• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quiver needs another addition - Softer/Wider Ski

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Ken_R
What I lack in height compared to you, I compensate in weight (damn). Thanks for confirming that the Nomad 115 in 191cm would be fine for me.

Reading your post on a large monitor, I noticed the Nocta in the fine print. Did you ski the Icelantic Saba Pro 117? RR just like the Nocta. I am torn between the N115 and the Saba117.

I did not demo the Sabas. That said the Noctas are very different skis than the Icelantics. The Noctas are wider but the tips are narrower so they have a much larger turn radius and the rocker on the noctas is tip to tail but low, most of the ski feels flat and they are stiffer skis. No clue on the Sabas but the Nomad 115's felt so dialed.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I did manage to get a few days in on my deep snow tree skis, 4FRNT Devastators. Unfortunately I had to spend time on groomers with them (skiing with family) and when I got to ski them alone, all by myself, I had boot issues - rental boots really suck BTW.

Still, I think these might be what you're looking for. I'm 145 - 150 lbs and have the middle length,179 cm. At your weight you might want the longest length (of 3), 186 cm. They drift playfully. Drifting turns is something relatively new to me (I'm a carvaholic). I discovered it when I demoed some new rockered skis a couple of years ago (after years of carving hard pack on race skis) and was instantly hooked on the new tech in those conditions, which I didn't see again until I went back for a trip last December. I feel like a miscreant out drifting his car on public roads, like I've been a bad boy - it's a lot of fun. They will also carve when you want them to, very easy to shift back and forth between locked-in-solid carve and sideways skiing. Like any full rocker ski, or rockered ski for that matter, you don't have that constant tip-connection to the snow (hard to connect without touching), and the tips and tails do seem a bit wild at speed, but the centre feels solid and the ski goes where you want it to. I found, you can even ski them backwards for a short while when you get turned around unintentionally in the moguls ;).

BTW if you get the PIVOT 15, you won't be able to lend them to someone with a different boot sole length (requires a remount). I left them out west with my son, but his boots are longer than mine :(, so he can't use them. Too wide for groomers.

I don't know if they are forgiving; they seem forgiving to me but that may be just due to the rocker and width; they do have a fair bit of beef to them. They have less torsion, but they are wider too - so meant for soft snow.
Compared to Mantra...
https://compareskis.shinyapps.io/compare/?_values_&selected_rows=[5061,5062,5318]&tab="Compare"
(wait for site to load fully)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online