the wcr is a narrower last? That may have been possible with even more punching and grinding than I've already had done. It's my darn ankles, specifically my right. It's a sloppy sob. But that same foot I broke, in a ski boot, a number of years ago which creates some other issues. I can barely fit my toes into the toe box(height issues) as it is, might have to take those ribs in front of the bootboard down abit.

-Chris

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I ski mine with a Zip Fit Freeride. Perfect fit for me.

Bill

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
might have to take those ribs in front of the bootboard down abit.
I sanded the boards down some and punched the toe at the big toe upward a bit, then stretched the liner to fit the new room along with a few other stretches. Boots are super comfy but I swear you could make ice cubes in there.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
True that about temperature! About 10 degrees today(at summit), my boot gloves bought me about 3 hours before I needed to warm up.
Boot gloves are a must when it gets much below 20. Boot heaters when below 35.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I assume the wcr is a narrower last? That may have been possible with even more punching and grinding than I've already had done. It's my darn ankles, specifically my right. It's a sloppy sob. But that same foot I broke, in a ski boot, a number of years ago which creates some other issues. I can barely fit my toes into the toe box(height issues) as it is, might have to take those ribs in front of the bootboard down abit.

-Chris

The wcr has a much bigger toe box than the RS and B raptors, and much less heel volume. I have pretty narrow heels and still had to grind a good bit, then the usual navicular, styloid stuff for my feet. They do ski differently than the RS's and B's, but are still amazing shoes.

Sponsor

Staff online