• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Really wide feet youth racer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
My kid goes to 2nd year U12 this coming season.
He’s grown quite quickly during the pandemic and now he’s 5’3 and 142lbs.
As far as I measure at home, he needs 26.5 mondo with 110~115mm last boots.
Last season I was able to put him in Lange junior RS 70 boots after 5 visits of well-known boot fitter.
It was a tired process but the fitter was finally made it fit. That time my kid’s foot last was measured around 103mm.
So it was at least fittable when his last was around 103mm but now he has 115mm last.
So what boots options could be even possible or fittable going forward for him.
I dont think he can go with any junior racing boots from now on..
He’s just 12 and goes podium in his age group.
I would like him stay with racing boots if possible but I don’t know how much it can be stretches.
Any racing parents or former racers has similar headaches?
Sure I will talk to boot fitter first when he’s open but I would like to have at least some idea what route I can take.
I dont like the idea of having him in an adult wide foot recreational boot like Hawx Magna as one shop last year recommended.
Any advice ahead would be appreciate!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I dont like the idea of having him in an adult wide foot recreational boot like Hawx Magna as one shop last year recommended.
5'3" and 142lbs, and a 26.5cm x 110mm is an adult size body and foot. What is it about an "adult wide foot recreational boot" that you don't like?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
5'3" and 142lbs, and a 26.5cm x 110mm is an adult size body and foot. What is it about an "adult wide foot recreational boot" that you don't like?

The non-solid plastic boot sole. OP, Some of the Dalbello white boots might be a place to start, then there's always grinding and heat. :)

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier

They are generally intended to be comfy rather than performing.. I want him to stay with well fitted boot for competition as long as we can..

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
The non-solid plastic boot sole. OP, Some of the Dalbello white boots might be a place to start, then there's always grinding and heat. :)

I was looking for Dalbello DRS 90 as it offers wider last 98mm than others. But I am still wondering how far it can be ground and stretched..
Thank you for comment!

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
They are generally intended to be comfy rather than performing.. I want him to stay with well fitted boot for competition as long as we can..

tube - I appreciate your concern, But - I think you also need a 'real-world' solution -

what about a shell that has fit, flex, and performance potential, With a Performance aftermarket liner ( Intuition ) --

I recognize that cost may be a consideration, but a 200. liner is not going to be a tipping-point ( at least it should not (be) ) -
( Atomic also makes some Very Good liners. you might find a good Atomic dealer would order a pair of their Performance (replacement) liners to customize a boot for your son ( If Not, I would suggest looking elsewhere )

( Lange also has a wide shell (now)
Lange's LX shell appears to have potential )

( also Tecnica HVs Mach ( and Sport ) )

I believe you (and your son) will get better performance out of an appropriate shell, than by trying to stretch a small racing shell to a point of great deformity
( a 26.5 on a five foot three inch frame. . . I would not be dismissive of the Hawx magna series. That IS a quality boot.
IF you want to try to enhance the performance, my comment about a uptick in liner performance stands -

( the one note of caution I would offer is these boots are not designed for someone who is five-three
( it would be a tall boot for someone that I believe has a growth-spurt coming ) )

Good luck... skiJ

postscript. be aware of the possibility that with a (thin) performance liner, you ( your son ) may not need the length of a 26.5 shell -
there are some intricacies here that we are not going to effectively convey through exchanging posts, but I would seriously consider a (an adult) shell that more nearly fits your son, that with less drastic modification might actually offer better performance ( Good luck... )

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
tube - I appreciate your concern, But - I think you also need a 'real-world' solution -

what about a shell that has fit, flex, and performance potential, With a Performance aftermarket liner ( Intuition ) --

I recognize that cost may be a consideration, but a 200. liner is not going to be a tipping-point ( at least it should not (be) ) -
( Atomic also makes some Very Good liners. you might find a good Atomic dealer would order a pair of their Performance (replacement) liners to customize a boot for your son ( If Not, I would suggest looking elsewhere )

( Lange also has a wide shell (now)
Lange's LX shell appears to have potential )

( also Tecnica HVs Mach ( and Sport ) )

I believe you (and your son) will get better performance out of an appropriate shell, than by trying to stretch a small racing shell to a point of great deformity
( a 26.5 on a five foot three inch frame. . . I would not be dismissive of the Hawx magna series. That IS a quality boot.
IF you want to try to enhance the performance, my comment about a uptick in liner performance stands -

