• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

R.I.P. Colin Powell

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Folks I did some clean up. Please leave this about condolences and refrain from political/war commentary

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Literally all of these posts are political.

Absolutely. Politics isn't just the stuff you don't like.
I suppose you're right, but the direction it was going was not about Colin Powell, but more about the wars and the tensions surrounding the wars, as well as actions of other political figures and agencies.
IMHO that is where the fine line is difficult to assess.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, unlike Norman Schwarzkopf, who was a soldier's soldier and hated politics. Powell was politician's soldier. You can't separate Powell from politics. He was a great American, but his legacy is ultimately stained by My Lai and Iraq War.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tremendous eulogy yesterday at the memorial services for Colin Powell by his son Michael; full of warmth, emotion, and insight:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Tremendous eulogy yesterday at the memorial services for Colin Powell by his son Michael; full of warmth, emotion, and insight:
This quote is good "A good leader is a good follower."

Gen. Powell tended to do the proud parent/somewhat competitive thing to my mom about children in email, which made me out to a bit of a loser when my mom played along. Sigh/LOL.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This quote is good "A good leader is a good follower."

Gen. Powell tended to do the proud parent/somewhat competitive thing to my mom about children in email, which made me out to a bit of a loser when my mom played along. Sigh/LOL.
I can only imagine! In one part of his eulogy Michael Powell says you can't emulate his dad's resume. It's too formidable for mere mortals, but we can strive to emulate his character and be good people.

PS: I was talking to my adult daughter the other day. She visited State Dept with a student group when she was in high school when Colin Powell was the secretary of state. Secretary Powell dropped in to visit the small group and had a friendly little chat with her and the other students.

Last edited:

Sponsor