• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random things about Strava

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Might be the pessimist coming out in me but, you're probably right about the petty jerk piece. Especially if there were no obvious signs that you were on an e-bike (and didn't steal anyone's QOM/KOM). I'm not even sure how someone random would know unless they saw you on the trail, then found you on Strava (pretty easy with the segment Leaderboard option for "today"), and then flagged you. :rolleyes:

I will remind you both again that Strava have auto-flagging algorithms. (Though they only admitted to it last year).

As I pointed out above, e-bikes look more aero in the data than even triathlon bikes - and Strava also insist that any unconventionally aero bicycles (faired in ones, velomobiles, ) are flaggable.

using a non-traditional bicycle with full-farings or aerodynamic modifications including velomobiles,

I don't know if they can spot an all-leg bike drafting an e-bike, but they will flag motorpacing for sure.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmm.

Jerks on the internet? Sounds about right.

Apps that use, track and sometimes flag your data? Yup.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure flagging ebike ride set as normal bike ride can be described a computer error. In my mind it's more like properly functioning feature ;)

I meant the part about flagging the same ride twice. Maybe the program just got impatient when it wasn't changed immediately after the first flag.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I meant the part about flagging the same ride twice. Maybe the program just got impatient when it wasn't changed immediately after the first flag.

Flagging the same ride twice does have a definite effect (it cannot be dismissed) so it might totally be a programming feature - but I didn't see where in @Tricia's post she said that the same ride got flagged?

The first time I was flagged, I thought, "Oh gee I didn't know that was there, glad someone flagged me so I can change it."
The second time I was...WTF!!! Maybe I'm wrong but that time I figured it was a petty jerk.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been flagged for a false high speed section, which is really only when I'm on my bike going down hill to my house.
I've only been flagged for not changing my ride type from Ride to E-Bike Ride. At the pace that I ride, I am confident that someone flagged it and not in the algorithms because I am not a fast rider, even with e-assist.

Example of my speed on a typical ride in comparison to @AmyPJ who is not on e-assist
View attachment 136319

View attachment 136320
That was a fun ride for me this morning! I set a PR on a mile-ish climbing segment, which was a nice pat on the back after my ass-kicking in the race. The race final results show me as DNF. I am raising a stink over that as I'm not happy about it!

Anyway, Strava is weird at times, and I know some of its due to relying on GPS. If I ride with a group, we all get different distances and elevations. With that, it's hard to know how accurate the segment recordings really are (probably not great.)

That being said, I would not have pushed myself quite so hard this morning without Strava. I was feeling quite good, so decided to push hard on a few segments and it was nice to see some results. The worst is when I push hard and my times are slow :roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Scroll lock? I just went there again and don't get that, on Chrome, Brave or Firefox.
Nope, not that. Using the same instance in Chrome as I use for the site it just scrolls up after scrolling down. Weird.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Flagging the same ride twice does have a definite effect (it cannot be dismissed) so it might totally be a programming feature - but I didn't see where in @Tricia's post she said that the same ride got flagged?
It was two different rides that were flagged.
And you may be right about how it happened.
I got this notice this morning after my ride and before I edited it.
E5ECFC49-0EDD-4ECF-95D6-F62E9F6728AD.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Haha!! I read that line and I translate that as "We caught your lyin' ass!! We'll give you the opportunity to change your bullshit story before we come to your house and burn it down!" :roflmao:
Thank goodness they put it in bold print so I could kinda read it without my glasses.:cool:

Sponsor