• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race protective equipment

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
While all skiers, be they recreational or racing, should be wearing a helmet, alpine ski racers typically need additional protective equipment. For example most racers use goggles, many wear back protectors, and some wisely use tooth guards. Recently I have become increasingly interested in cut-proof under-layers, particularly for the legs.

In addition, each alpine ski race event requires additional unique safety equipment:

--Slalom racing typically involves single break away gates; racers can benefit from a face bar on their helmet, hand guards on their poles, as well as lower leg shin & knee protectors to cushion the impact with the gates.

Luke Winters SL Courchevel.jpg

--For GS and SG, panel gates are used; racers often wear gloves with dorsal knuckle padding, forearm guards, as well as garments with padding along the upper arm, shoulder, thigh, and knee, as those areas are susceptible to impact with the gates.

Richardson_Britt GS Sugarloaf.jpg

--For DH, many racers do not wear as much padding, mainly just gloves with dorsal knuckle padding, as there is not as much contact with the gates.

Laura Pirovano DH Trentino.jpg

Now the key thing is to ensure the racer has the right protection for the type of event they are skiing.

Woe betide the poor individual who has the wrong protective gear, as it can lead to untoward results.

For example, I recently showed up for a race billed as a parallel slalom (single pole) wearing SL protective gear and on SL skis, but the event actually turned out to be a PGS style using panel gates and I was clearly not prepared, creating some excitement in the following days due to the repeated impact of my unprotected upper arms with the panel gate poles…..

GKR arm eccymosis.jpg

Race Ski Logos.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In my half assed attempts at GS racing I find that knuckle, helmet,forearm and shoulder protection are very useful. For training I'll wear a padded top-helps when you clear "slow" signs on the way to the course............. :)

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
--For DH, many racers do not wear as much padding, mainly just gloves with dorsal knuckle padding, as there is not as much contact with the gates.
I was under the impression that back protection is often used in downhill racing. Is that true?

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are those bruises on the inside of your arm or am I looking at that picture wrong? Somewhat confused how you would get them there.

TS
DocGKR

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Backprotectors are definitely worn--that is why I included them with helmets, goggles in the first paragraph.

Gate poles hit on the triceps area and then the lovely ecchymosis formed as the extravasated blood pooled in the interstitial spaces--gravity at work.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was under the impression that back protection is often used in downhill racing. Is that true?
At least for FIS races, back protector is obligatory for all events. At least for WC level, also airbags are obligatory now for year or so in DH (not sure about SG). For DH all other protection is not allowed, partly because of rules for air flow through suit (or however that should be properly called), and partly to make racers choose a bit wider line and not go direct at gates. Hitting gates at 150km/h can easily lead to serious issues, not to mention that maybe getting this slightly wrong and there can easily come to situation that noone would ever want to see.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just like helmets, a back protector is mandatory in many (most?) countries for all race related skiing. You cannot participate in U10 free skiing practice w/o one over here.

TS
DocGKR

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Now that Kilde's severe injury has once again highlighted the severity of lacerations due to ski edges (see his recent Instagram post where he posted images of the injuries), the use of cut-resistant layers is even more important, as we have discussed previously: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/cut-proof-speed-suits.11567/page-3

Kilde lac.jpeg

Repair.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Now that Kilde's severe injury has once again highlighted the severity of lacerations due to ski edges (see his recent Instagram post where he posted images of the injuries), the use of cut-resistant layers is even more important, as we have discussed previously: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/cut-proof-speed-suits.11567/page-3
I wish I could unsee that.

I am wondering when manufacturers will start incorporating some cut protection right into the speed suit. Just adding a 2" strip of kevlar down the inside of both legs would be a major improvement. For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing the option for an integrated back protector too. Especially for kids, the number of layers they need under a suit to be "safe" is getting untenable.

Sponsor

Staff online