• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

R. I. P. Thread

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yeah, this is sad, and seems too young to be so.
He was younger than I am. Sad day for sure. He really seemed like a down to earth guy.

LiquidFeet

lurking
Instructor
May your memories of her bring you great comfort.

I lost my mom to a 35 year battle with rheumatoid arthritis and its complications in February. I understand what you mean about the relief. My mom and I had been talking for months that she was ready to be done. I told her in her final waking hours to send me a single robin bird (my name is Robyn) when she is with me. I have seen so many since her passing.

I hope the coming hours, days, weeks, and months bring you healing from the trauma that watching our loved ones battle brings us. Be gentle on yourself as you grieve.
So sad and yet there they are: robins. My thoughts are with you.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Jimmy Buffet wasted away last night. Edited to remove the CNN link.
Is that an appropriate way to announce someone's passing? Especially since he died from rare complications from skin cancer, something that all of us that spend a lot of time outdoors, especially at altitude, could face, not from doing something stupid.

I probably saw Jimmy Buffett 7 or 8 times and also have enjoyed some of the cover bands. So I'm a Parrothead with a couple of the T-shirts, but never wore the hat. I did receive a battery powered blender as a wedding gift and used it in parking lot before concert.

Photos from October 2008. R.I.P.
4260ShorelineMarquee.JPG
4266BuffettYearOfStillHere.JPG

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw Jimmy Buffett a long time ago in Portlandia. Rita Coolidge -- one of my Mom's favorites -- did a fair bit of backup.

I'm no parrot head, but it was a great show.

Fins to the left, fins to the right, RIP!

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
Is that an appropriate way to announce someone's passing? Especially since he died from rare complications from skin cancer, something that all of us that spend a lot of time outdoors, especially at altitude, could face, not from doing something stupid.

I probably saw Jimmy Buffett 7 or 8 times and also have enjoyed some of the cover bands. So I'm a Parrothead with a couple of the T-shirts, but never wore the hat. I did receive a battery powered blender as a wedding gift. Photos from October 2008. R.I.P.

View attachment 210480 View attachment 210481
I have learned not to expect too much from CNN.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Smash Mouth singer Steve Harwell dies at 56.

He went into Hospice yesterday. That was fast.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wasn't a fully fledged Parrothead nonetheless I enjoyed Jimmy Buffett's music and am saddened by his loss. His music touched us all. I love the opening of Fruitcakes, about not wanting that much organization in [my] life. It was funny but true.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
Nice post from @Bad Bob above. Stirred me to comment on something cool that my brother is doing right now. He's age 78 and lost his wife about six months ago. She had dementia and he was primary caregiver the last five years as she declined. He always wanted to walk The Way of St. James in Spain. He flew to Europe in late August and began the 500 mile solo hike. He's got a special memento of his wife that he is carrying with him and will leave at a place of honor along the way.

He's about ten days into his hike and has covered the first 130 miles. These photos are from yesterday. He is traveling light and sleeps in hostels with other pilgrims every night. This is definitely a spiritual and cathartic undertaking that he's hoping will help him move forward in life. He hopes to complete the 500 mile journey in about 40-50 days.
The fountain dispenses wine from a monastery!
Ed Sep 2023 camino de santiago.jpg
sep 2023 plants camino de santiago.jpg
sep 2023 camino de santiago.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
I find it sad that Jimmy Buffett who promoted a Beach Lifestyle passed from Skin Cancer.

Sponsor

Staff online