• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quick review: Arc'teryx Atom LT men's pants as mid layer

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It didn't take long after I saw this:

For AK winter and avy courses, I wear arc atom pants under a shell. I folded them up for a while, then finally took them to a specialty tailor and had them made into puffy-capris. Pretty luxurious.

For me to pull the trigger and buy a pair for myself. There is no women's version. Fortunately, I can wear men's pants.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&model=Atom-LT-Pant

I have worn them under my Arc'teryx Sentinel (shell) pants for several ski days now. I really, really like them. They don't add much bulk, and the elastic is pretty relaxed, so it doesn't pressure my belly. I am still trying to figure out exactly how much warmth they provide - certainly warmer than other mid layers I've used, but not as warm as my insulated Armada ski pants, which are quilted and crazy warm.

I really like the elasticized waistband with no fly. For those who do want a fly, check out the Patagonia offering ... I found it fit a little differently / tighter. My husband liked the Patagonia fit better, but had to go up a size. The Patagonia also has a different, tougher material for the butt and back of the thighs - places where I specifically need the insulation for warmth. I would say the Patagonia fits more like a pair of jeans, while the Arc'teryx fits more like a pair of sweatpants. The Arc'teryx also has full-length zips from bottom to top - you can't fully unzip - which makes it easy to fit them over ski boots. I'm not sure why you'd want to unzip all the way up without taking them off - maybe for venting if it's worn as an outer layer.

Fit:
Fits true to size - I can usually wear a men's large, and these fit me similarly. The length seems about right (obvs I'm shorter than the intended wearer, but they seem about right for the size).

Who they're for:
People looking for a little more insulation between base layer and shell
People who can wear men's sizes

Who they're not for:
People who can't wear men's gear due to size or cut

Unexpected bonus:
Because these are windproof and designed as an outer layer, they are fantastic for post-skiing errands and the dog park. I can shimmy out of my shell pants and be ready to go. Stylish? No. Warm and comfortable? Yes. I wore them at the dog park this afternoon while the snow was coming down, and my legs were warm the whole time. For practicality, I like these better than my puffy skirt.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My pants - a DNA model I don't think they make anymore, and I keep forgetting the name -- have a nearly full length zipper that opens from either end. I find it very useful for maximum venting under high-heat conditions like hiking.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My pants - a DNA model I don't think they make anymore, and I keep forgetting the name -- have a nearly full length zipper that opens from either end. I find it very useful for maximum venting under high-heat conditions like hiking.

Yeah, I can see that, although it seems like it would be weird to have the full length of the pants flapping around your legs if they were fully unzipped.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the point of a zipper that can go from the top or the bottom. I just unzip about 1 foot of it on the upper leg.
From the bottom it fully detaches, but from the top you can only go till the two zipper pulls meet. The top zipper does not go all the way to the waistband, it stops about level with the pockets.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's the point of a zipper that can go from the top or the bottom. I just unzip about 1 foot of it on the upper leg.
From the bottom it fully detaches, but from the top you can only go till the two zipper pulls meet. The top zipper does not go all the way to the waistband, it stops about level with the pockets.

Ah. Got it.

Now that I look more closely, I think these pants actually could separate completely. Excellent for those ski gear strip club moments.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a pair that did that before these. Not all that useful a feature.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
It's quite useful to be able to add/remove layers without taking off boots/skis.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's quite useful to be able to add/remove layers without taking off boots/skis.
I can't picture how that would work, other than taking the pants themseves off. But it does make me realize it would be great for a racer to wear over a racesuit and remove the windpants at the start house.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that I look more closely, I think these pants actually could separate completely. Excellent for those ski gear strip club moments.
I had a pair that did that before these. Not all that useful a feature.
I find it very useful when I have to drop the kids off at the pool.

Dan Boisvert

Booting up
Skier
I also have the Atom LT pants, and use them as an insulation layer when it's cold. The side zippers do fully separate, which is great for putting them on or taking them off while wearing my shell pants, in case I totally mess up my layering system for the day. I also like that feature for touring, where they typically live in my pack, in case something happens and I have to be stationary for a while. I'm a little nervous about how durable these will be, since I managed to kill the insulation in my Atom LT jacket in about 5 years, but I don't wear these remotely as often as I did the jacket, so I'm hopeful they'll last me a while.

Sponsor

Staff online