• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Regardless on what people say about Soul7, for me it's really cool ski. Only "problem" is, I have original, non-HD version, which is beautiful for powder, but as soon as it gets a bit harder or chopped it's just too soft. And those I got are too short (180cm). As they are pretty beaten up, I still keep them for days, when there's not enough base up in mountains, and with their weight and light tech binding, they do well even for long skimo tours. My primary powder ski nowadays is Super7 RD which is 190, and its super stable even on hard(er) snow. It's still playful enough I can easy go for tree skiing, and it works perfectly in pow. Once used to race skis, you sort of keep skiing the way you are used on race skis, so skis need to work when you come to something harder.
Super7 might be a bit of overkill with 116mm under foot for HD and 120mm for RD version, and they are quite a bit heavier then Soul7, so for what you ask, I would definitely go with Soul7 HD. About size, I don't know, probably 180 would be ok for you, but I would still go with 188cm, and some 2 to 2.5cm backward mount. It floats better when need, it's more stable at higher speed, and with only about 1m of real edge (all other is rocker) it's short enough to handle even tight trees. And with being ex racer you have ability to turn it ;)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The HD really isnt better in chop.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As others have mentioned, lots of “playful Chargers” out there that are fun, playful and easy to ski but have solid backbones and decent weight so they can still rip through tracked out conditions.

The Enforcer Free 104, K2 Mindbender 108ti and Moment Wildcat 108 out this summer are the reference standards in the class.

If you want wider ski, the Moment Wildcat or an older pair of Moment Bibby’s even in 174cm would be an awesome ski for you.

People who think skis like the Soul 7/HD/etc “aren’t too bad in crud/harder snow/at speed” really need to do themselves a favor and try some of the skis listed above in bad conditions. It will blow your mind how much better they are in roughed up conditions especially at higher speeds.

Soul 7 and others like it are perfect for beginners/intermediates just learning to ski powder and skiing at slower speeds in soft snow. Dream rental ski and that’s why it is just that. A more skilled skier facing varied conditions at higher speeds will find many more options out there to better serve their needs.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
One needs to understand the OP is light at 5'7" 135# that is also my size/weight. Some of the advice in this thread is obviously coming from weightier men that may not appreciate how differently skis flex at such lower weights. Accordingly I always trust inputs more from others, IF they indicate their own ballpark weight.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m a 6’2/175 “ex racer type” and I’m skiing the skis I recommended 2 sizing steps larger with ease than someone with similar ability could easily ski at 5’7”/135lbs. Anyone of that size and ability should have no issues with skiing playful charger powder skis in the 172cm/174cm size. Their forgiving tip/tail flex, larger tip/tail rocker and the fact that some of these are twin tips all make for skis that will ski quite a bit shorter than traditional skis.

These skis are just as easy to ski as the 172cm Soul 7 the OP skied in untracked powder and had no issue with but would be far easier to ski once the snow got tracked out and have much greater performance on groomers too.

On piste skis with less rocker and stiffer, less forgiving tails I’d recommend something shorter of course. For heavily rockered, less traditional binding mounts in med flexing powder skis, 172-174cm is perfect.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OP what is your budget?
If you can afford $$$$, then a boutique ski like renoun/stockli have fancy wizard magic in them, that will allow it to absorb the chop and chunk like a bigger ski but without being bigger; but it'll cost you the same as 2 pairs of mass-market skis.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want wider ski, the Moment Wildcat or an older pair of Moment Bibby’s even in 174cm would be an awesome ski for you.

Liz is the same size as the OP and really likes the Wildcat at 174. She doesn't ski like a racer (learned as an adult, and is on her 4th full season of skiing), so it shouldn't be too demanding.

It's not the most directional ski, if that matters. I think most people can adapt fine, and might enjoy the playful side of the ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Demo. But,

116 Moment Wildcats 184 (formerly Bibby Pro). This powder/crud/groomer ski is easy if you can carve/release, and enjoy a bit o' the fall line. Playful.
112 Volkl V-Werks Katana 184. Pricey but tops. Just one ski for everything - if you can carve as well as slarve. Very forgiving ski.
105 K2 Pinnacle 184. (Last few years' were unchanged, but changed this year to Mindbender 108 - not as good for your purposes (powder/crud/trees/groomers), unless modified a bit, not yet sure how); 105 best with the front and rear contact points/areas base bevel increased (greater slope, greater release/forgiveness in those areas, good for playfulness in powder/crud while still engaging edge when wanted, or laid over a bit).
98 Blizzard Bonafide 180 (the lastest version only for lighter but skilled folk, this year 19/20 and last 18/19).
(The actual straight-measured length of these is only around 177/178.) This ski loves soft snow and crud. But it has a powder limit (maybe 6 to 8"), especially in thicker snow. Maybe. The first world powder competitions happened this year, and were won by a pair of brothers on Bonafides! (Not sure what length,)
98 V-Werks Mantra 177 or 186. New since 10/18. Great ski for your purpose (part of a quiver that includes race skis). My favorite new one this year. Also pricey.

