• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race Tuning Equipment

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks a bunh @Primoz , also for the video. You maintain sharpness daily with a file then?
Back in my days on WC yes. You do skis for every training (most of time almost for every run) from start on. First file, then diamond, then for GS and SL ceramic stone. Everytime. Nowadays, when I do skis for my own skiing, it depends on conditions. For powder skis, I normally do them with diamonds only, if I go somewhere steep and hard I do them with file too, but with race skis, I normally always do them after every skiing with file, as on the end of the day, no matter what conditions are, they are not sharp anymore and just diamond wouldn't be enough. Yeah I know it's different, but I still want to ski with properly prepared skis, so my race skis are still sharp enough to go to WC start with them :D
As for this "oil" thing, I'm not sure we are on same page. There are two things. One is lubrication for diamonds, and that's what I was talking about. The other is "wax" for sidewall, and I have feeling now you were talking about that one. This last one is different thing though, and for that you have plenty of commercial products from wax and ski companies. It's not really oil but more like liquid wax. But that's thing to "wax" sidewall with it, so it glides a little better/faster, when you put ski on edge and sidewall is in snow too then.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
You do skis for every training (most of time almost for every run) from start on.
How did you set up for this on the snow? Portable bench or several pairs of freshly tuned training skis?

One is lubrication for diamonds, and that's what I was talking about.
Yep, that's what I meant. In the videos, they're directly oiling the side edge prior to running the diamond stone along it.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re files: you have to use a file. Diamonds alone won't give sharpeness. Don’t worry about messing up. Worst thing than can happen is that you have a shitty tuned edge, nothing that can’t be fixed by someone who knows and a file in 20 minutes. Just do not use a file on the underside… can lead to bigger problems (not unfixable though). And you need to peel off sidewall first. Otherwise the file won’t cut. Good luck.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The other is "wax" for sidewall, and I have feeling now you were talking about that one. ... But that's thing to "wax" sidewall with it, so it glides a little better/faster, when you put ski on edge and sidewall is in snow too then.
We need a thread on what wax to use on the sidewall. and another on whether to scrape it or rotobrush it.

dm

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Primoz double thumbs up.

The irony is that all the correct techniques for sharpening skis also apply in metal work, in therm of direct and why to achieve the beat results.

Generally when someone goes against these concepts they can either full prove the reason or in most causes have no clue.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
You do skis for every training (most of time almost for every run) from start on. First file, then diamond, then for GS and SL ceramic stone. Everytime.
After recently stivotting the crap out of a fresh GS tune on a firm slope, I'm still very curious about how you went about filing between runs. Portable bench on the snow, or backing yourself to hold the ski steady with one hand? (Have stayed away from that after being told how there's too much bounce to get a proper tune, but you get told all sorts of stuff in skiing.)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Zirbl this is something that doesn't really work for recreational skiing... first, as most people don't have equipment for this, second, as most people don't have serviceman to follow them, and third, for most (ok at least for me) recreational skiing means some 30+ runs a day, while normal race training is 5-8 runs max. So most of time, you have skis ready for run or max two, and then skis are changed for new pair, while old ones stored to be prepared on afternoon for next day/training. If they need to be prepared for another run on spot, it's normally just a diamond drag. Filing with ski not in vises can be done (on snow it's easier then on hard floor, as you can "fix it" in snow better then on hard floor), but you really try to avoid doing this as much as possible on skis, that are used for racing too, as it's too much chances you don't do it good enough and it will make issues next time when ski need to be perfect.