• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quiver Help

Skiyoulater77

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
6-3 215 physically strong skiier Love to get after it, ski steeps, enjoy pushing myself.
If there’s less snow I like to blast groomers, slash and play. Rarely venture into the park aside from end of season jump lines, but am trying to get more comfortable in the air and enjoy a good side hit.

Have been skiing a qst106 2020 in 188 and have loved it, enjoyed its accessibility and surfyness - but still able to power around on groomers when it’s not worth going elsewhere. I picked up a pair of blanks in the 190s this year and love them too, enjoy the stability and playfulness, feel like I can ski anything on them.

Sadly the 106s have taken their final core shot and blown an edge, so now looking to fill out the quiver. Would do a direct replacement but feel I get a lot of the 106 benefits with the blank so thinking of diversifying and going a touch narrower and getting something a little different for the days when there’s been no snow.

Currently considering:
Ranger 102 (demoed and enjoyed the 102FRs but went qst) 190
DPS Koala 103 189
Mantra 102 191
Also have a deal on a set of gen1 mantra 102s in 184 that looks tempting too but not too keen to go shorter than a 188

reluctant to buy skis without trying so hoping to benefit from the hive mind and help me find a low snow focused qst106 replacement to fill out the quiver of 3 (will be grabbing a touring specific ski too - any recos on something similar to the 106 also welcome!)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you want something that will have that Salomon feel?
Perhaps the Ranger 102 is your best option of that list. The Mantra 102 has a completely different feel.
Have you also considered staying with the Salmon brand and get a Stance even a bit narrower for those lean snow times?

Reactions: BMC

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huge vacancy in the <100 slot. Many here would suggest an 80-90ish ski for no-new snow/groomers. They could be a revelation.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If you really want to get on and improve your skiing, and if you really want a supercar like driving experience on hard snow…. FIS slalom ski.

You may find that when you really learn how to drive a carving ski, powder will just be an inconvenience to you.

Going “a touch narrower”, all things being equal in construction (and they rarely are), buys you nothing.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Mantra 102 191

My favorite everyday ski, but durability of the ti laminate(all of my recent mantras) was no bueno. I found them to be playful but able to bust crud and carve pretty decently. Im 6’3” 190’ish, no way id go shorter than the 191 in that ski.

TS
S

Skiyoulater77

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Appreciate all the responses so far! Re: <80 carvers, I do have a set of Fischer pro mtn 80s that I learnt to ski on kicking around in the garage - so should probably have mentioned that slot isn’t open. Don’t really want to get into the philosophical question of narrow vs. wide and so on, I’m 33 I like skiing wider skis, they are very fun. I understand the technical limitations of said wide skis vs. narrow skis, I also do not care, they are very fun!

I do really enjoy the Salomon feel - just in from a morning on the blanks that reinforces that thought. I think I’m just looking for a little quicker edge to edge feel and maybe a bit little more powerful tail (a la my old 106s).

Think I’d be really happy with the rangers, but all the love for the mantras has really turned my head. Can anyone speak to that different “feel” - Do they need to be skiied at speed on edge, or can you release the tails and slash around as required in tighter stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Appreciate all the responses so far! Re: <80 carvers, I do have a set of Fischer pro mtn 80s that I learnt to ski on kicking around in the garage - so should probably have mentioned that slot isn’t open. Don’t really want to get into the philosophical question of narrow vs. wide and so on, I’m 33 I like skiing wider skis, they are very fun. I understand the technical limitations of said wide skis vs. narrow skis, I also do not care, they are very fun!

I do really enjoy the Salomon feel - just in from a morning on the blanks that reinforces that thought. I think I’m just looking for a little quicker edge to edge feel and maybe a bit little more powerful tail (a la my old 106s).

Think I’d be really happy with the rangers, but all the love for the mantras has really turned my head. Can anyone speak to that different “feel” - Do they need to be skiied at speed on edge, or can you release the tails and slash around as required in tighter stuff?
I think of the skis you’ve listed for the use case of something to replace the Salomon 106 which has a similar feel but a bit narrower, the Fischer 102 is the clear standout pick.

Indeed iI was to ponder the list of skis that are generally available I doubt I’d find one that is a better match for your stated needs.

I don’t think the Stance 102 would be the best pick, even though it’s a Salomon and is narrower than the 102, but close. On first blush it may look appealing, but I’d counsel against it. That’s because by all accounts it’s a precise, demanding ski, and won’t feel at all like your 106. I have experience on the prior QLab, which I gather skis close to the new Stance 102, and that ski didn’t ski much at all like the balance of the then QST line, and had a demanding tail, just as the Stance 102 is reputed to do. Having said that, the Stance 102 is by all accounts a just slightly less demanding ski than the Mantra 102, so very similar. You need to consider what “feel” you want out of this ski - Mantra’esque? Stance 102 is right there. A narrower QST 106? The Fischer 102 for sure.

So yes, Ranger 102. Enjoy!!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

From my experience, the Mantras are a little stiffer, and resonated a little more feedback on snow.

The reason the Fischer is somewhere between the Mantra and QST in dampness, closer to the QST.

For my personal taste, I'd go for the 96 instead of the 102 for a better balance.