• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ratio of Lesson to Non Lesson Days on the hill

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Once of the nice things about taking lessons and clinics on an ongoing basis is that you develop the ability to read the feedback from your skiing. For example if make a bad turn or end up back seat on my skis, I know it and will actively work to adjust my stance and correct the bad form ... but as the old saying goes the first step is admitting you have a problem and most skiers simply do not know how to read the feedback. Have a great friend who buys super long skis, and recently got a pair of appropriately length skis. There first statement was I got these skis to short and they do not perform well, even had them tuned. My friend unfortunately skis back seat big time ... hands drag behind them and there is 0 forward pressure on their skis. Essentially they are skiing on the tails of their skis which makes turning difficult. Despite mentioning this to them several times and them acknowledging the feedback, nothing has changed and it does not appear they even realize they are doing this. My guess is that many skiers have bad habits that they are nt aware of or do not notice ... this is where coaching and clinics are essential.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
After thinking about this thread for quite some time, I suddenly remembered I have a clean and easy answer for this season...
Lesson days: 1
Non lesson days: 28

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think a good long-term structure (outside of camps etc) is to daily have a subject and do 1 hour of dedicated drilling and technical skiing on that subject and then keep some of that focus throughout the day.
Repeating myself here, but...instructors should always assign homework. As a student, if your instructor doesn't give homework, ask for it. Write down or keep a mental list of the accumulated homework assignments, and keep doing all of them from time to time. Next time you have a lesson, ask for feedback on how well you're performing one or two of them.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Not going to bother taking lessons now. I've accepted the fact that my skiing will only get worse as my diabetes and old age progresses.
When I went to work at Breckenridge as a PSIA LIII in 2008, I was 68. Over the next dozen years, my skiing improved considerably. At 82 now, I'm far less capable physically, but still teachable

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Tough call. There are days where I feel like I can absorb info, and some days where my mental faculty is like a wall.

When in clinics, I generally find that after two days of rewiring movement patterns I am spent. A lot will also depend on where you are in the learning curve. Are you rewiring massive movements? or refining?

Best to you.

Sponsor

Staff online