• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Really good Sidewall cutter?

Marten

Booting up
Skier
I looking for at new sidewall cutter. With square blade. That do not dammage the base on the race skis, when using it. Not in plastic.

@Primoz or some one else, what do they use in the WC?

I live in Sweden, so will buy one in Europe, not the US.

I have a Snowglide tuning machine, wondering if their new sidewall cutter is working well?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I have Swix 103 with square and round blades. Does not damage base but does leave a scuff that could be eliminated with tape and does go away after wax and brush.
20210307_130916.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have this one. Actually have a couple, as does my son. I got his first after we had a friend....a tech on the WC...doing some work in our ski room for an athlete about to test some new skis, late season. He said that "most" of his peers were using that tool at the time.

I've tried most everything, and this has been it for the past, maybe 10-12 seasons. Very easy to pull with. Very stable and smooth. No chatter. Removes a consistent amount of sidewall. I guess in may vary with the ski. I've used in on a bunch of real deal race room skis: Head, Volkl, Nordica, Blizzard, Rossi....and a lot of square sidewall non race room skis. Always delivers good results.

Two of ours are Swix-labeled. Funny, the retail price in the USA for the tool back then seemed like a LOT more than this price.

Great tool.

sidewall-planer-proffessional-square

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I looking for at new sidewall cutter. With square blade. That do not dammage the base on the race skis, when using it. Not in plastic.
@Primoz or some one else, what do they use in the WC?

I just went to check on Tesma site (neigboor's store :D ) what do they have and was really surprised with prices. I knew that sidewall cutters are not really cheap, but I didn't think they cost THAT much. I use something that is pretty much exactly same as this one:
Works great and from what I saw, it's relatively "cheap" compared to others. As for WC goes, for speed, most of guys are now using machines, as it really makes such great sidewall in minute, that you would need to spend hour or more doing it by hand. But they all still have pretty much exactly same ones as the one from Tesma link above. Next to that there's whole bunch of custom made stuff for bastard files (similar to this https://www.tesmasport.com/ski-tuni...wall-planers/snoli-sidewall-cutter-alu-cut-70), but for home use, I would say it's overkill.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just went to check on Tesma site (neigboor's store :D ) what do they have and was really surprised with prices. I knew that sidewall cutters are not really cheap, but I didn't think they cost THAT much. I use something that is pretty much exactly same as this one:
Works great and from what I saw, it's relatively "cheap" compared to others. As for WC goes, for speed, most of guys are now using machines, as it really makes such great sidewall in minute, that you would need to spend hour or more doing it by hand. But they all still have pretty much exactly same ones as the one from Tesma link above. Next to that there's whole bunch of custom made stuff for bastard files (similar to this https://www.tesmasport.com/ski-tuni...wall-planers/snoli-sidewall-cutter-alu-cut-70), but for home use, I would say it's overkill.
Ya don't need that thing. Just get an Artech 7 Degree Side Edge bevel Guide for $40 and a short panzer file https://www.artechski.com/artech-side-edge-file-guides/

https://www.artechski.com/swix-panzer-file-10cm-12tpi/ $55.00

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do this with The Beast Unit. So simple, and a took I have in hand a lot, so it feels familiar.
Simpler......The Artech is similar to a SVST side edge guide. You just use a spring clip to hold the panzer, which I prefer. I have never been a fan of Beasts screw on holding plates.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do this with The Beast Unit. So simple, and a took I have in hand a lot, so it feels familiar.
I also have the Beast sidewall planer. It has worked fine, was just using it the other day, although I did get chatter on one pair of skis. I suppose different sidewall materials could respond differently to the panzer file. To each their own, but I always looked at the spring clamps as less secure than a screwed down tool like the Beasts.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I also have the Beast sidewall planer. It has worked fine, was just using it the other day, although I did get chatter on one pair of skis. I suppose different sidewall materials could respond differently to the panzer file. To each their own, but I always looked at the spring clamps as less secure than a screwed down tool like the Beasts.

Better than the spring clamp or the screw down contraption is to use Irwin quick clamps; the holding power of the screw down with the quick ease of use of a spring clamp. Best of both worlds...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Better than the spring clamp or the screw down contraption is to use Irwin quick clamps; the holding power of the screw down with the quick ease of use of a spring clamp. Best of both worlds...
I have a bunch of these in different sizes for home improvement projects, but never thought about using them for tuning. I already have several Beast side tools, so no going back now. But not the Beast base tool, that looks a little janky. As a recreational skier, I just use a Swix 1* base tool, the old blue one with the hardened pins to resist abrasion by the steel edge.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ya don't need any of those contraptions, I've tried them all. Spring clamp on the top & your thumb in the middle, I have never had one move or slip.....EVER!
ski1219-tuningpromo.jpg

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
these are solid.
The Advantages to the FK/SKS is it has a round and square blade option and you don't need a tool to adjust where the blade lines up on the sidewall, not depth but (which is also adjustable) but laterally....it has a thumb screw.

Sponsor

Staff online