• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug - So, I talked with a Head rep and I'm now leaning away from the Worldcup Rebels and towards the Super Shape i.Speed. Lighter and more flexible - seems like they will be less work/fatigue. Agree or disagree?
Also, which size 163 or 170?

Oh, and I did get to demo a pair of Stockli CX 170. These seemed to be what I'm looking for - quick, snappy turns and I could bend the skis easily... but the price... so the Head Super Shape i.Speed I can probably afford.
I think you are on the right path with the i.Speed. As far as length, I would err to the 170 since you liked CX in that length.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Used FIS Sls can be remarkable value for those that can handle the firm ride. I paid $80 with bindings for my last pair from a thrift store. Still in top notch tune but were old so had clearly dropped below training status for the previous owner. Had some fun mornings on them but really want to swap out for something more forgiving when it gets bumpy.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug , @ScotsSkier ....

I love my 155 Head i.SL (non-FIS) but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a 165 more (I'm 5'10", 165). This past year, I've gone longer in all of my other skis.

Elan SLX SL in 165?

I'd have to sell the Heads first.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming you are just free skiing on them Wendy then you might find the 165 more fun. Or better still look for a pairof158s, that is what mots of the women are racing on . The 155 is now basically a U14/u 16 ski

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming you are just free skiing on them Wendy then you might find the 165 more fun. Or better still look for a pairof158s, that is what mots of the women are racing on . The 155 is now basically a U14/u 16 ski
OK. I've read good reviews on the new Elan SLX, do you recommend that one? I'm leaning towards it because my ski shop guy carries them, and I like to give his brick and mortar shop business.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK. I've read good reviews on the new Elan SLX, do you recommend that one? I'm leaning towards it because my ski shop guy carries them, and I like to give his brick and mortar shop business.

Depends. Are you considering the FIS version or the Fusion version?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
And by 'new SLX' you mean the 2018 version? It's different from the current ones in that is won't have Amphibio anymore. In overall flex and feel, however, it is not very different. Quite soft though, compared to similar skis from other brands (Fischer, Völkl, Head, etc.). The Rossignol Hero Elite ST TI sits just above the Elan, fex-wise.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And by 'new SLX' you mean the 2018 version? It's different from the current ones in that is won't have Amphibio anymore. In overall flex and feel, however, it is not very different. Quite soft though, compared to similar skis from other brands (Fischer, Völkl, Head, etc.). The Rossignol Hero Elite ST TI sits just above the Elan, fex-wise.
Yes, the 2018 version with the symmetrical tip. I realize it's softer than others....I sort of prefer that. My other skis (except my Stocklis, which are just in a different universe, feel-wise) are softer. And yes, I can get a good price from my ski-shop guy. I'm not planning on racing, other than a weekly race clinic I do for technique improvement and fun. And that coach does not recommend a full-on race ski for me.

For me to race, it requires commitments during the evenings which become too stressful during the school year (I'm a teacher who often does schoolwork at night).

Last edited:

Jay Carver

Booting up
Skier
Slalom (Lite) Skis

Head Worldcup Rebels i.SL
Dimensions: 124-68-108
Sizes offered: 150, 155, 160, 165,170
Radius: 11.5m@160
Plate: EVO
Binding (optional): Freeflex EVO 14

Head brings a lot of its race heritage to the design and build of the i.SL. However, Head goes in a different direction than Fischer with this model. The i.SL is a significantly different tool than the no-holds-barred i.SL RD: softer, livelier, and more forgiving with a softer plate. Note, this does not mean it is a lesser ski, just different! While the RD is an awesome tool for attacking slalom courses, requiring a reasonable degree of skill, the i.SL has a wider, more accessible range. Despite this it could still be used in gates if you must, the 68 waist helping quick responses, but ultimately it is not as effective as its big brother when you push it.
  • Who is it for? Those who want the Head Rebels cachet but not the demands of the RD.
  • Who is it not for? Not many! This ski can support a wide range of skills without biting back.
  • Insider tip: Don't listen to those who tell you Heads are all super stiff! But also don't think this ski is a real slalom tool like the RD.
@Dave Petersen Artwork

I know the Head Supershape Speed is not quiet in this category, but do you have any experience in skiing on them?. I am an intermediate, fit skier, 6´190LBS and have bought a pair (177, $300 , Ex display so new) for hard pack icy conditions and looking to develop my technique.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the Head Supershape Speed is not quiet in this category, but do you have any experience in skiing on them?. I am an intermediate, fit skier, 6´190LBS and have bought a pair (177, $300 , Ex display so new) for hard pack icy conditions and looking to develop my technique.

Quite a while since I have skied a supershape but for your stage of development and what you are looking for it is a good option. A bit bigger radius IIRC compared to the slalom skis which,IMHO, is much better for skills development

Jay Carver

Booting up
Skier
Quite a while since I have skied a supershape but for your stage of development and what you are looking for it is a good option. A bit bigger radius IIRC compared to the slalom skis which,IMHO, is much better for skills development
Thanks very much for racking your memory.

farang

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi
Newbie here. I trised many of the skis last season, and I really liked the HEAD WC Rebels i.SL (non RD), RD's are too stiff for me.
I wanteed to buy them, but got offered the the Volkl Racetiger SL (2018 model) for a really good money. I can also get the Rossignol HERO ST Ti and the Atomic S9 and the Fischer RC4 SC for similar $.
Since I haven't ski any of the VOLKL's , Rossi, Fischer or Atomic before, I wonder if anyone can share their experience of similarity to the i.SL's?
Thanks a bunch.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Th Head want more active input than the other skis IMO. The Atomic is least forgiving, and more of a pure carver. The Rossi and Völkl are a bot more allround, not too hard to ski.

Is it the 2018 Fischer? If so, it's like the Atomic. If it's an older Fischer, they're more like the Rossi and Völkl.

farang

Skier
Thanks for the input Cheizz.
I didn't feel that the i.SL needed any effort at all. The RD needed it, a lot, that's why I don't like it too much for all day skiing. I'm a shory at 5ft5 with not much weight as well (140 lbs), but I love slalom turns.
So, if I understand, I should be ok with the Fischer SC from 2016/17 season? I can get any of them, of course the newer is more expensive, but not by much. I'll probably go with the 159 cm.
Or I should take both, and then sell the ones I like the least :P.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The 2018 Fischer is more agressive due to the concave sidewall, the older versions are a bit more gentle and a bit less 'all I can do is carve'-like. But if you have the $$, why not buy both. Sounds like a plan, or an addiction rather...

farang

Skier
Hehehe, maybe it is an addiction, who knows.
If I had the $$, I'd buy the HEAD WC Rebels i.SL, but since I don't can buy both of this for half the price of the HEAD here in Europe.
I'll probably take the advice on the Fischers, and buy the last years version, and add the Volkl Racetiger SL's to the box as well. And then we'll see what is what :)
I mostly ski in Austria, where the pistes are groomed to perfection most of the time, so that's why I love the "fake" slalom skis.

Sponsor

Staff online