• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race liners used in racing

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Posting this here and not in the bootfitting section, since it's not about fit issues, and we can take it as read that if they don't fit, they're no good. For the purposes of this, I'm also taking it as read that the person doing the fitting has to know what they're doing.

Interested in which aftermarket race liners are actually used - i.e. what's going into race boots at the higher levels if it's not the stock liner?

James

Out There
Instructor
Custom or modified liners.
Maybe some info here. Lots of tongue swapping and pieces put in.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Posting this here and not in the bootfitting section, since it's not about fit issues, and we can take it as read that if they don't fit, they're no good. For the purposes of this, I'm also taking it as read that the person doing the fitting has to know what they're doing.

Interested in which aftermarket race liners are actually used - i.e. what's going into race boots at the higher levels if it's not the stock liner?

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Custom or modified liners.
Maybe some info here. Lots of tongue swapping and pieces put in.

Thanks, good info in that one, but no mention of what brand of liners are used, just what you can do with them.

James

Out There
Instructor
They use whatever. It’s not linear. Tech guy has x, they try that, add y tongue. Try another. Noel has that one foam liner and may have 3 or 4 other types too . May have one made. Or not. Different feels for different snows.
I don’t think companies care as long as the shell looks like their brand.
Hirscher even used a red Dobermann shell with Atomic stickers for at least some of his career.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't think so. I would guess these are the Lange in-house liners (not available to the public).
I believe Lange have their own foamable liners, but I wouldn't recognise them. Head I would recognise, having used them. Good info out there/on here re. Atomic Mimic. So yeah, certainly there's in-house products going in.

They use whatever. It’s not linear.
I'm sure there's variation. But also trends. It's the aftermarket stuff I'm wondering about. E.g. Zipfit themselves tell me there are issues getting them into a boot if you have a genuine race fit. Plus what you've said elsewhere about the tongues. So how many racers are in them?
Are Bootdoc and Sidas being used at the higher levels, or are they just labeled race for marketing purposes?

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe Lange have their own foamable liners, but I wouldn't recognise them. Head I would recognise, having used them. Good info out there/on here re. Atomic Mimic. So yeah, certainly there's in-house products going in.

I'm sure there's variation. But also trends. It's the aftermarket stuff I'm wondering about. E.g. Zipfit themselves tell me there are issues getting them into a boot if you have a genuine race fit. Plus what you've said elsewhere about the tongues. So how many racers are in them?
Are Bootdoc and Sidas being used at the higher levels, or are they just labeled race for marketing purposes?
I believe it was extensively discussed here in a different thread that Hirscher used Bootdocs when he was sponsored by Atomic. Don't know which liners he uses now.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Atomic almost has a 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 split between regular Mimic World Cup liners, Mimic Professional and traditional bottle-foam liners by our athletes on the World Cup. I can't think of any of our top athletes who use liners from other brands (ZipFit, Sidas, etc.).

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
At that level, if something works for the athlete it ain't wrong...
Over the years, I have even had PJ Dewey end up making Frankenstein boots for me using parts from 2 or 3 different brands. Why? Because it simply worked for me and my anatomy.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Atomic almost has a 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 split between regular Mimic World Cup liners, Mimic Professional and traditional bottle-foam liners by our athletes on the World Cup.
Very interesting, thanks. How would you describe the difference or the reasons for the choices? Just what the clock says, or anything else?
Aren't Mimic Professional much thicker than the Mimic WC, or am I confusing them with the Hawx Mimic Professional?

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Very interesting, thanks. How would you describe the difference or the reasons for the choices? Just what the clock says, or anything else?
Aren't Mimic Professional much thicker than the Mimic WC, or am I confusing them with the Hawx Mimic Professional?
The choice for me was: If it is working against me, make a change. If it is working good, I don't care who made it or how it was modified. The clock doesn't lie, but it also in what you feel happening with the skis and boots. I have spent so much time in race boots and race skis, I can feel the difference in boot geometry when just buckling a boot up and I can tell what the edge angles are on a ski just making a few turns on them. I think that is true of anything in life you spend a lot of time doing. You pick up on details that others gloss over.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
There are Mimic Professional liners for Redster (lasted differently, with thinner materials and the HV tongue) and separate liners for Hawx (lasted differently, with thicker materials and the MV tongue). In regards to why racers chose one over the other, it comes down to personal feel, what is faster (for them) and what they have spent time testing. Some athletes are a bit more conservative & just stick to what they have always had, some are more progressive and love trying new things. I think there will always be that mix.

