• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quick little weight transfers: what to work on?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We used to trail run and run some dry stream beds. That was really good agility training. Stopped doing that a long time ago.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Well, the warnings certainly are inauspicious.

B8E82D90-A376-4E1D-90E4-CAC711E8DA6D.jpeg

50E12756-E95A-4265-A386-6D2F81555DAD.jpeg

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Yeah, the above comedic bit is from the earlier conversation in this thread--a "callback" as it were :)

Even really low effort things like standing on one foot in the shower or while brushing your teeth can add up over time. Bonus is that if people think you are crazy doing these things, you will have fewer schedule conflicts for going skiing :cool:

Uhhhhhh, I'd try this on dry land - with nothing on either side of you to fall on.
Just a suggestion.

I had hoped to balance board in the shower eventually

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Day 3 of bongo boarding: improvement! 1st day (Friday) was pretty shaky, was on shag carpet (with helmet, I make my living with my brain) and still didn't dare get very far away from balusters of railing. 2nd day a fair amount better; some sort of proprioceptive rewiring occurred overnight. This morning was even better--dared to put it in the middle of the room and just balance for 10-12 minutes. Stabilizers tire out quickly. Should have taken some video :)

Still some time away from putting it on something completely flat and smooth, but I have a good mat that I can put over carpet which is yet another intermediate step before "concrete".

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'll take balance, range of motion and agility over brute strength any day. Of course, strength training is beneficial if you already have it all dialed in but you have to get there first. Where I ski there's a few, quite elderly, "little old ladies" that I've noticed over the years who ski past me and disappear stylishly into the trees with a a wisp of the wind. I doubt they are notable at the gym but I would be happy to ski that well.

My theory is that a good weight program, especially for older adults, can have many collateral benefits for your life but aren't going to keep you from sucking at skiing.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I think I have demonstrated that a good weight program, in a-getting-older-adult, has not kept me from sucking at skiing. Good news is the collateral benefits are real! (I started my weight program some years ago after seeing how burnt out my quads were from 3 days of skiing. Would have been nice to have a visitor from the future tell me that was 98% from defensive skiing).

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I'll take balance, range of motion and agility over brute strength any day.
And-- ¿porque no los dos?

[to suck less, the real thing that is missing, actually, is probably like $10K worth of lessons over an extended period next season...]

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
My theory is that a good weight program, especially for older adults, can have many collateral benefits for your life but aren't going to keep you from sucking at skiing.
QFT
I worked out with a trainer last summer, mostly free weights and stretching. What I found this winter was that my balance improved because I could recover from out-of-balance more easily. Also, when I did fall I never hurt myself. For the first time in years my back didn't spasm from a ski fall.

Dry land ski specific training is unnecessary, or even harmful if it distracts you from core strength and flexibilty training.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
[to suck less, the real thing that is missing, actually, is probably like $10K worth of lessons over an extended period next season...]
There's some truth to that. I worked as an instructor and race coach for 19 years and trained with some of the best coaches in the country, and now I suck a lot less than I did before.

dm

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
QFT
I worked out with a trainer last summer, mostly free weights and stretching. What I found this winter was that my balance improved because I could recover from out-of-balance more easily. Also, when I did fall I never hurt myself. For the first time in years my back didn't spasm from a ski fall.

Dry land ski specific training is unnecessary, or even harmful if it distracts you from core strength and flexibilty training.

dm
I have found that I saved at least 2 falls, and turned a third one into a little fall up the hill rather than a wreck, with brute strength that I didn't previously have.

My balance IS trash tho, and so is my RoM/flexibility. So I have given up a 10,000 steps-for-seven-years (yes, every day, yes, 2500 days in a row) streak to stop wasting that time on pacing around collecting the last 3-4000 steps and instead stretching and working on balance.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I have found that I saved at least 2 falls, and turned a third one into a little fall up the hill rather than a wreck, with brute strength that I didn't previously have.
That was my experience as well. But I don't think I have brute strength, unless that means just enough strength to maintain core stability.

dm

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Day 10: 10 minutes a day, 100 minutes total on the bongo board. Gone from unstable weebling on the carpet to pretty comfortable TV watching with large shifts left to right, rarely touch down an end on the ground, getting better at not even hitting the rail stop at the end, and when I do, being able to save it without a touch-down lots of the time.

Soon will move to the mat over carpet and see how the quicker-surface-than-carpet reacts, and then try a workout or two :)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
There's some truth to that. I worked as an instructor and race coach for 19 years and trained with some of the best coaches in the country, and now I suck a lot less than I did before.

dm
Highlight of my 50-year teaching career was the many hours I was able to spend with the wonderful trainer crew at Breckenridge. Maybe 60 hours a season for about a dozen years made huge improvement in my skiing.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
so only 12 years at 60 hours a season with an amazing training crew, as part of a half a century dedication to skiing and teaching skiing. Sounds attainable for me.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
so only 12 years at 60 hours a season with an amazing training crew, as part of a half a century dedication to skiing and teaching skiing. Sounds attainable for me.
Oh... so you're one of "those" people that just looks for the easy way out or the shortcut. :nono:

:ogbiggrin:

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Oh... so you're one of "those" people that just looks for the easy way out or the shortcut. :nono:

:ogbiggrin:
Where did you get that idea? I just *said* it sounded attainable!

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pilates, once or twice a week, mat and reformer, has made a huge difference in confidence and competence for me. Principles involve stabilization and strengthening of core while lengthening and strengthening extremities, all while in excellent alignment. I started it 1 year ago at age 62. Bonus side effect: gained back 1/2” of lost height!

Sponsor

Staff online