• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

R. I. P. Thread

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
I know most on here don't know of him, but Dedrick Willoughby, a ISU basketball player also passed yesterday from a heart attack. He was one of the best players I have seen and one of my favorites. Nothing he could not do, score, shoot defend, bring up the ball, pass etc. one of those rare stat stuffing players. Plus his last year he averaged over 20 ppg on one good leg. In addition an tremendous person who always seemed to have time. Ooh wee boy he was a player.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
10 years ago we lsot Dennis Farina, one of Hollywoods iconic mustaches.

From Big Trouble...
This isn't about rules, it's about manners. Now there's no rule that says that I cant come over here and fart on your entree. But I don't do it. Why? Because it's not good manners. Now I'm asking you please - put out your cigars..

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This year has seen the passing of several musical icons. In addition to the others mentioned in this thread, we've lost Jeff Beck, David Crosby, Wayne Shorter and Gary Rossington.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This year has seen the passing of several musical icons. In addition to the others mentioned in this thread, we've lost Jeff Beck, David Crosby, Wayne Shorter and Gary Rossington.
Thanks for adding Wayne Shorter and Gary Shorter. Jeff Beck and David Crosby are mentioned in other threads. That is why I thought we should have one thread for remembering all those people that have passed.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
When Doug was editor of Skiing Magazine then based in Lakewood, CO I was working in a ski shop in Lakewood. It was the closest shop to the magazine's office so the staff came to the shop for, among other things, binding mountings on skis they received for testing. At the time we used a Marker Scale (basically a wall mounted ruler which showed ski length at the tip and the corresponding position for mounting the toe piece). Doug was the only person I remember who told us where to mount his bindings, no need to use the scale for him. Another memory is that he was a truly nice guy, friendly even to a ski shop employee, and not puffed up by his accomplishments, which were many. After all these years and all of the people I've met, he was by far one of the best.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Doug was one of the people who brought skiing into the modern era in many aspects. If you look in the earlier PSIA manuals his name (and footprint) is all over it.
Few have done more for a sport. He will be missed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The ski insutry lost a legend in Doug Pfeiffer. Doud was with Ski/Skiing Magazine and integral in the freestyle boom of the 1970's.

I first met Doug in 2016 when we attended the hall of fame event in Aspen.
He was one of the honored members, inducted in 1987, who showed up every year to honor the new inductees.
Such a nice guy.
Born in 1927. He lived a long storied life and continued to have passion for skiing on many levels.

When Doug was editor of Skiing Magazine then based in Lakewood, CO I was working in a ski shop in Lakewood. It was the closest shop to the magazine's office so the staff came to the shop for, among other things, binding mountings on skis they received for testing. At the time we used a Marker Scale (basically a wall mounted ruler which showed ski length at the tip and the corresponding position for mounting the toe piece). Doug was the only person I remember who told us where to mount his bindings, no need to use the scale for him. Another memory is that he was a truly nice guy, friendly even to a ski shop employee, and not puffed up by his accomplishments, which were many. After all these years and all of the people I've met, he was by far one of the best.
This story does not surprise me.

Wayne Wong's tribute to him on FB and IG was really detailed and showed the kind of respect Doug garnered.

You can see my post in industry news.
Breaking News: The passing of ski pioneer Doug Pfeiffer

Last edited:

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Damn. Just really, really, sad.
An incredible singer, song writer, performer.
I remember years ago putting in a roommates tape and hearing songs like Black Boys on Mopeds. Such a powerful voice.

She was proven right about the Church.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, my age. :(

Sponsor

Staff online