James

Out There
Instructor
How would you describe the difference or the reasons for the choices? Just what the clock says, or anything else?

I think you’re looking for “the best” and what that is, there’s no answer.
You’re probably going to have to try various options to see how they ski, and how they work for you or how you like them. Except for foam, you can often find some of these liners used, which will let you try them for not a lot.

Some years ago, it seemed like people couldn’t ski without an intuition liner. I tried one of their tongue models, and pretty much hated it. Just don’t like the “dead” feel to it. Plus the tongue on that was utter garbage, you could feel it fold over the top of the boot instead of flexing the boot.

I went back to the Dobermann liner in my Lange. Had a much nicer, “springier” feel to it. I preferred the Dobermann to the Lange as it was slightly thicker and the tongue was better. Actually the left/right curve of the Lange tongue worked better on my shin, but overall went with the Dobie. Tongue plastic can be shaped to some extent also.

Zipfit has a different feel altogether. It’s kind of a much more damp, power steering type of feel. Whether that’s good or not so good is personal. I had one 20yrs ago, and got a used one recently to try out.
God help us with that company. $450 and the tongues on intermediate boots are built better. The one I had 20 years ago had a similar weak tongue. In short, there’s no hard stiffening on the tongue, you can bend it lengthwise with your fingers. Very poor. If the tongue was easily replaceable, I might consider one. But paying that much to have to unsew it.. nah.

Currently in a Head B3 and Head liner with Dobermann tongue. Problem with Dobermann liner is it’s really narrow. Plus, they have an enormous sewn seam almost right on the 5th metatarsal head. I stretched the last one I had, but you’d need to cut it to get more room.

Current Head has good width which is why I kept it. But it’s now worn out. The advantage to race shells, if properly fit, is liners can be skied longer for free skiing. There’s not that much room for things to pack out.

Foam, I don’t know. They keep saying it’s better with expiration dated foams, blah, blah, blah. I might try another

Last one I had was in 2000, a Nordica foam liner in a Lange. Despite spending lots of time in a good shop, it just didn’t work. There were creases in the sides near the ankle. That was that, as I could not go back to Taos to deal with it. Moved onto a whole new boot eventually.

It wouldn’t shock me if some wcup skier is in a franken liner that combines some of the Zipfit or Head Liquidfit with other stuff, a modifed foam liner, or some odd combo. But for that you need a bunch of liners and someone able to unsew and resew the liner. If you had to pay for it, it’d prob be a €2k liner. And it might not be great! Next try.

Kudos to Atomic for addressing the whole liner market with a few quality products. I may go and look at one to see.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think you’re looking for “the best” and what that is, there’s no answer.
Not really, more a case trying to rule out stuff that just doesn't belong in race boots. Stuff like this:

$450 and the tongues on intermediate boots are built better. The one I had 20 years ago had a similar weak tongue. In short, there’s no hard stiffening on the tongue, you can bend it lengthwise with your fingers.

The background to the post is that I got to test a proper race liner recently and the quality and power transfer of the materials got me thinking precisely about your experience with the Zipfit tongues,. Clearly not all liners sold as race liners are race liners.

Re. the Atomic mix @onenerdykid referred to, I was surprised that those not using foam fit would want anything but the nominally top model of Mimic liner, so was interested in the difference in properties between a WC and Professional. Certainly not trying to establish which would be "best" for me there, since they don't make the race Mimics in my size.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Re. the Atomic mix @onenerdykid referred to, I was surprised that those not using foam fit would want anything but the nominally top model of Mimic liner, so was interested in the difference in properties between a WC and Professional. Certainly not trying to establish which would be "best" for me there, since they don't make the race Mimics in my size.
The biggest, and I'm pretty sure the only, difference between the Mimic World Cup and Mimic Professional is what is inside the ankle area. World Cup uses lots of super high end memory foams while the Professional version uses our PU foam bladder. The regular Mimic World Cup liner is honestly a phenomenal liner, especially for being a stock, standard-issue liner.