• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Really good Sidewall cutter?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ya don't need any of those contraptions, I've tried them all. Spring clamp on the top & your thumb in the middle, I have never had one move or slip.....EVER! View attachment 131184

Which I also used for years... and then I tried using the Irwin clamp and experienced just how much more solid the connection between the file and the guide was and how much easier it was to use the tool with precision. Just trying to help out a few folks with a better way. Trust me that it is better... :)

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
@Noodler : does your Irwin clamp look like this:

Attachments

• 0_280490-1.jpg
    0_280490-1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 15

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
Can someone explain round vs square cutters?
The square cutter makes most sense to me but I see a lot of tools with round cutters.

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
^ Yea, I get that.
But why one vs. the other?
I've only ever used a square cutter, it seems like a more precise tool.

As the edge gets thinner over time won't the round cutter start gouging into the actual sidewall of the ski (vs. just cutting the sidewall lip over the edge)? The square cutter can be set parallel to the sidewall to avoid this. What am I missing?

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The round cutter are generally easier to use. It leaves less material on top of the steel ski edge. Usually good for couple tunes.
The square cutter at 45° leaves more material on top of the steel edge for more support. It also cuts into the sidewall more. Not my favorite way for sidewall cutting.
The square cutter "parallel" to the sidewall at a steeper angle than the steel ski edge will generally require a do over on second tuning session. It is basically a panzer with a 7° guide.
I use a Toko square cutter with a small radius on the corner to leave a small cove on top of the at the edge. A panzer for the tip and tail where the two titanal sheets come together.

My usual routine is to rip the sidewall with a cutter at the start of the season. Edge tuning for the rest of the season is usually couple light passes with a panzer before the edge grinder.

On the subject of ski edge durability. My skis flex out long before the edges get thin. I have race skis but I don't race. YMMV.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
My sidewall planer needed way too much adjustment. I switched a hand held panzer, and recently switched to a panzer in a FK/SKS edger modified for 7 degrees. Fixed guides with a spring clamp are fine for filing, but I hardly ever file. the Skivisions adjustable edger works better with stones, but you need to set it carefully for the edge angle you have.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Edge tuning for the rest of the season is usually couple light passes with a panzer before the edge grinder.
I never touch my edges with a panzer, not even to change the edge angle. All I do is work down the shark bites with a coarse stone before I grind the edge. The rock hits are harder than the panzer anyway. I sharpen almost every day, and I don't think my skis would last the season if I used a panzer that way.

dm

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I never touch my edges with a panzer, not even to change the edge angle. All I do is work down the shark bites with a coarse stone before I grind the edge. The rock hits are harder than the panzer anyway. I sharpen almost every day, and I don't think my skis would last the season if I used a panzer that way.

dm

The panzer is only for clearing the side wall material and the titanal. Never use panzer on the steel ski edge. Some people do. I don't.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kinda like the design as you can actually see where the blade is. Mine I can’t see where it is, my eyes won’t focus that close.

Which side wall cutter do you have?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The round cutter are generally easier to use. It leaves less material on top of the steel ski edge. Usually good for couple tunes.
The square cutter at 45° leaves more material on top of the steel edge for more support. It also cuts into the sidewall more. Not my favorite way for sidewall cutting.
The square cutter "parallel" to the sidewall at a steeper angle than the steel ski edge will generally require a do over on second tuning session. It is basically a panzer with a 7° guide.
I use a Toko square cutter with a small radius on the corner to leave a small cove on top of the at the edge. A panzer for the tip and tail where the two titanal sheets come together.

My usual routine is to rip the sidewall with a cutter at the start of the season. Edge tuning for the rest of the season is usually couple light passes with a panzer before the edge grinder.

On the subject of ski edge durability. My skis flex out long before the edges get thin. I have race skis but I don't race. YMMV.
I also find this (round cutter = easier), for all the reasons kinggrump states.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which side wall cutter do you have?
840F2DCA-691B-4EE8-BB2D-C3467CA49344.jpeg

Three points to adjust, height on each end and one for blade (other side, in, out ) I’m farsighted and my glasses are set to focus at reading distance, to set it correctly you really gotta get close, to close for me to see. Worked great years ago… I don’t understand lol.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 177187
Three points to adjust, height on each end and one for blade (other side, in, out ) I’m farsighted and my glasses are set to focus at reading distance, to set it correctly you really gotta get close, to close for me to see. Worked great years ago… I don’t understand lol.

Sucks being old. :ogbiggrin:

I have progressive lens for far sight and reading. Still have to take off my glasses for close up work. It suck but beats being dead sucks more. :beercheer:

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
Where are you guys finding 83 degree edge guides?
I see a few 85 degree guides...
If I'm tuning my edges to 88 degrees, would a panzer in an 85 degree guide take off enough sidewall?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Race Place, the online shop run by Scott and Eric Holmer sells a short panzer file and 7 degree guide called the “Plane Beast”. Used to be called the Side of the Beast, I think.

My kids used them when they were younger teens, simple, pretty effective, and reasonable.

I think FKS and others market essentially the same thing.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Where are you guys finding 83 degree edge guides?
One of these:
fk 3100.jpg

Take it apart, turn the adjusting wheel upside down and put it back together = 7 degrees. Best sidewall planer I ever had.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online