• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m going to re-iterate something that was said by the best and most unbiased ski reviewer (member of this site, hint, hint and it’s definitely not me). True race SL skis perform extremely well for all skiers for a simple reason, predictability pure and simple. Though, I might suggest the slightly softer side of the scale for us mortals.

As to aggressive tunes, IMHO, you learn to improve or you enjoy the pain of the punishment, I am not going to judge you.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lone dissenting voice in the woods reporting in:

I've moved on from slalom skis, but when I demoed a few 5 years ago, I had FAR more fun on cheater Heads than the FIS version.

Simply because the cheaters came alive at a significantly lower speed -- and I never found a speed limit on either.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I've moved on from slalom skis, but when I demoed a few 5 years ago, I had FAR more fun on cheater Heads than the FIS version.

Simply because the cheaters came alive at a significantly lower speed -- and I never found a speed limit on either.
Likely had SL’s on the stiff side, consumer cheaters tend to be a little more GS’ish (slightly less aggressive cut) so top end goes up slightly and dampness increases even if they are softer. I find SL’s come alive but you need to give them INPUT at slow speeds, top end for mortals starts around 42-50mph, it takes skill, strength (and insane nerve & luck if you are lacking the first two) to hit full FIS race speed potential. Cheaters SL’s let off at this speed because they don’t respond as the FIS version. Again a FIS performance vs mortal forgiveness thing in design and construction.

Think old school hyper cars vs new computer stabilized hyper cars, deathly handful vs you can drive at insane speeds and the car fixes your mistakes (to a point).

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My cheater SL, an older Fischer RC4 Worldcup SC, has the same sidecut as the FIS ski, 13 m at 165 cm. I can ski it at 65 mph, but it's not working as designed above about 45 mph, neither is any 13 m side-cut radius ski; that's why they make GS, SG and DH skis.

At 150 lbs the SC works better for me than a full-on FIS, at 200 lbs I would want the FIS. Where that line depends on your weight and your priorities. The FIS has more top end, a higher ceiling as it were, but the cheaters have a lower floor. Many people consider my SC's floor to be too high, as in it takes very deleberate commands to work at lower speeds - not the fly by wire feeling you might get from some flexier SL-ish skis.

Problem with the OP buying used skis is he can't tell by looking at them (and maybe not by hand flexing them) how much life is left in them, nor does he know how much edge remaining is good to go. Never buy a ski without seeing the bases, at least a picture of them.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

missing the point Tom. The poster was asking about learning to ski slalom. Different requirement from free-skiing

James

Out There
Instructor
Where are you seeing good condition, used FIS SL skis (and bindings?) for $350?
They show up here quite a bit but get sold or pre sold quickly. Increase it to $450, or go flat.
Or buy new old stock. Like the 2020 Blizzard. Blizzard is out of the race market this year. That’ll be 5-600$. Plus binding unless you have one.

Hell,I had these on for $250. They were hardly used. Really nice soft slalom. Never even had a file to it after being setup. Several days free skiing. I chip skis in a half a day usually, so top sheet is meaningless.

Anyway, no one bought them. $250, flat. I had taken the non race bindings off to put on something else.
Turned out fine. I got a pair of race bindings for $150, and it’s now part of the Fis Sl collection. Which will be 4, but it’s really only 2. One is shot but can’t bear to retire it yet. It did nice spring duty. The other is a used 155 that a shop found in the attic and gave to me. Needs a grind and some cleanup. Bindings still indemnified. So, it’s a zombie ski for now.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FIS race stuff is usually around $400-500 range new here (atomic) if its 1 year out of date its ... $150? :p new

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
probably more than the ski, we only ship oil & fish :D

But invite me over post corona and I will bring stuff! I got so much frequent flier miles expiring I need to use anyway!

James

Out There
Instructor
probably more than the ski, we only ship oil & fish :D

But invite me over post corona and I will bring stuff! I got so much frequent flier miles expiring I need to use anyway!
They could use a little VAT to pay for this tunnel system. Impressive. Seems like a fraction of the real cost though.

Since we’ve had the tv series, “The Bridge, and “The Tunnel” already, this would require a new series and a new name. I propose “The System”.

Last edited:

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm late to the party here, and I hesitate to reply because it's all been said already, but since I own a pair of X9 WB I'll add my two cents. That is not a slalom ski. I think they are a nice carving ski for small hills and great for things like instructor clinics. I've actually taken several runs in a slalom course with them (because I didn't know there was going to be a course that day) and they were way out of their element. And I say that as a guy who's first win in a USSA sl race happened on some Volkl P9 GS skis because I had busted my SL skis that week (ok, 30 yrs ago, but good times!)

Don't be intimidated by getting in a slalom training program! It will almost certainly revolutionize your skiing! It would be especially good if they offer some good early season clinics/camps where they do a lot of drills outside of the course working on fundamentals.

I have a pair of 165 Atomic S9s in good shape I can sell you if you like. They are the non-fis version, but I think some have said that the Redster S9 cheaters are a more legitimate course ski than some of the other brands cheaters. I'm not sure if that's true or not, someone else might chime in on that, but they are definitely far better than the X9 WB in a slalom course. Perhaps that will get you started and next year you will know what you want after talking to your coach and trying some other skis.

But most importantly, you seem to be interested in trying slalom so do it! Because, as someone once said, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any particular seller you'd recommend?

Racing clubs usually have a discount and is able to buy through select dealers, or even direct sometimes with club discount

since racers usually go through 2-3 pairs a year, and mfg's want riders on their gear, the prices are favourable.

we get discounts on head, rossi, atomic here

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I’m just gonna bump this thread because I enjoyed these short sticks today.

6F57B72C-F0BB-4E45-82DD-E78F931B8C2C.jpeg

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Between this thread and the other about SL Skis (https://www.skitalk.com/threads/i-h...rt-carvy-skis.29607/page-13#post-856654)...my interest in SL skis got so aroused that I might take out of semi-retirement my Head iSL tomorrow...it will all depends on the weather, though...
I would like to rent a Voelkl RaceTiger SL, at minimum the Master model, but there are none to be had at my hill, so I'll have to make do with my 20+ y.o. SL ski....which will be many orders of magnitude below (performancewise and everything else) compared to today's models (either F.I.S. or NON-F.I.S.)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online