( the one note of caution I would offer is these boots are not designed for someone who is five-three
( it would be a tall boot for someone that I believe has a growth-spurt coming ) )

Good luck... skiJ

postscript. be aware of the possibility that with a (thin) performance liner, you ( your son ) may not need the length of a 26.5 shell -
there are some intricacies here that we are not going to effectively convey through exchanging posts, but I would seriously consider a (an adult) shell that more nearly fits your son, that with less drastic modification might actually offer better performance ( Good luck... )

J, you're giving very specific advice without seeing a foot, speaking to a coach, or knowing the athlete. He's in a race program. Block race soles always win the lateral transmission of movement/forces contest. Anything with a gripwalk sole most likely won't be compatible with race bindings. I also most certainly WOULD NOT recommend an intuition liner for a young U12 racer. He's a U12 with a big foot, that's all. There are a number of products out there in Jr. race boot world that will work just fine for him with a little love and attention from a boot fitter. We get kids like this sorted out all the time for local race programs.

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
mark -

my comments are responsive and include a Very broad disclaimer that this is Not a matter resolved through an exchange of forum posts ;
my comments are meant to offer a parent encouragement. ( period. That's all. encouragement to a parent. )

None of the boots I have referenced use a Grip Walk sole ( and I have decades of experience with Lange products. ) ;
I believe the Intuition Pro Tongue liner ( or their new Plug Race liner, though I doubt a twelve year old needs a liner that much stiffer ) MIGHT BE an alternative for a Twelve year old with a 115mm forefoot ( I also suggested a manufacturer's upgrade, though in reviewing the Spec.s of the Hawx Magna, ,,, I believe it is a quality liner, though it may be ( 'plush' ) for racing
( please remember, we are talking about a twelve year old. ( he could need different boots before the end of the season ) )

a quick review of the "Jr. race boot world " shows lots of boots with lasts <100mm -
yes, I suppose you can make these 'work just fine' for a kid with a 115mm foot ( from a 97mm last, that is almost two centimeters. Good luck )
(( I would offer(,) a 26.5 that is 115mm wide in the forefoot is more than simply 'a big foot' . ( and that is a different discussion. ))

" race programs" come in all shapes and sizes -
Clearly, tube is dedicated to seeing his son has proper equipment ( and he makes no mention of the race program providing equipment expertise ) ;

your profile identifies you as an industry insider, instructor, and field rep. for the products you use - That's great.
If tube is in the 'PNW aka SEA' I hope you will provide them with helpful recommendations or helpful suggestions
(( I see you did mention the Dalbello Race series ( which has 98mm lasted models ) - Thank you. ))

Thank you - I stand by my comments. skiJ

edit. postscript -

race block soles. lateral transmission of movement/forces. race bindings...

the Race programs I have been involved with for Twelve year olds ( .... no longer "U12". ) ....
... the Race programs I have been involved with for Twelve year olds emphasis Fun ! And technique.

it took me a long time to learn that it was far better to fit the skier properly, than to try to make equipment "work" because it has the right Spec. or look or . . . ( classification ( Race / Junior race ) .

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
U12 programs always should be for fun. A good friend runs a U12 program in a large club locally. Even he has a wide foot we've modified for him. He baulked at grinding his feet, so we ground and punched his boots. ogsmile Funny thing is, there's one jr. locally that pretty much matches the OP's son's foot description... he was in a Lange RS 70, and now an RS 90... worked with his instep height/ankle/heel volume, and of course he can flex the boot. Trim to fit footbed as well.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but we fit race program kids a lot. Hopefully the experience counts for something when people here ask questions that are in the generally answerable wheel house. And again, I've never seen a U12 or pretty much any junior in an intuition liner. It's a fairly large and very very optional expense for rapidly changing feet and bodies. But if your experience fitting and or coaching can shine a light into alternatives that have really worked, I'm actually all ears and curiousity. Not boots, but Bode won jr. Nat's on K2 Fours after all, and it's ways good to revisit our assumptions.

