• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FIS SL skis will not be too much for you. There is a misapprehension that it’s the ski that’s unruly, rather than the skier. Not so. There’s no more need to ski above your head on a FIS ski than any other. And there is the advantage that a real ski performs in a much more predictable manner than recreational clunkers. It actually makes them easier to ski and to advance on. Of course you can’t fall asleep on them, but you’re not meant to!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I suspect FIS skis would be too much ski for me. I've skied some Fischer WC SC 165s and they were no joke for me - it was all concentration all the time, and that was free skiing without the challenge of gates. It could only get worse on real slalom skis. I suspect a fall on a steep run would be more likely than not with my current ability, so I probably wouldn't be getting the most out of the training.

I'm no expert when it comes to FIS SL skis, but I own a pair of Fischer RC4 WC SC 165s. They replaced my antique SG skis as my daily drivers.

I distinctly recall how easy and forgiving they felt to ski on their first day on the snow, with the factory tune of 1 degree base bevel and 3 degrees side bevel, when I first got them. For what it's worth I'm about 5'9" (1.75 m) and weighed 160 lbs (73 kgs) at the time. I felt like I could be reading a newspaper as I skied down the runs at Blue Mountain Collingwood. They became somewhat more demanding when I tuned them at 0.5:3 and didn't bother to remove the hanging bur.

Yes, it's all relative to what you're used to, but I really don't think a properly tuned 165 cm long Fischer RC4 WC SC should be all that hard for an intermediate skier to handle. Bonus: they're the same shape and size as the real FIS SL skis, just a little softer and thus don't need racing speeds or a large mass to make good SL turns.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
You should be able to get a used sl set up for like $350.

Where are you seeing good condition, used FIS SL skis (and bindings?) for $350?

late4gates

Pride comes before a fall.
Skier
They were tuned to 3/0.5 it seems. He said that was factory.

Ok, I'm hearing you all loud and clear. Thanks for the encouragement.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
They were tuned to 3/0.5 it seems. He said that was factory.

Ok, I'm hearing you all loud and clear. Thanks for the encouragement.
0.5 degree base bevel requires well-fitted boots and the ability to control your feet. It may be an acquired taste. I can assure you my Fischers came with a 1 degree base bevel.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
O.P., from your first post, I'd have wished you had a different ski.

Lots of options, but as @Dakine said, race skis are cheap. And tuned right, just as easy, or easier, than the oddball (for racing esp.) WBX9s you have.

Slalom skis you have to get used to, but you don't have to ski them fast or at high angles at first.

Lots of very old guys who once raced relax now on FIS slalom skis. So can you, for starters. To get your toes in the water, so to speak.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If your boots fit and are set up well, you'll be fine. One can still snowplow on FIS SL's, side skip, or whatever. I've taught on them during a first time beginners group doing things very slowly and deliberately. They aren't hard, and they'll help you sort out your footwork more quickly than a 'normal ' ski.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Me - short old and fat. 05/05/2021, Squaw Valley, Spring slush. Trees, bumps and whatever. Ski du jour - Atomic FIS SL. Had a blast.

G1.jpg

For the record, I was on the Stockli AX for the last two days. (see Tahoe thread post). Same snow condition. Had lots more fun today.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Shot? One year of SL racing would do it, but 7 years of mostly staying in the garage and occasionally being skied by someone who doesn't know how to bend skis, not so much.
I agree, due to budgetary restrictions, I am using a pair of nearly 20 years old Head iSL 12mt 165cm (non FIS), which stayed un-used , properly stored in a cellar for their first 10 years of "life". For their second 10 years, only in the last two seasons I have used them SL for training and even then the days I've skied them "hard" can be counted on one hand, all the rest of the very few days i ski them, have been free skiing. Those were bought with the intention to be used when teaching the kids, in an era where "long boards" were still mainstream...
@groomer
One other thing, @markojp did mention boots...That's more important than skis, in fact. Which boots are you using ? If you are goin gto ski FIS skis for SL (and "proper" GS skis when training in the gates), then you need proper "racing" boots, not a "130" shop graded boot (even if it should be fine). And here is where most of your budget will end up. Whilst still skiable racing skis can be bought cheap-ish on the used market, specially at the end of a season, used racing boots are sa no-no for me. This because are often tweaked (aka boot-fitted) to the owner's specific feet and needs. But to drive a racecar, one needs everything that goes with it : suspensions, tyres, etc. Same for skis and boots...boots btw don't need to be extra stiff...just to mention, an "SS" graded - that's Super Soft - Dalbello DRS WC is stiffer than its 130-140 shop graded brethren (and more than enough to cause me some difficulty in adapting my skiing to them) - so choose wisely with the support of a good bootfitter and a coach's input.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Calling BS
It depends on how they were used.
I have some women's FIS GS skis from the 2006 season and they ski just fine.
You must be in the ski selling business.
Did you look at the pics? Those skis are beat to snot, dusty, and rusty.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Did you look at the pics? Those skis are beat to snot, dusty, and rusty.
All I care about is the bottoms which are not shown.
I'd contact the seller about that.
The tips look good which means they haven't run into too many gates.
The bindings are indemnified.
Dust and rust are good, they haven't been skiing.
I picked up a nearly new pair of WC SC's for $350 so there are better deals out there.
Certainly these are a better tool for the job than what the OP has.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Good starter set.:thumb: A good tune makes all the difference. Like king grump I ski them in all conditions.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Certainly these are a better tool for the job than what the OP has.

Agree to disagree on that point. Maybe if they were $35.000 vs $350.00 I'd change my mind. ;)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I've heard a few skiers don't like the Firebirds. Any feedback?

Sponsor

Staff online