• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question re: Head Raptor 140RS Booster strap

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How do you do that? Did you trim the cuff down? Mine would be going up from the back to get over the cuff. I couldn't get it to stay like that.

For many years the Head Raptor boots had a line embossed on the plastic (on the interior side) that said something like "trim here". You can use a pair of utility scissors to easily remove about 1/4" of the front cuff height. When you do that, it makes enough room to use the Double Power Booster directly against the liner tongue and without having to mess with getting it under the shell. That's how I setup almost all of my Raptors. I much preferred the feel of having the elasticized Booster connecting my lower leg movements to the rear spine of the boot.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For many years the Head Raptor boots had a line embossed on the plastic (on the interior side) that said something like "trim here". You can use a pair of utility scissors to easily remove about 1/4" of the front cuff height. When you do that, it makes enough room to use the Double Power Booster directly against the liner tongue and without having to mess with getting it under the shell. That's how I setup almost all of my Raptors. I much preferred the feel of having the elasticized Booster connecting my lower leg movements to the rear spine of the boot.

#metoo

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Thx. I think I'm going to try it. I have all 3 bolts in the back of the boot, so if it softens it a bit, I don't think I'll notice it.

Bill

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Thx. I think I'm going to try it. I have all 3 bolts in the back of the boot, so if it softens it a bit, I don't think I'll notice it.

Bill
Please post up some pics when you've done it. I see the marks on the cuff, interested in seeing how the booster strap lays in there after cutting.

-Chris

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Will do. I might try and tackle that project Sunday night. We've been renting a house next to our local mountain every year for the past 3 years since my kid started racing, so I'll be skiing from 4pm today through about 4pm on Sunday. Makes for loooooooong but fun weekends (and tiring, too!).

Bill

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have to hand it to you guys...not sure I would have the stones to cut into my good pair of boots. :)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The things I do for the Internet... ;)

20210129_234212374_iOS (2).jpg

20210129_234242582_iOS (2).jpg

20210129_234322691_iOS (2).jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I was just sitting here futzing on the computer and my Fischer boots that I skied today are sitting across the room from me. I just happened to notice that the Fischer's cuff tops are identical to the modified Head Raptors. So this really isn't a strange thing to do since other boot manufacturers already effectively "remove" that upper part of the front cuff.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I trimmed the front if the cuff and still wasn't happy with the way the strap sat so...
20210201_135226.jpg
20210201_141525.jpg

20210201_152943.jpg
20210201_142014.jpg

I'll ski them tomorrow and see if I like it. If not, I'll pit them back where they were.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Necessity is the mother of invention... :)
If it works maybe Head will consider putting the optional holes in to begin with. If it works...

Sponsor

Staff online