• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RaceTiger factory tuning

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
Volkl lists the factory edge tuning as 1,4° base bevel, 87,6° sidewall. As I'm reading this, to maintain a close-to factory tune, I need a 1° base shim and an 87° side edger. What does the ",4° and ,6°" indicate?

Thanks

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the comma is the European decimal point. So that would be 1.4 deg and 87.6 deg

But that’s a huge base bevel for a gs or sl race ski. No one races that way. 0.5 deg or less to 0.75 deg Junior maybe 1.0

Factory numbers don’t matter. Just go 2 or 3 degrees on the side. To change the base, you’ll have to have it reground.
Note FIS skis are not included in the bloated base bevel-
DA44FBCC-B26A-4460-95B9-33D4CA6FCB3E.jpeg

Volkl usa

Last edited:
TS
EMill99

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, guys! Dwight, those of the exact angles I was thinking, 1° base, 3 (87°) side.

Thanks again!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
1 degree base on a slalom will feel pretty slugish. I usually do 0.5/3 but have skied SLs at 0.7/3 when I bought them that way, they were pretty forgiving and not too bad to free ski.

BTW, you don't need to/shouldn't mess with the base bevel once it is set. Just get a 93 degree side edge guide like one of these.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I tune my SL-ish carving skis 0.5,3. My Fischer WC SCs came with a 1 degree base, but they felt like I could read the daily paper while skiing them - pretty slow to react, no attention required. I can only assume they did that so folks would not have trouble skiing them while day-dreaming about something else. :huh:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I so wish all beer league skis came with zero edge tuning!
So many skis today with excessive base bevel!
Bad enough that that bevel is all over the map on a pair as well, no matter what they list it as.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Remember that you will have to get these skis ground to get the base edge bevel reset down from the 1.4 base to 1 degree. Standard stone grind will not usually be enough passes to accomplish that so let the tech know that more passes are needed.

If you request a “Race/Blanking” stone grind, they will use more passes and higher pressure to for sure flatten the bases and reset the base edge angles(usually to .5 degree) and then you can tailor to your tastes from there.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
It isn’t possible to grind ski edges to a 1/10th of a degree using any of the machines currently available. I think all the major manufacturers use Fill machines to finish their skis, Blizzard has a table that states their edge angle tolerances https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/assets/documents/blizzard/blizzard_tuning_chart.pdf as you can see the side edge tolerance is -1°/+2° and the base edge tolerance ±0.2° I would expect other manufacturers tolerances to be similar. Wintersteiger states that the tolerance for base/ side edge angles ground on the new Jupiter series is ±0.2° and ±0.25° for their older machines.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I don’t get these ridiculous side edge numbers to a tenth of a degree.
For base, maybe they don’t want to say 1.5degrees because those who know will hate it. 1.4 sounds so much better.

3D1BA79E-9665-406C-BA50-D6733E315EAE.jpeg

Let’s not call it 3.24 !

TS
EMill99

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
1 degree base on a slalom will feel pretty slugish. I usually do 0.5/3 but have skied SLs at 0.7/3 when I bought them that way, they were pretty forgiving and not too bad to free ski.

BTW, you don't need to/shouldn't mess with the base bevel once it is set. Just get a 93 degree side edge guide like one of these.

Thanks for the info! So can you help we understand why 93 and not 87 for side angle?

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks for the info! So can you help we understand why 93 and not 87 for side angle?
It’s the same thing. Just a different way of measuring.
Example below:
North America: 92 degrees ( or 2 degrees)
Europe 88 degrees

4A466437-D315-4869-8CFC-F76F2A71A40E.jpeg

Rancho arguing with his tech-
At 5:50

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
just always tune your skis, and start with a basegrind.

I will always test a skis stock tune, just to try it out (except race skis) and most of the time, bases are uneven, edges are nowhere near what they say, this is including $1500 volkli and $2000 stockli

Toddski13

Wintersteiger/Hotronics
Manufacturer
SkiTalk Sponsor
It isn’t possible to grind ski edges to a 1/10th of a degree using any of the machines currently available. I think all the major manufacturers use Fill machines to finish their skis, Blizzard has a table that states their edge angle tolerances https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/assets/documents/blizzard/blizzard_tuning_chart.pdf as you can see the side edge tolerance is -1°/+2° and the base edge tolerance ±0.2° I would expect other manufacturers tolerances to be similar. Wintersteiger states that the tolerance for base/ side edge angles ground on the new Jupiter series is ±0.2° and ±0.25° for their older machines.
@Swiss Toni - do you have a source for this tolerance information from Wintersteiger? If so, would you please share?