• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quick Kid’s Boot Question

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it time to step up to a taller 4 buckle boot?
B5F62A25-4FCF-4E12-9D16-0824A20BF49D.jpeg

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Maybe then again maybe not. Really depends on how advanced a skier your child is and how well the boots fit. With my kids when they were starting out it was all about comfort. If there boots hurt their feet they wouldn't ski and we would have a very short day at the hill. As my kids became more advanced skiers we started getting their boots custom fitted by a boot fitter so they had both comfort and performance. Depending on the boots design there are some great higher performance boots with only three buckles, so I would not worry about the number of buckles but rather the boot fit and performance, does that make sense? If you do indeed decide to upgrade boots I would strongly recommend finding a good boot fitter and working with them. In some shops they will offer complimentary fit checks on used boots and can make some modifications to dial in the perfect fit. Trust me the one area I do not try to cut corners on and save a few bucks is boot fitting as a great fitting pair of boots makes all the difference in the world regardless of you skiing ability.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
probably need a bit more data like height weight age etc, but looking at the relationship between the cuff and the leg length i would say quite probably, just because it has 4 buckles doesnt mean it has to be a whole load stiffer, just a little taller

dovski

Skier
probably need a bit more data like height weight age etc, but looking at the relationship between the cuff and the leg length i would say quite probably, just because it has 4 buckles doesnt mean it has to be a whole load stiffer, just a little taller
There are actually some really stiff three buckle boots out there, even some two buckle. So unless you are looking for a true racing boot which will have four buckles there are a lot of options, the real concern is finding something that is a good fit with the right stiffness ... etc. I am not a boot fitter and have know clue as to what kind of skier we are talking about, so will not make an assumptions based on the picture. Strongly recommend you visit a boot fitter who can assess, recommend and fit a boot based on comfort and performance needs for the individual skier. Boots are probably the most important piece of equipment in my mind and if the boot does not fit or feel good on the foot it will impact all aspects of your skiing regardless of skill.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
He’s 10 and I’m guesstimating he’s about 50”
Talk and 75 lbs. he’s a solid intermediate skier but will try just about anything once.

dovski

Skier
So the Salomon Team T3 is a soft intermediate boot, the real question is how does it fit, too big, too small ... etc. Can he ski all day without an foot pain? Is his skiing progressing (i.e. is he linking parallel turns or still rocking a snow plow). Is he an aggressive skier ... etc. There a ton of different factors to consider ... but at the end of the day if he enjoys skiing, and the boots are the right fit and comfortable you are good to go, but this is where a boot fitter can help you find the right boot, ensure the right fit and with that the comfort and performance. Nothing wring with a three buckle short cuff boot with a soft flex if it is the right fit and supports your style of skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online