• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Recommend me a mountain.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
With a pretty non-existent season around here, this year, I need to go West. I have not had the best luck with altitude my last few times out West. Since the Canadian ski areas seem to be at a relatively lower elevation, I've been considering heading North and West this time. Never been before, so I'm not sure where to consider.

While I can live off of good skiing alone, this would be with my non-avid skier wife. Thus, I need a place with a few days worth of intermediate terrain as well as a town to keep her busy since she won't ski every day. Nice accommodations and restaurants wouldn't hurt either.

It would also be great if it wasn't hard to travel there.

Just starting my research. Watcha got?

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I lived in Sparwood, home of the Terex, for 10 years and Fernie is good although can be vulnerable to rain. Banff and the Big3 would work but wait until March when it is warmer. Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks are village type resorts with access through Kelowna or perhaps Kamloops. We nickname Big White "Big Whiteout" due to frequent fog. Red and White Water might be in the mix if you fly to Spokane and stay in Nelson. Do not go to Whistler - it's a gong show and there are so many better places to go in Western Canada.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Not in Canada, but Steamboat is pretty low in elevation (base is ~6900 ft), has tons of intermediate terrain and a nice town. There's also the hot springs in town and at Strawberry Park. We went for a week over Christmas and the snow was unbelievable.

I like Banff too, but I'm not sure what the snow situation is this year. The Sunshine base is 7200 ft and Louise is 5400 ft (just looked it up and was surprised how low). There's another one or two mountains in the area (I think one closed in the last few years). The only problem with Banff is if you stay in town you are commuting to ski. If you go by bus then it's a really long ride. Sunshine is closer but Louise is like a 45 minute ride.

Reactions: tch

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The town of Banff is 1385m elevation (4600feet) so definitely very tolerable in terms of elevation. Both SSV and LL have intermediate terrain, and the town of Banff is small but quite fun. There’s several nice walking routes around the town, the Banff gondola, and good restaurants. If your wife likes spas, the one at the Banff Springs Hotel is memorable (but will make skiing look like an inexpensive hobby). If she likes being outside but is not wanting to ski the whole time, there are guided snowshoe tours as well.

coverage this year is thin but still good skiing. All terrain at SSV is open (including Delerium Dive and Southside chutes if you’re looking for challenge) but there are more rocks than usual this season.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Banff, Bend, and Nelson are all worth looking at. I'd add in Whitefish and Schweitzer (staying in Sandpoint). Anchorage requires more time in the air, but it's a real city and Alyeska looks like a very cool ski spot without much of a drive after you land.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
6C740007-7D78-42CE-A66E-FB2B12D33947.jpeg
Been watching your east coast weather, just dreary. Platty friends have all gone fishing.

As you can see we are slammed out here ! Most travelers are chasing bigger storm totals, I’m content with 0 lift lines and leftovers. First two tram laps today, absolutely nobody around, walk on.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

Skier
Why pray tell?
The very short answer is that besides the normal, not sleeping at altitude, I have some pulmonary issues which resulted in SVT's most of the time I was out there. Looking down at the HR monitor and seeing 180bpm most of the week wasn't fun. Didn't help my skiing either.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow. That's rough for a skier. For easy to get to Banff or Whistler.

I've never been either place. We are going to Banff in March. I've heard so many horror stories about rain at Whistler and that seems to keep me away.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Banff and no rush to get there. March and early April are very nice. More comments and photos here:

The other suggestions such as Steamboat and Whistler would be very nice too.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunshine and Lake Louise are great destinations for people looking to stay at a lower elevation. It has been a rough year here though...especially at Lake Louise. We are all hoping for the weather to change, but Louise has only received 6 feet of snow this year and the base at their upper mountain snow plot is at 85cm. Louise doesn't get much snow, so 67% of a low amount is very low.

My guide for skiing louise:
Under 60cm - Very poor - off piste probably shouldn't be open
60-90 cm. Poor- hitting rocks constantly off piste. Most steep terrain remains closed
90-120 cm Fair coverage. It's rocky, but I'm okay bringing out non-rock skis
120-150 Good. No longer hiting rocks on main runs, very steep runs start to open
150-180 - Very good.
180+Excellent This is what we hope to get to by mid march

I haven't been to sunshine this year, but apparently things are better there.

Fernie is having a good season.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Jersey Skier - what kind of elevation are you trying to stay under? Is it really just for sleeping? Or include mountain elevation.
Salt Lake City area could be a consideration as the elevation for sleeping could be in the 4200' range with mountain peaks around 9500' to 11,000' range depending on the resort.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

Skier
@Jersey Skier - what kind of elevation are you trying to stay under? Is it really just for sleeping? Or include mountain elevation.
Salt Lake City area could be a consideration as the elevation for sleeping could be in the 4200' range with mountain peaks around 9500' to 11,000' range depending on the resort.
Honestly not sure how low is enough. I keep coming back to UT, but that would probably be a solo trip. Maybe the gathering if nothing happens before then. While my wife has enjoyed Park City, I'm not too sure she'd be thrilled staying around Sandy.

Sponsor

Staff online