• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race bindings and plates

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Objectively, all the top race bindings and plates work.

However, I am sure we all have our subjective biases; below are mine as a 6ft 210lbs Masters Racer whose favorite event is SG and who sucks at SL.

I really like the Marker WC PC Interface “ie. Piston Plate” with Race/Comp 20 bindings; I am also fine with the XComp 18 binding. These are easy to mount, simple to adjust, and offer excellent performance on the snow. Did not like the feel of the XCell bindings.

Salomon (& Atomic) plastic “Race Interface” plates are OK. I love the versatility of the X19 VAR binding, as it allows quick fore-aft adjustments on the hill to refine optimal binding position, however, they are a bit more finicky to install. The X16 VAR is not as solid or durable. The new Ikon system is very exciting and will likely be an improvement over the X19 MOD, however, so far I only have one pair of Ikons and have not been able to play with them on the hill as yet. For the Ikon, I’ve seen both plastic, as well as hefty metal plates.

Tyrolia (as well as Head & Fischer) WCR plate is a pretty stout and solid platform. The Freeflex ST20 X RD has decent performance and is reasonable to adjust, however I am a bit gun-shy after having a Freeflex 14 catastrophically break under my foot, resulting in a long limp down the mountain last year...

Look R22 plate feels a touch less substantial than some of the others out there. The PX18 binding is solid, smooth, and holds nicely, however, I am not too excited about the on-snow performance of the SPX 12 & 15 bindings. Unfortunately, the PX18 somewhat of a pain to adjust due to the need for having two different wrenches. Look bindings are also hard to get out of if ski poles are not in hand (ex. a coach carrying a bunch of gates).

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good stuff @DocGKR . Agreed , the marker piston plate is pretty much top of the class other than going to the $400 WC ally race plates ( which would be overkill for most of us). in fact given how long it has been around it is in some ways an icon in the same league as the dobermanrace boot!

Some other thoughts, the Rossi r22 plate and tne latest atomic plate ( both one piece plates) seem to b virtually the same plate, and both appear to have been modeled closely on the marker piston plate. in fact the nounting profile to the ski is almost identical for the atomic and r22 plates

the latest head plate also seems to be based on the same design.

and yes, as a coach the look bindings are a complete PITA since we don’t ski with poles and you do damage to the base of the ski when you step on the heel piece to open it

Last edited:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
And it’s been like that forever

:emoji of coach stuck in skis:
:emoji of other coach who walks over and steps on heelpiece:
Trying to get my Look bindings off with DH poles is also a struggle.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted to like the XComp, but I was surprised to find the return-to-center is just about nonexistent. I'm trying a Tyrolia FreeFlex ST 16 on a couple skis this season; one with a plate, the other flat. Not thrilled about the tab adjust and mounting the rear binding is somewhat finicky, but the construction seems bomber, return-to-center is fast, it has good brake width options, and I think it's the only race binding with a underfoot forward tension strip (enabling FreeFex) that can be mounted without a plate.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Objectively, all the top race bindings and plates work.

The Freeflex ST20 X RD has decent performance and is reasonable to adjust, however I am a bit gun-shy after having a Freeflex 14 catastrophically break under my foot, resulting in a long limp down the mountain last year...

What broke on you? It looks like the ST 14 has a different heel than the ST 14 X and above.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Maybe impossible to know whether it was the binding, or the plate, or the crash. Reluctance to get back on something associated with that totally understood.

TS
DocGKR

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I was hit on the side by another skier and the binding sheared off from the plate; plate was fine after removing broken screws, however binding had to be replaced.

Groomer61

Booting up
Skier
Does Head offer different size plates? I just mounted a set of 16x rd's to a pair of e-sl rd's and noticed I'm about 8 mm behind the midsole on the plate. If there was an extra set of holes in the front this would easily be resolved but my monster feet {BSL is 343} I believe is causing this.

Groomer61

Booting up
Skier
Sorry guys, my boot skiing days are long gone. Besides it kills the soles and doesn't provide much edge grip here in the east

Sponsor

Staff online