The reason to go with skis on the longer side a bit, a size or so longer than your 172s, is for fore-aft balance when hitting drifts, uneven snow, chop, crud, varied thicknesses, and heavy snow. The extra length will absorb the shock of impacts - enough so you hardly feel them with the right ski in the right, longer length. (I'm 5'10" and at times under 150 lbs., ex-racer. and I often go with these powder/crud skis in both the lengths above and in longer lengths including 190+.) GS ski dynamics, or between SL and GS..

severou

Booting up
Skier
I am a lowly intermediate, but living in Japan I can ski quite a bit of powder so my powder level is higher then my hard snow lvl. I did not see these skis mentioned so I will put them out here since I love them. Atomic BC 100. I am 178cm 80kg and ski the 188cm. What is neat about them is that while they have a lot of camber front is very soft and they plane very easily even with my weight. On fresh groomer at speed they still bounce you from turn to turn in a very satisfying manner and carve super nice arcs. I ski powder in bouncy fashion and they work really well for that. They are also cheap and very light.

There is also a ski I tried on a big powder day that were crazy floating even at moderate(for me for you probably crawl) speed they swim like a fish right next to surface, maybe that is why the name? Line Pescado, I also demoed their little brother Sakana on frozen groomer day and hated those. So these are probably Powder only skis but what skis they are..

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As others have mentioned, lots of “playful Chargers” out there that are fun, playful and easy to ski but have solid backbones and decent weight so they can still rip through tracked out conditions.

The Enforcer Free 104, K2 Mindbender 108ti and Moment Wildcat 108 out this summer are the reference standards in the class.

I don't disagree about the reference standards, but a bit of an early call since I am not even sure if these skis are for sale yet? They are getting the hype for sure, but that's true of every new ski. Let's agree to call them the up and coming reference standards.

For the OP, since you only own race skis (I can relate) you will be best served with a "wider ski" rather than a powder ski. Semantics of course, but most power skis are really wide 115+mm (for the average male), surfy, and not good on groomers (there are some exceptions) and really only should come out on powder days. A wide ski (95-105mm) will handle almost anything (including powder) and be good when the powder is gone and conditions are soft, but crud. You will be in dense wet snow a lot, so the "playful Charger" seems like the right call. Enough stiffness to push the snow around, rather than the other way.

I personally like Ski Otter 2's list and will add the Moment Bibby (renamed the Wildcat) is a wide playful charger that is a pretty amazing ski. Its the best combination of powder and charger out there. It skis like its about 100mm wide, yet floats close to a 115 ski. It has some rocker, but not too much. You could say just enough to make it perform well. My son has the 184cm length and skis it 100% of the time on the East Coast. He is a teenager, but the ski is that good, too. The Blizzard Bonafide is a really good all arounder for a 100mm ski that ex racers like a lot.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Scott B brings up good points.

I am on a SL and GS ski most free skiing days. Working on a Stockli Laser AX.

For a powder / play ski I just received a pair of Head Kore 99's in 171. They seem to do the trick. I'm 160ish, 5'9"ish. I really like the Stormriders, but they wanted to be too serious when I just wanted a ski to play on. They wanted a relationship. I wanted to be casual. They didn't appreciate fart jokes.

With a race background you have technical proficient that many don't. Most of the x-racers, PSIA DCl / examiners , etc that I ski with are skiing something in that 100 range on a bomber powder day. I've also spent a day skiing powder, then crud, on Dynastar Speedzones with a certain pink helmet wearing PSIA D-Team member.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't disagree about the reference standards, but a bit of an early call since I am not even sure if these skis are for sale yet? They are getting the hype for sure, but that's true of every new ski. Let's agree to call them the up and coming reference standards.

I own a pair of the new Nordica Enforcer 104 Free skis and have put 3 full days/115k vert on them already. Have been on the Mindbenders as well during a demo and all the MB models are legit. A bit lighter than my Enforcer Free but damp, solid and stable feeling as well but still playful especially when the mount is moved forward a bit. I would be happy owning either one.

The Wildcat 108 does not come out till the Summer and I’m one of the many people that was pondering getting a custom one built the same way. It would have a heavier weight similar to the old 116/118mm wide Bibby but using the newer and improved construction techniques that are used in the new Wildcat. This new model will be even more damp and better through crud than a Bibby but with lighter swing weight and much quicker edge/edge as it’s only 108 underfoot. Moment fans/your son’s/ex racer’s dream ski coming to life!!
I own Moment Bibby’s and PB&Js now and this ski could replace both in my quiver.