:beercheer:

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
U12 programs always should be for fun. A good friend runs a U12 program in a large club locally. Even he has a wide foot we've modified for him. He baulked at grinding his feet, so we ground and punched his boots. ogsmile Funny thing is, there's one jr. locally that pretty much matches the OP's son's foot description... he was in a Lange RS 70, and now an RS 90... worked with his instep height/ankle/heel volume, and of course he can flex the boot. Trim to fit footbed as well.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but we fit race program kids a lot. Hopefully the experience counts for something when people here ask questions that are in the generally answerable wheel house. And again, I've never seen a U12 or pretty much any junior in an intuition liner. It's a fairly large and very very optional expense for rapidly changing feet and bodies. But if your experience fitting and or coaching can shine a light into alternatives that have really worked, I'm actually all ears and curiousity. Not boots, but Bode won jr. Nat's on K2 Fours after all, and it's ways good to revisit our assumptions.

:beercheer:

Thank you for sharing your experience!!

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Lange make an RS wide which is 100mm last (in size 26.5) so a good starting point, they make it in 100-130 flex it isnt a fis boot but will perform perfectly well for him as he isnt skiing fis..... it will still take some work but equally so will any boot, without seeing his foot it is impossible to say exactly how much work as most peoples feet will tolerate some level of compression, the use of an OTC insert will help narrow his foot a little (or at least stop it spreading) the other thing to have the fitter check is his ankle joint flexibility, if he is lacking in that then any boot will be narrow (or at least feel it)

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
tube -

I apologize for polluting your thread -

You are trying to do well by your son - I admire that and I Respect that -

the circumstance you described poses a challenge, and there are multiple options to consider to find a solution...

I will respectfully 'bow out' (of your thread) .

Good luck... skiJ

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Lange make an RS wide which is 100mm last (in size 26.5) so a good starting point, they make it in 100-130 flex it isnt a fis boot but will perform perfectly well for him as he isnt skiing fis..... it will still take some work but equally so will any boot, without seeing his foot it is impossible to say exactly how much work as most peoples feet will tolerate some level of compression, the use of an OTC insert will help narrow his foot a little (or at least stop it spreading) the other thing to have the fitter check is his ankle joint flexibility, if he is lacking in that then any boot will be narrow (or at least feel it)

Yes. Lange offers RS wide versions but they only offer at 110 and 130 flexes. I quite doubt if my kid is ready to flex the 110. Last season he was on the 70 flex boots. I think 70 to 110 would be too much.. So I kind of ruled out the Lange RS but I will try. Thank you!!

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
tube -

I apologize for polluting your thread -

You are trying to do well by your son - I admire that and I Respect that -

the circumstance you described poses a challenge, and there are multiple options to consider to find a solution...

I will respectfully 'bow out' (of your thread) .

Good luck... skiJ
No way you polluted the thread. Any advice or comments would be welcomed! I appreciated your comments!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes. Lange offers RS wide versions but they only offer at 110 and 130 flexes. I quite doubt if my kid is ready to flex the 110. Last season he was on the 70 flex boots. I think 70 to 110 would be too much.. So I kind of ruled out the Lange RS but I will try. Thank you!!

Shells can be cut to soften, but yes, there might be a better starting point with another boot. Tough to say without seeing the skier, their foot, and seeing some film of their skiing.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider

they make a short cuff 100 wide, it is only marginally stiffer than the 90 flex and as Mark said above it is an easy job for a boot fitter to soften a shell, besides at 142lb or 64kg a 100 flex boot is verging on soft

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Put the kid in an adult boot. You can get a Technica in a 102 width and maybe a 90 flex but I don't think a 110 is too stiff.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
they make a short cuff 100 wide, it is only marginally stiffer than the 90 flex and as Mark said above it is an easy job for a boot fitter to soften a shell, besides at 142lb or 64kg a 100 flex boot is verging on soft

Thank you for the info!
So the wide version comes with 100mm last. Would it be possible to be punched about to 115mm? I have no sense of how far the polyurethane can be stretched out.. Is it still doable?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thank you for the info!
So the wide version comes with 100mm last. Would it be possible to be punched about to 115mm? I have no sense of how far the polyurethane can be stretched out.. Is it still doable?
I have the Technica 102 width in a 26.5 and my right foot is 111 and I didn't need it to get punched my left foot is 109 but longer than the right also not punched.

What is your location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online