I’m in Canada so US made skis are expensive here and got the Enforcer Free for a deal as a stop gap till this ski comes out.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own a pair of the new Nordica Enforcer 104 Free skis and have put 3 full days/115k vert on them already. Have been on the Mindbenders as well during a demo and all the MB models are legit. A bit lighter than my Enforcer Free but damp, solid and stable feeling as well but still playful especially when the mount is moved forward a bit. I would be happy owning either one.

The Wildcat 108 does not come out till the Summer and I’m one of the many people that was pondering getting a custom one built the same way. It would have a heavier weight similar to the old 116/118mm wide Bibby but using the newer and improved construction techniques that are used in the new Wildcat. This new model will be even more damp and better through crud than a Bibby but with lighter swing weight and much quicker edge/edge as it’s only 108 underfoot. Moment fans/your son’s/ex racer’s dream ski coming to life!!
I own Moment Bibby’s and PB&Js now and this ski could replace both in my quiver.

I’m in Canada so US made skis are expensive here and got the Enforcer Free for a deal as a stop gap till this ski comes out.
Will this wildcat have metal in it?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Will this wildcat have metal in it?

No metal but they will be “adjust construction to add weight and dampness without changing the feel”. Find my Bibby’s and PB&Js have a very damp and solid feel with skis that damp usually do have metal in them.

Compared to the Bibby, the Wildcat has semi cap construction now near the tip/tails to save weight and prevent top sheet chipping and have gone to carbon infused fiberglass around their wood core instead of using separate carbon stringers laid on top of the fiberglass. These changes made the Wildcat more consistent between different pairs and also reduced the weight by about 140grams per ski in the 184cm weight. Bibby 184cm was 2140grams, Wildcat 184cm is about 2000grams.

Myself and a bunch of others online were talking about ordering a custom non-tour Wildcat 108(as they had a light touring version in the 108) and many mentioned adding metal/thicker core/heavier fiberglass etc to bring the weight back up to the old wider Bibby weight or beyond in the Wildcat 108 so it would really charge. We had lots of theories on how they could do it and Luke from Moment came on that thread and said “we are working on prototypes right now”

All of us Moment fans are very excited! Top sheet looks awesome too.

2889865C-AA0F-465E-AC97-F8F0A986BF8A.png

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP just went on his first date with a good off piste ski. The only solution is to keep dating until you find a good match.

TS
J

Jamey

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've been scouring the local ski shops, but demos are turning out to be difficult to find. Any recommendations for shops with good demo fleets in Portland or around Mt Hood? I know Meadows demo day is coming up at the end of March, but it seems unlikely I will get to test out a powder ski in appropriate conditions then.

Last edited:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
I'm your size and raced (long ago), and ski East and West. I have Kastle FX94s and absolutely love them. They are stiff and narrow and turny (17m) enough to make the groomers lots of fun after the pow has been skied out. And at 135 pounds you'll have plenty of float. I think the newer versions are 95 or 96 mm.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been scouring the local ski shops, but demos are turning out to be difficult to find. Any recommendations for shops with good demo fleets in Portland or around Mt Hood? I know Meadows demo day is coming up at the end of March, but it seems unlikely I will get to test out a powder ski in appropriate conditions then.

I wouldn't count out late March. Last year for Crystal's demo day on the last weekend of the month, we got 8 inches the night before. Year before that was perfect for demoing - pretty variable with soft skied out powder on top, then a cruddier section, then a stretch of groomer to some moguls - super easy to get a feel for the strengths & weaknesses of a ski in a single run. Since it sounds like you're looking more at a fatty all mountain for powder & crud more than a true powder ski, variable conditions also wouldn't be the worst thing.

That being said, in Portland, I've had the best luck demoing through Mountain Shop & Next Adventure (the latter tends to carry more of the softer options similar to the Rossis in years past). Bachelor's demo fleet is pretty robust, and Crows Feet Commons in Bend always seems to have the hard-to-find options my friends are hunting for. Depending on if you're an Ikon/Powder Alliance/Epic passholder, the Whistler Test Center, Stevens & Crystal demo fleets are all pretty stacked.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
6 foot 210 lbs—used to race in school in the 70’s and early 80’s, as well as some Master’s racing in the early 90’s. Old guy now. Recently have been using Enforcer 115’s in 191cm for big powder days, particularly when visiting in Utah and Colorado. With all the great snow at home in the Sierra’s this year, 186cm Enforcer 100’s have been my go to all mountain ski. As Spring skiing has set-in around Tahoe, I noticed the Enforcer 100’s were not liking the early morning icy crust and the tips where getting pushed around a bit in the late afternoon slush. Fortunately, I picked-up a pair of Enforcer 88’s in 186cm a few weeks ago—these are working well, with better hold in the morning crust, very quick and easy in bumps, and they punch through the late afternoon slush with ease, not to mention being decent in 6-8” of fresh snow. The Enforcer 88’s remind me of my previous 185 cm Hell and Back’s from 6 years ago; compared to the Enforcer 100’s they are quicker, have more pop coming out of turns, and work better for on-piste moguls and groomers.